Weaver davits with swim platform rails

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Weaver davits with swim platform rails

Postby Boatagain on Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:59 pm

I’ve searched the forum but can’t seem to find a post addressing this particular situation. Will the Weaver Snap-davits work if there’s a swim platform rail present? The entire dinghy would be outside of (abaft) the rails and couldn’t be tipped forward...or, do I have to remove the rails? Pros and cons? Other ideas?

Thanks!
Michael, Judy, Porsche, Paige and Harry the Tug Dawg
Boatagain

City: Gaithersburg
State/Province: MD
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 30
Vessel Name: Gatsby

Re: Weaver davits with swim platform rails

Postby captstu on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:42 pm

They should fit fine. On y R-25 (now sold), the dinghy sits vertical - with two Weaver rods holding it in place. With the rails, the dinghy should lean against the rails and hold tight with some lashing.
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV SOLD
captstu

City: Delray Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV (SOLD)

Postby BB marine on Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:53 pm

There are many Tugs and Cuts that have the rail and use weaver davits. The only disadvantage is the RIB rides perpendicular to the swim platform reducing aft visibility. Depending on how wide the dingy is will determine how high it rides. What ever the beam is add 4" because of the 4" offset snap davits mounted to the swim platform. I have a 270 Gala that has a 5' 7" beam. When the dingy is set straight up it is 6' from platform to the highest point reducing the aft visibility. I mounted the dingy this way for two years. This year with no rails installed, I installed two additional stand-off brackets that allow for lower mounting while cruising. This drops the dingy down 1.5' to 4.5' which made a big difference for aft visibility. When we anchor or dock I use the original stand-off brackets to have full access of the swim platform.

Original installed
second set of brackets

If you have the rails keep them and try it.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby Boatagain on Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:23 am

Thanks Stuart and Brian!

Weaver sells several iterations of the davits. There’s one that raises up 4”, another that both raises and extends out and yet one more that simply extends out. There's even one that lowers the attachment down 6”. Which would be best? I’m not too concerned (well, maybe a little) with blocking the view as i’ve recently installed a rear-view camera.
Boatagain

Postby BB marine on Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:55 am

4" up and 4" out is what I used and that is what I was told Fluid Motion uses on both Ranger and Cutwater. When I purchased all my Weaver accessories I purchased them directly through Weaver. This was a mistake. All the accessories can be purchased from defender at a discounted price. I needed everything glue, pads, brackets, davits, and stand-offs. The difference in price between Weaver direct and Weaver products from defender was a $250.00 savings from defender. I found this out the same day I purchased the parts from Weaver because Weaver didn't have glue in-stock and told me to purchase it through Defender. When I went to defender on line store and saw the difference in price I called Weaver back. The owner of Weaver responded "I don't discount my products, your order is already processed so I can't refund you without a restocking fee". The product is good my experience with Weaver direct was bad.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

Postby Lenny and Louise on Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:08 am

We have a "Portland Pudgy" on Weaver davits on our R31S with rail in place. Weaver makes a davit specifically for Rnagers that has proper standoffs to clear the factory installed fenders at aft edge of swim platform. We have a handy billy snapped to a through bolted padeye at aft end of cabin roof. It is the same block and tackle we use for the rescue sling. We pull the dingy up against rail and secure it with typical cargo grips available at Ace or box stores. Works great.
Peace,
Lenny and Louise Anderson
R31S Then Again
Portland, OR

Lenny and Louise

City: Vancouver
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Vessel Name: Then Again

Postby Rednuke1 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:14 am

I just recently mounted my new RIB, (West Marine 276), on the swim-step of my Cutwater 28. I have the stern rail, and used all of the same Weaver components utilized by the Cutwater factory, IE: 4" up, 4" out davits. Everything works and fits fine. The Weaver offset rods keep the RIB just a little past vertical and close to the rail. I even have room for my fender storage brackets that are still mounted on the stern rail as well.
Rednuke1

City: Minot
State/Province: ND
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: A Summer Place

Postby Salmon Fisher on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:55 am

I just checked on Defender and they don't have the 4" up and 4" out davits for the swim step.
Darn, anyone have an idea where I can find it.
Salmon Fisher

City: Arlington
Non-Ranger Model: C Dory 25
Vessel Name: Kim Christine

Postby Cutwater28GG on Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:10 pm

i have rails and the weaver davits. no problem. The dinghy is held off the rails.

some photos (note these were taken before I mounted the stanchions but the position is the same.) the video shows it

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Auy2KJTFDgidjp5va9Jz7QeckD4J-w?e=WS2ceG
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby Boatagain on Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:43 pm

Thanks all for your very helpful replies. 4” up and 4” out it is! I might have to pay Weaver’s full price...unless someone finds another source.

Another question: What length standoffs do I need?
Boatagain

Postby BB marine on Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:06 pm

Boatagain wrote:Thanks all for your very helpful replies. 4” up and 4” out it is! I might have to pay Weaver’s full price...unless someone finds another source.

Another question: What length standoffs do I need?

I used 42/48 adjustable stand-offs. I would call Defender ask for a special order 4" out up davits. If they will not do that then purchase from Weaver and get the rest of the parts from Defender. It will be cheaper.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

Return to Chat