Hit some logs and possible damage to prop and/or rudder

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Hit some logs and possible damage to prop and/or rudder

Postby baz on Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:38 pm

Subject: Hit some logs and possible damage to prop and/or rudder

Today when out I accidentally ran over one or two fairly large logs. At first blush apart from the
bumping noises all seemed to be OK.

However, I now notice a slight vibration at the wheel and in the boat's structure at all speeds that was absent
before running over the logs.

I did drive some 7 miles back to home port at 12 kts without any issues.

My guess is that maybe a prop blade or the rudder took a hit.

I quickly checked the bilges and boat was not taking on any water.

What advice do you have for me to figure out what damage may have occurred.

Can an underwater inspection be done to get a better idea of what may have been damaged ?

If the prop or rudder had some damage will it be best to lifted the boat out to make a fuller inspection ?

If prop has to be replaced can this be done with the boat in the water ?

Can a prop blade be straighten or will a new prop be required ?

How much does a new prop for the R29 CB NW Edition cost ?

Bummer…. I’m told you’re not a boater until you’ve driven over a log…..

Thanks for any advice…..
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB NW Edition - IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Re: Hit some logs and possible damage to prop and/or rudder

Postby Salty7 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:22 am

Any good boat yard can deal with this for you. If it were my boat I would have it hauled and inspected. You quite likely bent the prop somewhat. Until it is inspected there is no way of knowing if the prop is damaged or if it can be repaired. The prop is small enough that it can be removed and installed in the water, by the time you pay for that the yard could have hauled it and given you a much more thorough inspection.
Salty7

City: La Conner
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: KIKI (2012) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby marcham on Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:11 am

As well, the shaft might not be true anymore, after the boat being driven with a potentially out of balance prop. Get it hauled out and properly looked after. Props can be rebalanced if slightly out of balance.

Do you have insurance? You may want to file a claim.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
marcham

City: Merville
State/Province: BC

Postby BB marine on Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:57 am

baz wrote:Can an underwater inspection be done to get a better idea of what may have been damaged ?

A underwater inspection could be done to confirm you did hit the prop and damaged it. Depending on the damage found that would determine lift the boat for further inspection or not.

baz wrote:If the prop or rudder had some damage will it be best to lifted the boat out to make a fuller inspection ?

If it was my boat and found damage to the rudder ( bent post) or a prop blade bent or damaged severely I would want a complete inspection of prop, rudder, and prop shaft (runout check).

baz wrote:If prop has to be replaced can this be done with the boat in the water ?

Yes this can be done I'm the water by a diver equipped to do prop removal. The fact that your boat is new the prop should "pop" off the taper easily. If this is done a compete in the water alignment should be performed. Actually what ever route you choose I would do an engine alignment.

baz wrote:Can a prop blade be straighten or will a new prop be required ?

A prop can normally be straightened and trued along with balancing. In many cases the prop after being repaired is better than original. A good prop shop will custom build you prop. Tuning it to a very close tolerance. If you give the prop shop your engine information, your loaded boat max RPM, the shop can tune the prop to give you best performance. On small high speed Diesels (over 50 hp per liter) I always shoot for 100 rpm over Max to assure that the engine is never over loaded at any rpm.

baz wrote:How much does a new prop for the R29 CB NW Edition cost ?

The prop used on my C26 is an Acme prop. You can go to the Acme website and enter your specs to get a list price. My 17"X17" 3 blade list for 1495.00
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby baz on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:16 am

marcham wrote:As well, the shaft might not be true anymore, after the boat being driven with a potentially out of balance prop. Get it hauled out and properly looked after. Props can be rebalanced if slightly out of balance.

Do you have insurance? You may want to file a claim.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

So, I've never made a claim on any of my boats before. This would be a first. I'm assuming if Ins Co. takes on my claim I'm subject to a deductible.

Is it best to submit a claim before any boat inspection for damage ?

Is a boat claim similar to auto insurance where a 'claim professional' is assigned to the claim ?

What advice from others is there on how to proceed with my Insurance Co. to ensure an orderly and proper process takes place ?

I keep my boat at the Port of Edmonds, WA marina that has a good boat yard, and will now search for a boat yard, company etc that can make any repairs necessary. For boaters in my area are there any boat yards, companies, etc that would be recommended ? I will be checking with my local yard that is adjacent to my marina ASAP.

Thank you.... :)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Matty on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:28 am

Yes it is very similar to an auto claim. Find a boatyard that does that type of repair and I am sure they have dealt with insurance claims before. For the only one I ever submitted that sent a person out (surveyor) to verify the damage and repair plan. Once agreed to they sent a check and want to see invoice that it was fixed. I would see how much it is going to be and compare to deductible before submitting a claim. These claims have a way of hanging around in your file.
Matty

City: New Smyrna Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: IN THE FALL (2018)

Postby Haifisch on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:44 am

The recent policy that I bought with Chubb includes coverage for inspection haul outs after grounding or striking an object at a zero dollar deductible. You should call your agent.
Haifisch

City: Bainbridge Island
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Vessel Name: Pilar

Postby The Doghouse 2 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:33 am

Sorry to hear of your mishap. The Prop Shop in Mukilteo is considered the best place in our area to take your prop.
The Doghouse 2

City: Lake Stevens
Non-Ranger Model: 2019 Hunter Green R27-OB w/ Suzuki 300
Vessel Name: The Doghouse 2
MMSI Number: 368050260

Postby baz on Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:03 am

The Doghouse 2 wrote:Sorry to hear of your mishap. The Prop Shop in Mukilteo is considered the best place in our area to take your prop.

Thanks.... Mukilteo is a short distance north of me so that's good to know.... Thanks. :)

Will goto to boat shortly to hopefully find it's still floating. Will check as much as I can looking into engine area for potential issues. Suspect I'll have to wait to Monday to get any inputs from boat yard etc. I'm tempted to have boat lifted ASAP for a quick inspection of the hull, prop and rudder. If trim tabs bent that's not any real issue I suppose.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby ixlr8 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:28 pm

Dang, sorry to hear this. I hope it is an easy/cheap fix and you will be back on the water soon. I know you love this boat over the 27OB, but it is starting to look like it is spending more time in repair than underway. Good luck.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby baz on Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:07 pm

ixlr8 wrote:Dang, sorry to hear this. I hope it is an easy/cheap fix and you will be back on the water soon. I know you love this boat over the 27OB, but it is starting to look like it is spending more time in repair than underway. Good luck.

Between you and me I think the 'damage' is going to be minimal. Today I checked everything I could; rudder attachments to transom, stern thruster attachments, no water build up in aft bilge, prop shaft stuffing box drips at around 40 drips per minute, trim tabs intact, no hull damage above water line and what I could just see below this line, engine runs up normally when in Throttle-mode only, boat still afloat.... :lol:

I've scheduled a haul out on Wed at 10 AM and my local yard owner who deals with props etc will be on hand to make a visual inspection for me. If necessary prop, if damaged in any way, will be removed and sent off for tuning/fixing or whatever and will use the haul out to give the hull a light pressure wash as it does have some slime on it.

I do have to go out to retrieve my crab pots on Monday and will just gently cruise up to them and back.

I'm expecting to see some prop damage as there was a very slight vibration felt at the wheel after the log collision that was not evident prior to the collision. This tells me that the prop is out of whack some. The keel protects the running gear somewhat but if the log was length-wise as I drove over it it could hit the prop's outer edges.

I hate to think what damage the R41 would be exposed to with its unprotected forward facing dual props. :o
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby baz on Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:49 pm

I'm trying to recall what the stuffing box drip rate should be.... I timed it today at around 40 drips per minute. Is this acceptable ?
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby ixlr8 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:53 pm

baz wrote:
I hate to think what damage the R41 would be exposed to with its unprotected forward facing dual props. :o

You don't want to know. Depending on extent of damage it could be as little as $3K or up to $100K for a new pod, at least those were the numbers I heard for the Saber I worked on.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby BB marine on Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:58 pm

3 drips per minute is good. 40 drips per minute needs to be tightened. Probably not much. If it has never been tightened probably no more than 1/16th or 1/8th of a turn. That would be a good start.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby baz on Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:02 pm

BB marine wrote:3 drips per minute is good. 40 drips per minute needs to be tightened. Probably not much. If it has never been tightened probably no more than 1/16th or 1/8th of a turn. That would be a good start.

Thank you.... I just researched this and read that no drips should be evident while the shaft is stationary but when rotating 3 drips per min is about right.

My stuffing box is dripping at around 40 drips per minute while shaft is not in motion!

I guess it will need tightening..... boat is only 3 months old from factory.

I did not check the drip rate prior to the log collision so I'm wondering if the collision has contributed to the excessive drip rate ?
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz