Custom Boat Cover

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Custom Boat Cover

Postby Barry Cohen on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:58 pm

I need recomendations for a custom boat cover. I had the contact info and web site for someone in Washington state but have misplaced it.

I hate shrink wrapping, but am biting the bullet this year.
Barry D Cohen
Lynn Yacht Club | Lynn, MA USA
617.794.4458 | MMSI:  338 167 576
barrydcohen@comcast.net
Barry Cohen

City: Lynn
State/Province: MA
Ranger Model: R-27 Tug
Vessel Name: YOLO (2011)
MMSI Number: 338167576

Re: Custom Boat Cover

Postby Andrew Custis on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:30 pm

Hello Barry,

Dave at King Marine canvas makes a very nice cover for the boat which we have three of them we use on a regular basis. The price should be reasonable since we paid for all of the patterning! You can find Dave at Kingmarinecanvas.com

Just let him know that you talked with me and you own a Ranger Tug and he will be sure to take care of you.
Andrew Custis
Ranger Factory Rep

City: Kent
State/Province: WA

Postby Barry Cohen on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks Andrew. I believe that is the name I had and lost.
Barry D Cohen
barrydcohen@comcast.net
Barry Cohen

Postby JerryE on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:55 am

Thought I'd chime in here. I bought (aftermarket) a complete SS frame, screen enclosure and separate plastic side panels from Dave at King Marine. He advised against my plan of side panels with both plastic and screen as rolling up the plastic would squeeze it between the outer screen and inner SS frame members. Only someone with lots of experience making these for the Ranger factory would know this. Since he had the patterns, the price was remarkably reasonable. The only problem was shipping the giant U-shaped frame which was treated as a big square unit and had to go by private ground carrier (its too big for UPS) for a cost of about $300! The canvas stuff came by UPS for cheap. Dave warned me of the $300 cost and felt so bad that he threw in, for free, a Phifertex front window cover which you can see through but blocks up to 80% of incoming sunlight. Handy in Florida. Also serves as a privacy screen if you keep the lights in the cabin low as folks can't see in.

Dave gave me his cell phone making it easy to check in on progress of the work, which took under a couple of weeks. He than asked me (or my installer) to call him for tips when attaching the SS frame. For anything canvas I'd suggest calling Dave before even thinking about a local canvas maker–his cost was about $1500 less then the local folks in depressed Mobile, AL could make it for and his time frame was much faster.

Dave Hauck is pleasant to talk to and a great problem solver. He even remembered to have me check if the tracks on the cabin roof on either side of the door were factory installed. On my boat they weren't, so he made them and threw them in the shipment for free. He even included the snaps to screw into the boat. For anything canvas on a Ranger give him a call (206) 271-2294. His advice, alone, is worth the call. Remember he's west coast though so allow for the time difference if you are east coast.
Jerry
We lost our corkscrew and had to live on food and water for several days – W.C. Fields
JerryE

City: Cotuit, Cape Cod
Ranger Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: (2009) Alto - Manuf: 03/09 #51
MMSI Number: 338070506

Postby Barry Cohen on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:19 am

Thanks Jerry:

I have since been in touch with Dave at King Marine Canvas and once the Admiral decides on a color, he is going to make us a cover that fully encloses the entire boat. No more shrink wrapping after this year.
Barry D Cohen
barrydcohen@comcast.net
Barry Cohen

Postby JerryE on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:20 am

Hey Barry, skip the cover and move the boat on down to the Florida Keys for the winter and join us. My professional hauler takes it back and forth from Cape Cod for $2000 each way. With what you save in layup costs (especially if you use a marina storage), the cover, insurance (see see my most recent post), and if you spend your winter vacation(s) on the boat instead of in hotels with all associated costs you might find yourself breaking even while having a winter retreat. Its a shame to use your boat only a few months a year in New England.
Jerry
We lost our corkscrew and had to live on food and water for several days – W.C. Fields
JerryE

City: Cotuit, Cape Cod
Ranger Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: (2009) Alto - Manuf: 03/09 #51
MMSI Number: 338070506

Return to Chat