Confused!!!

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Confused!!!

Postby cygnussailor on Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:53 pm

A Ranger 27 pulled into the slip next to mine in my home marina. The owner gave me a personal tour. I'm interested in going the trawler route and I'm very interested in the Ranger 27. That being said, I'm also interested in the Cutwater 28. The fact that both of these are trailerable without special permits is a major factor. Does anyone know if there is some dealership in Michigan where I could compare the two side-by-side? Any opinions on comparing the two also welcome. Also I'm a bit confused, as I was under the impression that these boats were trawlers, yet when I watch videos the Ranger 27 seems to get up on plane. Can someone set me straight on this?

Thanks,

Gary Currently Catalina C400 sailboat "Cygnus"
cygnussailor

City: Alto
State/Province: MI
Non-Ranger Model: Catalina C400 40' sailboat
Vessel Name: Cygnus
MMSI Number: 367491280

Re: Confused!!!

Postby BB marine on Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:57 pm

Reed Yacht Sales was a Cutwater dealer is a Ranger dealer. Brent Reed owner knowledgeable about both Ranger and Cutwater. Located in Grand Haven.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby BradOwens on Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:51 pm

The older Ranger Tugs had semi-displacement hulls, so could be considered trawlers. The new outboard models have planing hulls but maintain the trawler like interior design.
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby Cutwater28GG on Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:14 pm

very similar boats. biggest difference will be the aesthetic.
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby cygnussailor on Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:41 am

Also, opinions on using either of these two boats to do the Great Loop would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary Harkins
cygnussailor

City: Alto
State/Province: MI
Non-Ranger Model: Catalina C400 40' sailboat
Vessel Name: Cygnus
MMSI Number: 367491280

Postby Matty on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:37 am

Both dealer and boat show information is on their website.
Matty

City: New Smyrna Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: IN THE FALL (2018)

Postby BradOwens on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:34 am

Several Ranger Tugs have done the Great Loop. Perfect boat for it.
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby BB marine on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:49 am

The traditional (inboard) Ranger Tugs and Cutwaters are semi displacement hulls. They have the characteristics of a pocket trawler. The hull design has a longer LWL compared to similar sized brands. This longer LWL combined with a diesel engine gives the Ranger Tug and Cutwater the ability to cruise at trawler speeds with very good fuel economy. You mentioned you saw the Ranger Tug on plane. This word is used loosely with inboard Rangers and Cutwaters. They don't really plane. They lift up and move nicely through the water but this requires a lot of HP. The semi- displacement hull is used with many trawlers to give the best of both worlds. Great hull speed economy with the ability to have a faster cruise speed when that is desired. The Cutwater has the reputation of being the faster hull. It is faster but not much faster to the comparable size Ranger. I believe the only reason for additional speed is HP. The no longer made C26 has a 220hp Volvo, the comparable No longer made R27 with a 200hp Volvo is very close to the same speed The Cutwater may have 1 KT on it but also has 20Hp more power. The Newer version 29 ranger and 28 Cutwater are comparable in speed Cutwater being slightly faster but it is almost 2000 lbs lighter and 8' beam. The 29 has 300hp and the Cutwater 260hp. I don't consider any of these really planing hulls.

The inboard model Rangers and Cutwaters are closer to a trawler hull then they are to a planing hull. An example, I have a boat neighbor that as a 28 Sundancer twin 5.7L Mercruisers. We always plan to cruise together. It last about 10 minutes. I cruise at 12kts getting 1.8MPG. The Sundance tries to cruise at that speed but it is not fuel efficient because it is pushing so much water and not on a plane. Economy under 1 MPG and if we go slower the Searay doesn't get much better but the C26 does. The Sundancer then increases rpm and breaks plane cruising at 26 Kts and is averaging the same fuel economy as the C26 at 12 kts. The 28 Searay can cruise at 35 KTS and maintain 1.5 mpg but can't cruise at 8Kts and get better fuel economy . The Ranger or Cutwater can Cruise between 7 KTS and 8 KTS and maintain better the 3mpg.

The outboard Rangers and Cutwaters Are planing hulls and will have similar running characteristics to the Searay. Probably better because they are outboards. The weight to HP is much better with an outboard then a Sterndrive powered boat hence better fuel economy.

If you are looking for a smaller trawler that can give good hull speed fuel economy and be able to cruise at a realist 15 kts the traditional (inboard) Ranger and Cutwaters would be a good consideration.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby Cutwater28GG on Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:07 pm

to add to what Brian says, think of the cutwater and rangers as sailboats when running at displacement speeds.
- they use around 1 gallon an hour at 6-8 knots
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Return to Chat