Getting Kayak on Roof

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Getting Kayak on Roof

Postby AGLCut26 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:56 am

Hi all, my wife and I recently bought a new-to-us Cutwater C-26. We have a sit on top double kayak that we would like to store on the roof rails. The idea is to leave the swim step clear for fishing, crabbing, etc. It’s too heavy for my wife to lift over her head. Any tips for getting it on and off the roof? Are there any pulley or winch systems you would recommend for this purpose? Thank you.
AGLCut26

City: Shoreline
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-26
Vessel Name: Aurora

Re: Getting Kayak on Roof

Postby Crewdog on Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:51 am

This is why we went with a Sea Eagle SE 370 Inflatable Kayak.

It only weighs 32 pounds.

Not fast, but light enough for one person to handle.
Bill and Nicole Parks
Blue Merle
2012 R-27
Woodstock, GA
Crewdog

City: Woodstock
State/Province: GA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Blue Merle
MMSI Number: 367556050

Postby NorthernFocus on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:36 pm

Inflatable kayak and keep things simple. There are some inflatables that paddle as well or better than a sit on top. We have an Advanced Elements Convertible with deck and rigid floor. Paddles great and is light enough for me to haul up onto an R25 classic by myself. I'm 5'10", 185, and over 60. We also have a heavier Saturn 13 ft whitewater boat that I can muscle up there as well though a bit more of a struggle.
Dan

Never confuse confidence for competence.
NorthernFocus

City: Anchorage
State/Province: AK
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Divine Focus

Postby ShortCut on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:23 pm

I agree with the others that good quality inflatable kayaks are a good way to go. We have been using two Advanced Elements "Advanced Frame" kayaks for about 15 years and their performance is excellent. Their current price on Amazon is $499 each. They weigh 36 pounds and their downside is that cleaning and drying after a saltwater trip is time-consuming.

This year I bought two Advanced Element "FireFly" inflatable kayaks on Amazon for $200 each. The Amazon price is a moving target, with the current price being $229. They weigh only 16 pounds each and they are much easier to clean and dry. Their performance is not quite as good as the heavier ones, but it is very acceptable. I am 6-feet tall and 200 pounds, and I fit comfortably inside the kayak with my shoes off. With shoes on, I am more comfortable with my knees raised because the bow is very narrow inside.

Our 21-foot two-person kayak is out of the question for boat trips. It has far superior performance, but its 85 pounds of fiberglass makes it hopeless to load onto the boat.

Marshall
ShortCut

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-242 C
Vessel Name: ShortCut

Postby pleeson on Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:05 am

I think the fiberglass double will be a challenge. We load 15 ft singles thru the bow walk and carry them across the bow deck and along the rail with one hand for the kayak and one for balance. That way only one person has to leave the bow deck. Might be easier if the front rail on the roof rack had a roller mounted and only the rear cross rail had the actual upright and cradle for holding the kayak. We just have typical fold down cradles on both cross bars that hold the kayaks on edge underway to give our solar panel access to sun.
pleeson

City: Heriot Bay
State/Province: BC
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28 Owner
Vessel Name: Bairn

Postby Boatagain on Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:42 pm

Sorry if this s a slight highjack...

We’re considering an inflatable dinghy, specifically https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mar ... ecordNum=2

They’re on sale this weekend. If anyone has experience with this one or some other inflatable dinghy, I’d love to hear your experiences and/or opinions.

Thanks!
Michael, Judy, Porsche, Paige and Harry the Tug Dawg
Boatagain

City: Gaithersburg
State/Province: MD
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 30
Vessel Name: Gatsby

Postby scross on Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:10 pm

Michael,
Had one of West Marine roll-up inflatables - just like the one you referenced. It was included with our RT-25 Classic when we bought it. Hated how that dinghy rode in the water with the wiggly slat floor. Was really afraid of beaching it on anything other than a sandy beach. Sold it cheap!
Now have RIB which I'm not afraid to beach on rocky landings. Handles much better while underway. If I want my view back when stopped, I just release the two standoff rods and let the RIB sit in the water attached to the davits. That won't work in a really tight marina but it does work in most spots.
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Non-Ranger Model: 1987 Addictor 190
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Postby Scuba Too on Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:51 pm

I have the Zodiac Cadet Fastroller. It has a high pressure floor so doesn't have the same wriggly slats issue. I have the Cadet RIB as well but that sits in the garage. I like being able to lug the dingy home when I'm not using it and that's not possible with the RIB unless I get a trailer. Note that the high pressure floor is easier to stand on then the RIB since its flat.

https://www.zodiac-nautic.com/en-us/sho ... astroller/
Scuba Too

City: Trabuco Canyon
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Blue Honu
MMSI Number: 367783950

Postby Red Fury on Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:13 pm

We use a St. Croix Little Crane to lift and lower our Malibu Two Ocean Kayak between the water and roof rack. Rated at 135 pounds and swivels. Has a 7:1 lift. Pictures in my album.
Bryan Nix
2017 R27 Classic "Bonny Lass"
Red Fury

City: Fredericksburg
State/Province: VA
Vessel Name: Bonny Lass
MMSI Number: 338244197

Postby shrh676 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:16 pm

Like Crewdog we bought the Sea Eagle 370. Found that it can be carried in the cockpit of our R-27 ob fully inflated. It lies on its side with the nose up against the rear of the cabin with the back end sticking out the gate. No problem stepping over it if needed. Haven't figured out a good way to secure it to the roof yet, but we are working on it.
shrh676

City: Venice
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: Callisto

Postby baz on Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:56 pm

shrh676 wrote:Like Crewdog we bought the Sea Eagle 370. Found that it can be carried in the cockpit of our R-27 ob fully inflated. It lies on its side with the nose up against the rear of the cabin with the back end sticking out the gate. No problem stepping over it if needed. Haven't figured out a good way to secure it to the roof yet, but we are working on it.

Yes, many people have discussed this methods for the R23 and R27/OB. If you can live with this way it's a better choice than placing on the cabin roof IMO.

I now have the R29 CB and I keep my SeaEagle FasTrack 375 deflated in its bag on the starboard side of the forecastle secured to the bow railings. I have the battery pack for easy inflation which can be done on the bow and when inflated can be heaved over the side and moved back to the swim step for boating etc.

I could easily store the bag on the swim step, in the cockpit or up on the Command Bridge between the seating.

I may also try inflating it and attaching it to outside of the Command Bridge port side railing with sturdy J hooks that can be rotated flat when not in use.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB NW Edition - IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Postby Martin610 on Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:54 am

I have the west marine roll up dingy. Works very well for me. For short trips I store it on the swim platform tied on with lines. I use a Suzuki 2.5 HP 4 stroke to push it. Holds three people.
Cutwater 28 - Venture
Martin610

City: Jackson
State/Province: NJ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Venture

Postby chronicity on Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:22 am

Boatagain wrote:Sorry if this s a slight highjack...

We’re considering an inflatable dinghy, specifically https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mar ... ecordNum=2

They’re on sale this weekend. If anyone has experience with this one or some other inflatable dinghy, I’d love to hear your experiences and/or opinions.

Thanks!

I got this https://www.marinesuperstore.com/tenders-accessories/tenders/3d-superlight-tender-twin-air (the 230)

I used it last week and it works really well. 30 lbs. I strapped it sideways on top of the R-27OB bimini (to keep the solar panels uncovered). I can get it up there without any help, although it's a lot easier with two people. It is also really easy to deflate and pack up. Came with a really nice carry bag, and the folded dinghy actually fits in it. Also came with a nice foot pump. I was really impressed with it. Quite stable and no problem for two people.

I also got a Suzuki 2.5 outboard for it, but now I'm questioning whether I will ever use it. It will make the dinghy move, but not plane, and I don't think I'd want to plane this dinghy anyway. It's pretty small and has no keel. But it rows really easily.
Dan and Debbie
chronicity

City: Spokane
Non-Ranger Model: Suzuki 300 OB
Vessel Name: Addison Skye
MMSI Number: 368047670

Postby SgtAlf on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:41 pm

I use this pump for my inflatable, makes quick work of inflating, and will deflate quickly and vacuums out all the air to fold up real nice.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QCTG9R5/re ... 2e78b4f007
Tony & Kathy
R-23 Sea Holli
Jackson, NJ
SgtAlf

City: JACKSON
State/Province: NJ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Non-Ranger Model: Sea Eagle SR14 W/15 Yamaha
Vessel Name: Sea Holli
MMSI Number: 338303803

Return to Chat