Need help with GC 12 camera

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Need help with GC 12 camera

Postby Boatagain on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Worked my tail off this weekend installing the thing. As always, the hardest part was running the wires, but after a few hours, several band-aids and 800mg of ibuprofen, I succeeded. Mounted the camera on an inverted indoor/outdoor ceiling mount at the rear and on top of the hardtop overhang. Updated the software on the 7612 via Active Captain. Plugged the BNC to BNC coax video cable into the Video1 input on the back of the 7612. Made sure I had 12v to the camera. Went into the video set-up menu on the chart plotter and...no picture. Tried the Video 1 & 2 jacks on both chartplotters (7612xsv and 7612), while selecting the appropriate source, still no joy. Selecting the Video Setup button results in a dead end.

My biggest worry is that I damaged the coax cable while running it between the chartplotter and camera, which would mean, of course, running another cable. There were several “hard pulls” that may have been the culprit and the cable got kinked a few times. Anyone know of a way to test for a damaged cable? Continuity testing with a multimeter is a bit impractical with the two ends 20 or so feet apart. Also, I chose a 50ft cable to be sure I didn’t run short with the next shorter length, a 25 footer. Maybe 50 feet is too long of a run?

I’m hoping it’s a software thing or i’m just not pushing the right buttons on the chartplotter. Plan on calling Garmin this week to see if they can help me sort it out. In the meanwhile, any ideas out there?
Michael, Judy, Porsche, Paige and Harry the Tug Dawg
Boatagain

City: Gaithersburg
State/Province: MD
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 30
Vessel Name: Gatsby

Re: Need help with GC 12 camera

Postby Bruce Moore on Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:04 pm

My home network installed uses something like this.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bruce and Vicki
R-41 Bridge - Hull #4 - Soundtrack - Elliott Bay Marina, Seattle
Bruce Moore

City: Seattle
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Non-Ranger Model: SSBN 658 Mariano G. Vallejo
Vessel Name: Soundtrack
MMSI Number: 368096220

Postby ixlr8 on Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:09 pm

Boatagain wrote: Anyone know of a way to test for a damaged cable? Continuity testing with a multimeter is a bit impractical with the two ends 20 or so feet apart.

Unplug the BNC connector from both ends. Short the center wire to the connector at one end. At the other end check the resistance between the center wire and the connector, it should be zero.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby Boatagain on Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Jim, that’s brilliant! Why didn’t I think of that! Doh.
Boatagain

Postby Boatagain on Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:28 pm

Just to update this thread, by using Jim’s suggestion I was able to verify that the cable is the problem. I killed it while pulling it. Now I’ve got to pull a new cable, but at least I’ve got the dead one in place to pull the new one...and an experience that taught me to use more care.
Boatagain

Postby Boatagain on Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:32 pm

Update: pulled a new cable and voila! Video on the chartplotter!

The cable is plugged into the Video 1 input on the 7612xsv and that’s where it shows up, but it does not appear on its companion 7612 plotter. Garmin installation manual says that video cannot be transmitted over the NMEA2000 network. Anyone know if its possible to have the video from the GC 12 appear on both plotters?
Boatagain

Postby Dale777 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:24 pm

Boatagain,

Have you considered installing a 2-way coax video splitter at the forward end of your coax? One output of the splitter would have coax to the 7612 and the other output would have coax to the 7612xsv. You can test this before running more cable by stringing some temporary cable out the window to the other chartplotter.

Coax splitter:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/ideal-zinc-2-w ... gK5HPD_BwE
Dale, My sister's art: http://www.cindydaunis.com/
My edit [] of: "The horn [ocean] stirs memories of fearful things, of powerful things, of noble and beautiful things!" by John Williams. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gztnm6GS9M
Dale777

City: Ft. Myers Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Vessel Name: TANGENT (2014)

Postby Boatagain on Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:27 am

Thanks Dale777, the use of a splitter is a great idea. However, I think I’d rather rub ground glass in my eye rather then run another cable anytime soon. Instead, what about using the splitter at the back end, just before the cable ends at the two chartplotters? That should work, right?

One other note: I’m a little disappointed with the quality of the image on the screen. I’ve adjusted brightness, saturation and contrast on the chartplotter, but it’s still too much like an old pre-HDTV picture, maybe even a little worse. Perhaps I’m too used to today’s 4K images?
Boatagain

Postby Admiral S on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:09 pm

The video inputs are shared via the Garmin Marine Network (Ethernet cable) between the different plotters.

This works great on my boat with multiple cameras.

Check the Ethernet cables between the 2 displays.

Also on the other display, select Video, Menu, Input Settings and Show all.

You should then be able to select the camera
Admiral S

City: Stony Point
State/Province: NY
Non-Ranger Model: Helmsman Trawlers 43 Pilot House
Vessel Name: Varka (2017)
MMSI Number: 338238995

Postby ixlr8 on Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:30 pm

Boatagain wrote:T
One other note: I’m a little disappointed with the quality of the image on the screen. I’ve adjusted brightness, saturation and contrast on the chartplotter, but it’s still too much like an old pre-HDTV picture, maybe even a little worse. Perhaps I’m too used to today’s 4K images?

If you look at the specs for that camera you will see the resolution is between std def tv and HDTV. Which is why it looks like it does. The only Garmin camera I can find that supports HDTV quality images is the GC 200.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby Boatagain on Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:58 pm

Thanks Jim, that makes sense.

Admiral S: the Ethernet port on the back of the 7612xsv is occupied with an Ethernet cable that goes I-don’t-know-where (the depth transducer?), while the same port on the 7612 is unused. I don’t see a way to connect the two units via ethernet.
Boatagain

Postby Admiral S on Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:15 pm

Boatagain wrote:Thanks Jim, that makes sense.

Admiral S: the Ethernet port on the back of the 7612xsv is occupied with an Ethernet cable that goes I-don’t-know-where (the depth transducer?), while the same port on the 7612 is unused. I don’t see a way to connect the two units via ethernet.
Can you see Radar on both screens?

If so they are connected together

If not, you will need a GMS10 switch to connect everything together
Admiral S

City: Stony Point
State/Province: NY
Non-Ranger Model: Helmsman Trawlers 43 Pilot House
Vessel Name: Varka (2017)
MMSI Number: 338238995

Postby Boatagain on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:14 am

Yes, I can see radar on both units. In fact, many other functions are mirrored on each plotter. I believe, though I could be wrong, that this communication happens over the NMEA2000 network which Garmin says will not carry the video signal.

I dunno, if it works on yours, why not mine? You do have the 7612, not the newer 8612, right?

Frustrated :x
Boatagain

Return to Chat