After waiting 4 months I now have my USCG COD

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

After waiting 4 months I now have my USCG COD

Postby baz on Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:21 am

Subject: After waiting 4 months I now have my USCG COD

After applying for my USCG Certificate of Documentation Feb 26, 2019 I received the COD a few days ago. This then took an elapsed time of 4 months! My marina will now allow me to have an official auto parking pass for its restricted parking areas. :D :o
Last edited by baz on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB NW Edition - IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Re: After waiting 4 months I now have my USCG COD

Postby ixlr8 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:28 pm

baz wrote:Subject: After waiting 4 months I now have my USCG COD

After applying for my USCG Certificate of Documentation Feb 26 I received the COD a few days ago. This then took an elapsed time of 4 months! My marina will now allow me to have an official auto parking pass for its restricted parking areas. :D :o

Congratulations!
Your lucky, I applied for mine April 3, 2018, and I am still waiting for mine!! My dealer filled out a form incorrectly and now I am in a government loop limbo. I finally got past the front line gate keepers and I was led to believe I would have it by the end of the month. I am NOT holding my breath.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby tugnnaweigh on Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:01 pm

he USCG website says:

The NVDC is working cases as per the Case Processing Report, below. Status updates will continue to be posted weekly.
Then when you go to the report it says:

RECREATIONAL INITIAL - 01APR19
RECREATIONAL (EXCHANGE, RETURN TO DOC, REINSTATEMENT, REPLACEMENT) - 01APR19

Am I correct to take this as they are currently working on cases received 01APR19?

Because they received my application, that is cashed my check on 25SEP18!

I think I’ll call ‘em, that’ll straighten everything out.
tugnnaweigh

City: San Luis Obispo
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Slippn Inn

Postby baz on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:32 pm

ixlr8 wrote:
baz wrote:Subject: After waiting 4 months I now have my USCG COD

After applying for my USCG Certificate of Documentation Feb 26 I received the COD a few days ago. This then took an elapsed time of 4 months! My marina will now allow me to have an official auto parking pass for its restricted parking areas. :D :o

Congratulations!
Your lucky, I applied for mine April 3, 2018, and I am still waiting for mine!! My dealer filled out a form incorrectly and now I am in a government loop limbo. I finally got past the front line gate keepers and I was led to believe I would have it by the end of the month. I am NOT holding my breath.

Jim: That is a rather log period to be waiting. That's over a year and IMO totally unacceptable. I would definitely call them to get an update on your application progress.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby ixlr8 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:59 pm

baz wrote:
Jim: That is a rather log period to be waiting. That's over a year and IMO totally unacceptable. I would definitely call them to get an update on your application progress.

Barry,
I have sent them the documents they requested, I have emailed them, I have called them several times. When I call I get told to put a note on the documents I send in saying to have my file reviewed by a supervisor. BUT I can't talk to a supervisor and it is 3-4 months before my case is reviewed and rejected for the same thing again and again and again. Even though they have all the documents they have asked for. Last week I got hold of a front line person who reviewed my documents as I spoke to them. They said they saw no reason my application shouldn't be accepted and they would personally give it to a supervisor for review. They said I should have a response in 24-48 working hours. I can only hope. I can't register my boat with my town until I get the USCG DOC, so I have been using the boat for the last year without it being documented or registered!! :shock:
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby sjreib on Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:05 pm

Barry,

Applied for CG certification for my C30CB in September; arrived May. Now Kelby at the Edmonds Marina is happy and I've got my parking pass

Island Time
sjreib

Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-30 CB
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 30CB
Vessel Name: Island Time

Postby baz on Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:11 pm

Yes.... having to go to the office every month to have my temporary parking pass extended for a month was very tiring. But then the two of them were free. :lol: I'm sure Kelby will be having his hand outstretched now when I meet him. :o ;)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Boatagain on Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:04 pm

Silly question: What in the world does CG documentation have to do with marina parking? Just askin’
Michael, Judy, Porsche, Paige and Harry the Tug Dawg
Boatagain

City: Gaithersburg
State/Province: MD
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 30
Vessel Name: Gatsby

Postby baz on Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:43 pm

My marina will not hand out its permitted parking area decals unless all documentation for a boat is on file. In my case, the COD is part of my boat's documentation along with Insurance proof with required coverages and state registration paper work.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Hydraulicjump on Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:03 am

Barry,

You have my deepest empathy. In January (during the shutdown) I sent in my renewal (not original documentation) online. They accepted my money and then sent nothing to me. I contacted the folks who handled the online renewal in April and they said it had been renewed, but that I would have to contact the USCG directly to correct the problem.

And then two weeks of misery began. You are sent into phone tree hell when you call them. Reaching an individual can be very frustrating. So I resorted to good old fashioned bombing of everyone there I could find on the internet. Email and phone messages. Eventually they relented and no less than three individuals contacted me. I broke the logjam by persistence. Four months after the renewal, I got my official documentation.

The USCG is considering two year licenses now. I will sign up for that one for sure. Probably early, given recent unpleasantness. Too bad, this was a very efficient system in the past.

Jeff
Hydraulicjump

City: Davis
Non-Ranger Model: Necky Looksha VII, Liquidlogic Remix, Jackson 4Fun
Vessel Name: La Barka (2015)

Postby TexasEye on Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:19 am

Only had one boat ever documented, I did it myself and had absolutely no problem. I think it took 60 days.

After talking to the USCG Doc Centre about another issue I was told the long delays are because of continuity of ownership issues. Many STATES do not have Titles on Boats, a simple notarized Bill of Sale is all that is required. Before the USCG can Document a Vessel they must verify the chain of ownership to the new owner. If the vessel was never documented or the chain is broken it can take a lot of time to comply with the USCG Documentation Regs. If there are any red flags it takes longer. In my case, my Vessel had been Documented since birth and I purchased her from that original owner.

The Legal Weight of USCG Documentation appears to be an asset when dealing with financial institutions.
TexasEye

City: Athens
State/Province: AL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Non-Ranger Model: C-Dory Angler 22
Vessel Name: Tug Time, Athens, Alabama

Postby tugnnaweigh on Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:31 am

Well, I did call and it actually went pretty well! The phone tree recording lady is pretty breathy so that was worthwhile, the hold recording says “after 20 minutes on hold you’ll be allowed to leave a message” which is off putting but a live person came on after a few minutes.

The live person searched for it by boat name which seemed unbelievable, then my hull number which made sense but no joy so I got transferred which is never a good sign.

But the transfer person did find my application and they had sent me an email some months back requesting more information but it came from an address like VDS productions so likely I had quickly deleted it so they resent it while we were chatting.

My issues are the registration generated by CA does not have the word California on it and they insist I use their form to calculate my “gross tonnage” so I’m working on those issues.

Although we had built some trust I decided to verify the email address on the email I’d just recieved was the correct one to reply to and was told No, you have to send everything to this other email address and “I’d also mail in hard copies.”

So if you’re in the documentation process and get an email from VDS productions live large and take a peek or if you want to hear recorded phone tree instructions from a lady that sounds like Marlyn Monroe give ‘em a call!
tugnnaweigh

City: San Luis Obispo
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Slippn Inn

Postby Matty on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:33 pm

Not sure if it is different among states but in FL you still need a state sticker and registration even when obtaining USCG number. With USCG number i am not required to have State number afixed to the boat. I applied for USCG registration and rec'd letter within 30 days to serve as temporary. Rec'd permanent papers 3 months later. I registered with State on date of purchase. What i could have done is temporarily afixed state numbers whlie waiting for USCG final papers. Once final rec'd i believe you must remove state numbers (but still pay annual fees). Receiving temporary letter was comforting in case i was boarded.
Matty

City: New Smyrna Beach
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: IN THE FALL (2018)

Return to Chat