Garmin Bluechart Mobile App - Where are you?

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Re: Garmin Bluechart Mobile App - Where are you?

Postby rem1473 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:56 am

baz wrote: ...but suspect it means another $200 for the Garmin's Wi-Fi device... :roll:

No baz, you will need a different $200 box from Garmin to use Quatix with your plotter. You will need the Garmin NMEA 2000 transceiver that works with ANT:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=124640

Many years ago, there was a running joke that modern cars carried more computing power then Neil Armstrong took to the moon. Pretty soon we'll have some sort of joke that a modern boats and RF transmitters. Lets see: wifi for connecting to the interwebs. Separate wifi to connect to Garmin Marine network. ANT, Bluetooth, LTE, GSM, SSB, FRS, Radar, VHF... What did I miss? Gosh, that's a lot of RF we're putting out there!
rem1473

City: Strongsville
State/Province: OH

Postby baz on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:34 pm

We need a 'standard' to stop all this nonsense... but that's too much to hope for...
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 w/F300 outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby rem1473 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:21 am

I just had a pipe dream. It would be neat if we could use a modern smartphone along with the Garmin Wifi adapter to tether a chartplotter to the Internet. Then have the chartplotter access WX data the same way it does now with the GDL 40. It's killer features like this that will help Garmin beat their competitors.

I hope Garmin is reading this thread!
rem1473

Postby Matamanoa on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:00 am

I just purchased this App for my IPAD 2 (iOS 6.x) along with Mediterranean Maps (55 Euros) , but I discovered that this App CRASHES when you try to insert a waypoint !!!! It is TOTALLY USELESS for who - like myself - has no wi-fi connectivity with other Garmin instruments, but wants to use the App for planning !!!
Did anyone experienced the same problem ?
Matamanoa

City: Roma
State/Province: Other

Postby patmcqueen on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Still loving the BlueChart Mobile app on iOS. The weather and live bouy data is great. Last weekend I was able to configure my network to allow my iPad to be on the Internet and connected to my 7215 at the same time. I did this with my own router ... Not too hard to configure but took some trial and error. I am not sure why Garmin can't publish their detailed configuration!

All the details here: https://sites.google.com/a/patmcqueen.c ... ne/success
patmcqueen

City: Franklin
State/Province: MI
Non-Ranger Model: Other

Postby rem1473 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:32 pm

I am so glad to hear that you figured out how to have the iPad connected to the internet and to the Garmin network at the same time!!

I was really hoping that Activecaptain would publish the official Garmin config. He said that Garmin would permit him to post it after their product hit the market. That does not seem to have happened at this thread. I am glad to hear that we're reverse engineering without the official config. It's especially satisfying to figure something out after you have been told that it's highly unlikely you will be able to do so. patmcqueen was able to top that by figuring out how to extend the configuration to do things that you can't do with the official Garmin config! That's exactly why companies like Garmin should support the DIY community.

My hats off to patmcqueen for posting your solution!
rem1473

Postby ActiveCaptain on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:14 pm

rem1473 wrote:I was really hoping that Activecaptain would publish the official Garmin config. He said that Garmin would permit him to post it after their product hit the market.

I'm sorry if you were confused by what I wrote. The last 2 things I wrote were:

I'm currently unable to provide it. As soon as their product ships, they expect the configuration to become public.

There is nothing else I'm going to comment on about Garmin networking unless it is public. I'm sorry.

I surely hope no one was waiting for anything from me...
ActiveCaptain

City: Castine
State/Province: ME
Non-Ranger Model: DeFever 53RPH
Vessel Name: aCappella

Postby rem1473 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:31 am

I don't have any hard feelings that you did not share the config. Garmin lets you preview this stuff, so you have to play by their rules. I completely understand that. I would do the same thing if I were you.

I guess that I did misunderstand. I thought you would be able to post the official config once the product shipped. I assumed that because you used the phrase: "currently unable to provide it." Which implied to me that you would be able to provide the config at some time in the future, probably just after the product ships. My mistake. I would never ask you to alienate your relationship with Garmin.

Pat McQueen and I helped each other to figure it out in spite of these rules from Garmin. In fact, Pat McQueen made it far better! Kudos to him!
rem1473

Postby patmcqueen on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks for the kind words rem1473. Your start on the ip addressing really helped. Now we just need to convince Garmin that trying to keep how their plptters integrate a secret is a bad idea.
patmcqueen

City: Franklin
State/Province: MI
Non-Ranger Model: Other

Postby kevinflanagan on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:08 am

Started reading this thread, just a quick browse so I know I missed a lot of info. I hadn't realized all this was new in production/release. I downloaded the Bluechart app on my iPad about 2 weeks ago and the last couple of days have been using it in conjunction with ActiveCaptain and so far have been very pleased. However, I don't know the other apps that it has been compared with, so I don't have a baseline for rating the app. I haven't yet gotten the Bluetooth connectivity to the boat yet, hit a snag early on and have been using independently with the GPS on iPad. Will be curious to learn much more about this app as it progresses and learn much more.

Lastly, am I possibly using a beta version? I did have to buy it, so not sure...
kevinflanagan

City: Blanco
State/Province: TX
Non-Ranger Model: R-31
Vessel Name: Heart Tug

Postby kevinflanagan on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:54 am

Whoops, just realized I had missed 10 pages on this thread! I am WAY behind the times, new to boating and all the comes with it. Did learn a lot reading the thread!
kevinflanagan

City: Blanco
State/Province: TX
Non-Ranger Model: R-31
Vessel Name: Heart Tug

Postby DaveM on Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:47 pm

I have been following this thread and Pat Mcqueen's website and gave me a good start. I have confirmed that my chart plotter (Garmin4208 with software v7.70) is 172.16.6.0. However with Pat' s instructions 172.16.0.254 or 172.16.6.3 to follow his original work doesn't work. When connected up on bridge mode I get no network on the Ipad when I try to logon with DHCP or static ip in these neighborhoods. Where am I missing it. I am using a crossover cable from the chartplotter to the hub or POE. That seems to fit Garmin instructions.

Thanks Much
DaveM
DaveM

City: Oriental
State/Province: NC
Non-Ranger Model: O'Day 35
Vessel Name: DAMWEGAS

Postby captstu on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:22 am

I am planning a sailing trip with my extended family - 15 of us on two catamarans.

I laid out the trip and created a dozen or so routes with my IPAD - it was surprising easy, better than other tools I've used over the past 25 years or so since electronic navigation started and far easier than route planning with a sailing chart and a big piece of paper.

I'd like to share the overall route with the family - several grandkids are interested in reading about the ports of call and an overview chart sems better to communicate the "feel" of the trip and many pages of text.

HOW DO I DISPLAY MULTIPLE ROUTES ON MY IPAD WITH GARMIN BLUECHART?

Thanks
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV
captstu

City: Delray Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV

Postby captstu on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:58 am

One other thing -

I exported the GPX files from my IPAD Garmin Bluechart and e/mailed the result to my ever patient significant other. She read the e/mail and clicked on the GPX file. It did not know about BlueChart - so she reloaded it, reloaded Active Captain, Reloaded all the charts and tried the GPX file again.

This time the process of OPEN knew about Blue Chart and correctly loaded my routes into Bluechart - destroying all her content in the process.

I know I'm the Garmin first customer to use the export/import file - and I know from other Garmin experience they have never tested it before -- but, what should I do to make it work?

thanks again
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV
captstu

City: Delray Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV

Postby MikeR on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 am

I need some help if anyone would. ( I hope so)
I have a Garmin 5212 and am using the Blue chart mobile on my I pad.
Garmin no longer offers the wi fi adapter and I tried to find one but no luck.
Can anyone tell me what parts I can purchase to make this work. I am using the NEMA 2000 network.
Can't afford to update to a new series which has wi fi at this time.
Best Regards,
MikeR
MikeR

City: Farmingdale
State/Province: NY
Non-Ranger Model: Back Cove 37
Vessel Name: GLORY

PreviousNext

Return to Chat