Drummond Island Michigan

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Drummond Island Michigan

Postby Jeff58 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:10 am

Anyone have experience cruising Drummond island?
Looking for marina recommendations and any insight on navigation issues.
Is the access from the St. Mary's river well marked, any hazards etc.
Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff58

City: North Kingsville
State/Province: OH
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Chiasso

Re: Drummond Island Michigan

Postby TABublitz on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:05 pm

Drummond is a beautiful place to cruise around. The access from the river side is well marked, but spaced out a little more that you will expect. We did not find any issues with the navigation and there is were markings to help you work through the area. There are many smaller islands surrounding Drummond and many of these can be navigated with ease. The charts certainly help keep an eye on where you can cut through and where you should not. We spent a lot of time anchored out, but would look at Drummond Island Yacht Haven on the north side, and a smaller secluded marina on the south side called Fort Drummond Marina. If you are putting in at DeTour Michigan, there is also a nice municipal marina there with easy walk to downtown stores and restaurants if wanted. There are also some Canadian marinas just north on St. Joseph Island. Many areas to anchor out and enjoy the seclusion as well. Consider tying up to the wall on Lime Island (no power or water but easy and close to the freighters going by on the river. I would be happy to help more if you would like. Enjoy the trip, we had a great week up that way last year.

Tim
TABublitz

City: Grand Haven
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 210 XSF Scout
Vessel Name: Smidgen

Postby Jeff58 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:34 am

Thanks so much.
We are thinking about starting at DeTour ...looks like they have diesel as well....and then exploring the north side.
Jeff
Jeff58

City: North Kingsville
State/Province: OH
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Chiasso

Postby Favunclerich on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:04 am

I would echo the previous comments to the effect that navigation is not too difficult, but you do need to pay attention.

If you launch at Detour Village, there is a boat ramp at the south end of the harbor. Overnight parking is not permitted, but immediately to the west is a grassy lot where you can park your truck and trailer for $5/day. You just put your money in an envelope and then drop it into a slot. There is no security, but I've parked there a couple of times with no incidents.
Last edited by Favunclerich on Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Favunclerich

City: Harrison Twp
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Roam (2008 #42)

Postby TABublitz on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:04 pm

Go for it! Detour has a nice launch, with a nice marina. The feedback on the parking is a good one, that I had forgotten. The parking is on a private grass lot with no issues in the past. Diesel is available at Detour. We had a great time “bumming around” the area. Lime island was great for us. We went to Raber Inn for dinner (public dock available and walk up to the restaurant) directly west of Lime Island. We went up to the Soo for a night and then back around the Canadian side. We went to Whisky Rock (fun and beautiful and anchored out), then wandered down the side of St. Joseph Island. Anchored out around the Fossil Rock area on the north side of Drummond. We then wandered east and around the east end and anchored out in some of the bays on the south side. GREAT week! Enjoy!

Tim
TABublitz

City: Grand Haven
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 210 XSF Scout
Vessel Name: Smidgen

Postby BB marine on Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:29 am

Favunclerich wrote:I would echo the previous comments to the effect that navigation is not too difficult, but you do need to pay attention.

If you launch at Detour Village, there is a boat ramp at the south end of the harbor. Overnight parking is not permitted, but immediately to the west is a grassy lot where you can park your truck and trailer for $5/day. You just put your money in an envelope and then drop it into a slot. There is no security, but I've parked there a couple of times with no incidents.

Is this parking area a place that the truck and trailer can be left for a few weeks?
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby snydzy on Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:24 pm

Is this parking area a place that the truck and trailer can be left for a few weeks?

I was just there earlier this month....I asked the same question. Harbor master suggested a few locals that would allow trailer parking and then parking the truck at the marina parking lot. Would be less “problematic”..... Give them a call.
snydzy

City: Leesburg
State/Province: IN
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Tugster

Postby BB marine on Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:26 am

snydzy wrote:

I was just there earlier this month....I asked the same question. Harbor master suggested a few locals that would allow trailer parking and then parking the truck at the marina parking lot. Would be less “problematic”..... Give them a call.

Will do thank you for the tip.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Return to Chat