Mase generators

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Mase generators

Postby Polaris on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:23 pm

If you have a Mase 2.7 generator in your Ranger 25 or 27 or a Mase 4 generator in your Nordic 26 please help us as we decide if we should put a Mase generator in our 32ft sailboat. We are interested to know the Mase's reliability, performance, and serviceability (access and ease). If parts were needed, how available were parts to your location?
Thanks for your input-
Gerald and Ann Levinson
S/V Polaris PSC32ph 002
Polaris

City: Melrose
State/Province: MA
Non-Ranger Model: Pacific Seacraft 32ph
Vessel Name: Polaris
MMSI Number: 338128641

Re: Mase generators

Postby LADYBUG TOO on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:09 pm

I have the Mase 4 on my R29 but I think the factory has switched to Onan. The Mase has a one cylinder Yanmar and a pretty good exhaust silencer but it is a "one lunger" so expect to hear it. The only issue I have experienced is that the seawater filter is rather small so it plugs easily with our Florida sea weed. I have burned up one impeller and I really should have caught that before it was damaged. The change out of the impeller was easy and you can buy the replacement at most West Marine stores. It is a small Johnson Pump. The oil change is easy. The impeller not so bad if you have a good 10mm box or open end wrench. It is not all that big or heavy so if I had to take it out it would not be a big deal. That being said, I don't think I could tinker with it much since I don't know jack about diesels. It runs two A/C units and the charger with no problem but you have to make some choices if you want to cook with the microwave/convection oven as it won't carry all three. You might ask Ranger why they changed to the Onans.

Pat, Ladybug, Too
LADYBUG TOO

City: Pensacola
State/Province: FL
Ranger Model: R-29 Tug
Vessel Name: LADYBUG, TOO

Postby GulfSailor on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:27 am

LADYBUG TOO wrote: ....... The only issue I have experienced is that the seawater filter is rather small so it plugs easily with our Florida sea weed.

Same experience here, but without the misfortune of having to replace the impeller.

The generator doesn't come with a raw water strainer AFAIK, that's something chosen by the installer or boat builder.
I've changed out both the tiny generator and a/c strainers for larger Groco ARG bronze units that are more suited to the duty cycle of a/c or generator operation.
The originals matched the washdown pump strainer pretty closely; which would be fine in clear ocean or lake waters but are totally unsuitable for the seagrass floating almost everywhere around Florida.

Can't speak for Mase customer service as we've yet to have a problem or need spares.
However, I did have to contact Mase in Italy for a link to download the service manual as Mase North America seemed pretty clueless about the 2.6/2.7 at the time, and their website hadn't been updated for a year or two.
I haven't checked it lately though, so things may have changed.

You'll always be able to hear it running, but how well you can hear it depends so much on the installation.
GulfSailor

City: Inglis
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater C28 / PDQ32 Catamaran

Postby Ken Boyd on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:04 pm

I have a Mase in my R-25 and I like it but the previously mentioned problem with the raw water strainer being too small is my experience also. The strainer can very easily get pluged with grass and cut off water flow to the unit and damage the raw water impeller. There are sensors in the case that will automatically cut the unit off if it overheats so the unit appears to be protected.

To me the Mase is a rather strange design in that the one cylinder Yanmar diesel that powers the unit is acutally air cooled. There is a raw water heat exhanger in the case that cools the air which in turn cools the engine and the generator. Conesquently, the cover needs to be on the case when the unit is operating for it to cool properly. My only complaint with the Mase is the oil dip stick is rather difficult to put back in when you take it out to check the oil level. The noise level is reasonable but you can get tired of listening to it run when you are at anchor using it to power the Air Conditioner. The fuel consumption is very low.
Ken Boyd

City: Washington
State/Province: NC
Ranger Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Kristi Marie

Postby Jerold Geisenheimer on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:36 pm

I am having an issue with my Mase 4KW generator as it now shuts off after a couple of minutes with an "E87 error code". Essentially saying there is insufficient voltage output. I will have it serviced once we return from Canada and let you all know the outcome/output. Luckily we can live without the generator as we spend most of anchorages at marinas. Married guys will understand.
Jerold Geisenheimer

City: Fort Myers
Vessel Name: Joint Venture

Postby AKDAVE on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:47 pm

I have the MASE 2.5 in my R25 and was getting a low voltage error code last year also. I knew I had good voltage to the unit. My diesel mechanic son found the problem. In the 2.5 there is a fuse block at the top left. One of wires which plugged into the fuse block was corroded. Made a temporary repair with a new connector and some wire. Generator fired right up and ran perfectly. We made a permenant repair with the correct wire guage and connectors when we returned home and have had no trouble since.
Dave
AKDAVE

City: Anchorage
State/Province: AK
Vessel Name: Rebecca Ann (2009)

Postby Nitebell on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:50 am

Hi folks
New member to Tugnuts and unfortunately I am Tugless. I however have a 2665 Regal Yanmar diesel powered cabin cruiser equipped with an 2.5 Mase diesel genset. I had the 2.5 mase installed because it was the only genset that would fit my boat at the time. I have had nothing but bad luck and obnoxious warranty handling with this product. Without getting into a boring gripe session, at 5 hours the gen shut down with an low oil pressure error. Mase sent a "mechanic " and tried to replace the oil sender twice with no luck, then he pulled the genset and shipped it to the US Florida Hqs of Mase and I didn't see it back for over one year when it cost me $1000 plus shipping and $$$ to have it reinstalled. Five hours use after the genset was reinstalled she shut down again with low oil error code. I opened the engine hatch to find oil everywhere. My dealings with Mase was over, I just couldn't take the stress. I found a local guy with Yanmar experience check it out, he found that the (five hour) rubber oil filler hose was dry rotted and split at the bottom and was able to replace it with a section of generic rubber hose. Now with 30 hour on the generator she is shutting down with a E-87 error Low voltage indicator. Thanks to AKDAVE I now have something to check out.

BTW, I learned later that Mase sent the entire generator to the Yanmar distributer in Tampa because the Yanmar motor was under warranty, the distributor found that the original low press shutdown was due to a clogged oil filter, why the "Mase service mechanic" didn't check that after replacing the sender twice is beyond me. Also, I found out that the Yanmar motor in the 2.5 Mase genset is Not rept Not a Marine motor, it's a commercial air cooled engine and Yanmar quit talking to me because it is being used in an marine environment. I have now over $10k invested in this ($3k) generator, hope AKDAVE's suggestion works for me, will advise. I said I didn't want to turn this into a gripe session, sorry. Paul
Nitebell

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Princessa

Postby bbrh842 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:17 am

I had so much trouble with the Mase 2.5 in my tug, that I had it removed and thrown in the dumpster.
I now use a Honda 2000I with a remote tank on the swim platform.
bbrh842

City: Clear Lake City
State/Province: TX
Vessel Name: (2007) Tug O' War

Postby GulfSailor on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:17 pm

Has anyone had similar issues with the later Mase 2.7 model?
GulfSailor

Postby Jake on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:13 pm

Doesn't anybody build something that works the way it should? You hear people complain about their autos, think how many complaints there would be if they all owned a boat or two. :(
Jake

City: Fort Wayne
State/Province: IN

Postby GulfSailor on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Jake wrote:Doesn't anybody build something that works the way it should? You hear people complain about their autos, think how many complaints there would be if they all owned a boat or two. :(

It's just the mindset of the age we live in, everything has to be manufactured as cheaply as possible.
Years ago most products were overbuilt in order to reduce the liklihood of failure and to ensure a long product life.
Nowadays manufacturers have to be lean and mean to maximize profit and increase bonuses for management.
Inventory and staff have to be reduced to the absolute minimum, and products have to be redesigned to remove as much content as possible, to the point where it doesn't quite explode as soon as you use it.

Ranger and their parent group are rareities these days, in that they provide a well designed product, and good customer service to take care of the inevitable issues that arise in a product that's so labor intensive.
GulfSailor

Postby SlackwaterJack on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:22 pm

I've never had a single problem with my R-21's : Airconditioner, thrusters, winches, refrigerator and/or wine cooler, radar, generator, turbocharger, engine managment module, water pressure, dvd/tv or reception, chart plotter, Wallas stove/heater, steering hydrallics, water pressure system, sat/tv, toilet pumps and macerator, or water heater... Can't break if you don't have it.
Never had to wory about an equalizer or electric brakes, wide load permits.
Still managed to have a lot of great times on the water and get to drift under the same summer night sky as everyone else.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

PS... cell phone has never been "out of service"... cuz it stays at home...always.
Last edited by SlackwaterJack on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SlackwaterJack

City: Lewiston
State/Province: ID
Ranger Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Slackwater Jack (2005)

Postby HRowland on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:05 pm

GulfSailor wrote:Has anyone had similar issues with the later Mase 2.7 model?

I had the electric fuel pump fail on the Mase 2.7. It was an infant mortality issue since the genset only had 15 hours on it. I spoke to Andrew who guided me through diagnosis to isolate the issue to the genset or the tugs fuel system. Once we determined that the genset was at fault he contacted Mase North America who quickly called me. After a discussion on the phone they they determined that the pump was bad and sent me a new one. It was easy to install, remove the side cover of the genset then a couple of hose clamps, two wires, and finally the clamp holding the pump in. I now have about 35 hours on the Mase with no further issues. It is nice to be able to run the AC while underway!

Howard
HRowland

City: Warwick
State/Province: RI
Ranger Model: R-27 Tug
Vessel Name: (2012) Little Debbie
MMSI Number: 338124238

Postby Nellie Too on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi Howard,
You might want to know that your boat has an inverter on it for limited AC power (probably 1800 watts). Nita and I bought our 2008 R-25 and had the factory install an inverter, since then they have been standard. You might check with the factory about how it operates but with the engine running you do have AC power.
Bob
Nellie Too

City: Anacortes
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: (2009) Nellie Too

Postby HRowland on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:12 pm

Nellie Too wrote:Hi Howard,
You might want to know that your boat has an inverter on it for limited AC power (probably 1800 watts). Nita and I bought our 2008 R-25 and had the factory install an inverter, since then they have been standard. You might check with the factory about how it operates but with the engine running you do have AC power.
Bob

Bob,

I was referring to the air conditioning. The inverter would not handle this. The inverter on my 27 is 1500 watts. We do use the inverter to run the microwave, a coffee maker, hair dryer, etc. and it is great for these items.

Howard
HRowland

City: Warwick
State/Province: RI
Ranger Model: R-27 Tug
Vessel Name: (2012) Little Debbie
MMSI Number: 338124238

Next

Return to Chat