best dinghy for a 23" with outboard

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

best dinghy for a 23" with outboard

Postby csj2018 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:33 pm

Hello,

We have a 2018, 23 footer with an outboard and would like to know what type of dinghy works best with this boat. It needs to fit on top of the boat. Our boat came with a 14 foot Saturn, but that is difficult to load and unload at best. What have you all found that works best? We would use it most to get to shore from an anchorage or buoy.
Thank you.

John
csj2018

City: Friday Harbor
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Moon Shadow

Re: best dinghy for a 23" with outboard

Postby SgtAlf on Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:09 am

I use this, https://www.boatstogo.com/kayaks-sk396.asp
I had it on the roof, but found it hard to retrieve and reload, but doable. I now keep it deflated in the center cockpit storage. No can do if you have the factory generator. Takes 10 minutes to inflate with an electric pump. I straddle the cockpit rails, and just shove it off when inflated, reverse to deflate. I run a 2.7 Cruise m Carry OB 12 lbs. Check my album for the mount on the rail for the OB.
Tony & Kathy
R-23 Sea Holli
Jackson, NJ
SgtAlf

City: JACKSON
State/Province: NJ
Non-Ranger Model: Sea Eagle SR14 W/15 Yamaha
Vessel Name: Sea Holli
MMSI Number: 338303803

Re: best dinghy for a 23" with outboard

Postby olygirl on Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:03 am

We use a Zodiac Cadet Aero 230. Fits great up top and only weighs 53 pounds. Also fits great on the swim platform when the big engine is down. We carry it on the swim platform when loading from a mooring buoy then put it up top when we get back to a dock. It doesn't affect the performance of the boat at all.
olygirl

City: Bellingham
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: Cool Mint

Return to Chat