Koolair AC Problem

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Koolair AC Problem

Postby BugTug on Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:09 pm

Need some help on a AC problem. I have a Cutwater 242 with a Koolair AC unit. My Koolair 500 water pump is working when I start my AC but some time in the night the pump stops working. I don't get any errors on my AC screen. It seems to still cool. I have checked my sea water strainer screen for any trash ( it was clean). After turning system off for a hour the pump is working again. I don't want to damage my AC unit. Has anyone had any problem with there AC.
BugTug

City: Beaufort
State/Province: SC

Re: Koolair AC Problem

Postby Capt'nKarl on Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:43 pm

The AC unit should also shut down if there’s no water flow thru the unit. It’s possible you have a trapped air bubble in the line or a loose connection that’s sucking a small amount of air into the line. Maybe after running a few hours the bubble air locks the water pump. Does this happen every time?
Capt'nKarl

City: Garcon Point
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: MANEO

Postby BugTug on Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:44 pm

it just started this week.. When pump is working there is a strong flow of water. We only run the AC at night. I watch it for a hour or so and it is working ok. When in the morning I see no water flow. The pump is warm but not running. There is no air trapped in the Strainer.. I don't know if the pump motor is over temp lockout until powered off to cool.. After one hour its pumping again.
BugTug

City: Beaufort
State/Province: SC

Postby Capt'nKarl on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:03 pm

I’m surprised. On my AC the unit will shut down within 30 seconds and show a high pressure alert if there’s no water flow. Something’s definitely going on and I don’t have any other advice but I’d like to know what you find out.
Good luck!
Capt'nKarl

City: Garcon Point
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: MANEO

Postby knotflying on Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:34 am

BugTug wrote:Need some help on a AC problem. I have a Cutwater 242 with a Koolair AC unit. My Koolair 500 water pump is working when I start my AC but some time in the night the pump stops working. I don't get any errors on my AC screen. It seems to still cool. I have checked my sea water strainer screen for any trash ( it was clean). After turning system off for a hour the pump is working again. I don't want to damage my AC unit. Has anyone had any problem with there AC.

I am not familiar with the Koolair unit, but they all are similar. You say the pump stops running with no errors, but it still seems to cool. Some thermostats have several settings. One setting is to allow the fan to blow even while cooling is not called for. Is it possible that at night your cabin has cooled down enough so that cooling is not called for, but the fan is running? Do you actually hear the compressor kick in and then no water flow?
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Return to Chat