Sway control Hitch

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Sway control Hitch

Postby Waterhorse on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:19 pm

My husband and I are looking to get a R31 CB with a trailer. We are very experienced hauling large fifth wheel horse trailers in excess of 40 feet, fully loaded. Just wondering if any of you use sway bars on your bumper pull? Necessary or not? Thanks!
Waterhorse

City: Medford
State/Province: OR

Re: Sway control Hitch

Postby bob daily on Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:24 pm

Am not familiar with towing a 31 tug but the biggest problem that people have with towing is weight distribution! That large cockpit area on any boat looks great for bringing everything including the kitchen sink, it all adds up to too much weight aft and not enough fwd on the tow vehicle.
Good luck and nice boat! Bob
bob daily

City: Kennewick
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Scuttlebutt

Postby BB marine on Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:38 pm

Waterhorse wrote:My husband and I are looking to get a R31 CB with a trailer. We are very experienced hauling large fifth wheel horse trailers in excess of 40 feet, fully loaded. Just wondering if any of you use sway bars on your bumper pull? Necessary or not? Thanks!

From your description it sounds like you have a big tow vehicle so sway/distribution bars are not really needed. I have a smaller boat then you are planning on towing. Cutwater 26 equipped with gear and tri-axel trailer weighs approximately 10500 to 11000 lbs and tow with a HD2500. I do use the bars. The truck is rated to tow 14500 without bars but I choose to use them. I feel it gives a slightly better ride distributing some of the weight on the steering axel, and reduces some sway when it is windy of when getting passed by 18 wheelers. There have been similar topics posted and I believe the majority do not use the bars.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby Waterhorse on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:03 pm

Thank you for your reply BB Marine! We have a newer model Ford F-350 SWD 4x4. Have always preferred fifth wheels, but it’s not like you are going to haul it somewhere for the day, so shouldn't be a big deal. We haul horses all over the country and usually pull in excess of 15k with our living quarter trailer and four horses with out a problem. Anyhow, we were just wondering what other boaters experiences have been.
Waterhorse

City: Medford
State/Province: OR

Return to Chat