Packing size for 21EC Stuffing Box

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Packing size for 21EC Stuffing Box

Postby Fisho on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:48 pm

I have a 2012 21EC and am doing the groundwork in case I need to replace the packing in the stuffing box. I am currently looking at adjusting the drip rate which seems too much, but it appears the stuffing box has never been checked since new and loosening the lock nut is a challenge as many 21EC owners have found but all good. Many posts on Tugnuts going back 10 years say that ¼ inch packing is required for the 1 inch propeller shaft. Also previous posts say the RT advice is to check with Marine Hardware for the correct size of packing since this is where RT source all these parts. Marine Hardware produce a traditional stuffing box for a 1 inch shaft but it takes ¼ inch packing confirming previous advice. Another post recommends measuring the gap in the stuffing box to be sure - makes sense but difficult. Obviously important to have the right size packing before removing old packing. However a recent post states that RT has advised that the size of the packing for 21EC is 3/16 inch? Grateful if other 21EC owners who have explored this can throw some light on whether ¼ inch or 3/16 inch. As background there is a great deal of very useful information and good advice on Tugnuts about adjusting the stuffing box, replacing the packing, type of packing, when to change (if ever), drip rates etc that I am across. Thanks everyone.
Fisho

City: Wonboyn Lake
State/Province: Other
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: KHUNYAI

Re: Packing size for 21EC Stuffing Box

Postby bob daily on Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:24 pm

Since you are unsure of the proper size packing, and I'm not sure either! Why not purchase both sizes the cost is minimal and then when you pull the old packing out you can replace with same as old one!
Your talking about $20 in packing material, not bad for piece of mind and getting you back on the water. Just my thoughts good luck. Bob
bob daily

City: Kennewick
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: Scuttlebutt

Postby Fisho on Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:25 am

Good advice. Agree thanks
Fisho

Postby Fisho on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:19 am

Unscrewed locking nut and measured packing in brass stuffing box. ¼ inch. All good.
Fisho

Return to Chat