New Tug

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

New Tug

Postby wynn 'n anniedear on Mon May 25, 2009 10:43 pm

I talked to Jeff today about how to equip our new r25. We don't even have financing yet and he was very helpful going over all the different configurations. This will be our first enclosed boat and we are really excited about the r25. It seems to have everything!!!!!

Wynn
Wynn and Anniedear
McMinnville, Oregon
r-25 ADear 1
wynn 'n anniedear

City: Mcminnville
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: ADEAR I
MMSI Number: 338095881

Re: New Tug options

Postby sparky on Mon May 25, 2009 11:18 pm

We bought it all and are glad we did!

Wallas Marin 2 burner stove (uses kerosene), Generator, Air Conditioning (we are in Virginia Beach, VA), the big Garmin GPS display, 4 kw radar, Bimini (but no side curtains, but they may happen yet). Just did our first 4 day trip and were very comfortable and happy with our choices.

Enjoy your purchase!

Sparky
2009 R-25
Starry Night
Sparky (Monika)
MoonBeam 2017 Cutwater 24
MoonBeam 2001 36' Endeavour Trawler Cat (selling)
Starry Night 2009 R-25 (sold)
Melbourne, Fl
sparky

City: Melbourne
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-24
Non-Ranger Model: 36' Endeavour Trawler Catamaran
Vessel Name: MoonBeam

Re: New Tug

Postby wynn 'n anniedear on Tue May 26, 2009 9:20 am

I saw the pictures of your tug in the album and she is beautiful!!

We live in Oregon, so we hopefully won't need air or a generator. We will only be going South in the winter.
Ranger is using the Garmin 5212 and the Horizon Eclipse VHF now. How will this compare to the Raymarine setup, or should I ask for something else altogether?
Wynn and Anniedear
McMinnville, Oregon
r-25 ADear 1
wynn 'n anniedear

Postby sparky on Tue May 26, 2009 10:07 am

I believe we have the Garmin 5212 and Garmin radar. Happy with both. Especially Friday when we were in a river with only 1 and 1/2 feet of water under the bottom of the boat! Don't ignore the possibility of a generator, depending on how you plan to use the boat. It sure is nice to have power when you want it! And the inside of the boat can warm up fast, even in winter in southern regions..... Much easier to spring for it all now and have Andrew do all the work! :lol:

Sparky
Sparky (Monika)
Melbourne, Fl
sparky

Postby wynn 'n anniedear on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:37 am

Yahoo!

Thursday we found out we would get financing for our R25!

Many thanks to Jeff and John and all involved.

We will go to Kent the week of the 22nd to get our orientation and pick up our hero red R25. She will be named ADEAR I.
:D
Wynn and Anniedear
McMinnville, Oregon
r-25 ADear 1
wynn 'n anniedear

Postby doke01 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:23 pm

Congratulations! We love ours. We are getting ready for an 18 day trip up the Hudson river to Lake Champlain! I can't wait!!!!
Doug Kersten
Captain
Nauti Dream (2007)
doke01

City: W. Keansburg
State/Province: NJ
Vessel Name: Nauti Dream (2007)

Postby Stella Maris on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:11 pm

Wynn,
Congratulations on your purchase. I agree with Sparky that a generator is a great thing to have. We did not opt for the built in generator though, we took the Honda 2200 that Jeff was offering at no charge when we purchased our R-25. It was not a tough decision, $7,500 for the built in or free for the portable........ The portable runs the air and battery charger with no problem. If you are not sure of how much you will use the air, look into one of the portables that would fit in a hatch. These run around $800.00 and if you are only going to use it a couple of times a year, this would be a better investment.

We are planning a small rendevzous on the 11th of September in Bremerton Washington. It would be great if you could make it. We currently have 15 boats that are pretty much committed to being there. If you are unable to bring your R-25, there is a Hampton Inn right at the marina. We as well as any other R-21 or R-25 owner would be glad to have you aboard for cocktails and our cruise up to Poulsbo on Saturday the 12th. This goes for any owner that would like to be able to come but are not able to bring along their tug.

Good luck!
David and Maureen Baker
Helmsman PH38, Destiny
http://www.rangertug25-solitude.com
http://www.Helmsman-Ph38-Destiny.com

Always Be Yourself, because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones that mind, don't matter.
Stella Maris

City: Seattle
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: Helmsman PH38, 11' Boston Whaler, 9' Boston Whaler
Vessel Name: Destiny

Postby captd on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:18 pm

Food for though.....The Lucky Fin is loaded with about every option, including the generator. Since installing the two solar panels I think we could live without the genset. Always at peak power on the trailer or in the water. Just got the Cusinart 12 volt coffee pot. An inverter covers all other small 110 volt needs. Best investment off all. Thanks to Mac of the Island Ranger,
Captd
Lucky Fin, 2009, sold 2011
Lucky Finagin 1979 27 ft. Lobster boat
Mis Dee, 2007 Sold 08
Hunky Dory, 2000 Sold 06
captd

City: Libby, Chain of Lakes
State/Province: MT
Non-Ranger Model: 27 ft. 1979 Sports Craft
Vessel Name: Lucky Finagin

Postby Ainokea on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:13 pm

We have had our 25 now for about 9 Mos. The only items she didn't come with was side curtains and the autopilot. We ordered the side curtains from King Canvas after many helpful phone calls with Dave. We just installed them ourselves and will post pictures later. Not to painful and only one or two colorful words espoused. The Tug Nuts and The Factory are great support for any and all questions. Enjoy your new boat.

Frank

"Ainokea"
Ainokea

City: DeLand
Non-Ranger Model: Boston Whaler 170 Montauck
Vessel Name: Ainokea

Postby wynn 'n anniedear on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:14 am

The trip from Bremerton to Poulsbo in September sounds like a great opportunity to get acquainted with out new r25 "ADEAR I" and the tugnut crew. We won't be picking her up for another week and I have been concerned about trailer launching such a massive beast. Do most people use slings? Are there any special tricks to avoid having your tow rig dragged into the deep blue? We will be using the electric boost on the surge/ 4 wheel disc brake set up.
Wynn and Anniedear
McMinnville, Oregon
r-25 ADear 1
wynn 'n anniedear

Postby captain's cat on Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:22 pm

What are you pulling/launching it with? That makes a difference. If you have 4WD, make sure it's engaged after you are on the ramp. Once you get on the ramp, take all hold down's off the boat EXCEPT the line at the winch on the bow. Too many take everything off and lose it on the ramp.

At that time, make sure there is a line on the boat, probably from the bow cleat, long enough to be held by someone on the pier next to the ramp or on the shore (you don't want to see your new R-25 drifting away... :o

Watch others first on the ramp. Do everything deliberately and slowly. If you have a ramp that's steep enough, once you get it in where your tow vehicle tires are at the water, the stern should be floating or about to float. Watch your tailpipe(s), that can stall the engine and lead to lots of problems.

At that point, you can disconnect the bow line at the winch. Just make sure that when you do, the boat doesn't start moving. If you have a bunk trailer, it almost certainly will not. If you have rollers, it may but probably won't.

Now, climb back into the tow vehicle, put in reverse and go a little deeper. When you almost get as deep as you feel comfortable with, stop suddenly. At that point, if the ramp is right, the boat will slip off the trailer and you should then move slowly up the ramp (with the tow vehicle/trailer) to a parking place.

Coming out is almost the reverse except you can get the trailer as deep as you can and power onto the trailer. Don't come in fast but put the bow where it needs to be and them increase power and get it moving again. If you have a cross wind, it will make it harder but I envy those with a stern thruster which will make it a snap to keep the boat lined up. If you don't, a line on the stern on the windward side to someone on the pier should do the trick. I have a ladder on the trailer tongue and I can climb off the bow onto the trailer. You will nearly always have to wade a little. Watch out, it's usually very slippery. If you haven't been able to power the boat all the way up, you should be able to winch the boat up to the bow stop. With a roller trailer its easier. Sometimes, I can't get the TC255 all the way there but if it's within 6-18" or so, I go ahead and take it up to the ramp (make sure the winch cable is attached and tight) on level ground. If I still can't move it, I just go forward a little and tap the brakes and it slides up to the bow stop. Be very careful with this move, with an R-25 it should be less ciritical but on the TC, the bow stop contacts the hull between the two bows of the hulls where it's a little thinner material. You don't want the boat to slide into the truck! Before you leave, make sure the boat is tied down for travel and all the electronics are off!

Just take your time, get some help the first time and you'll be a pro in no time. Good luck!

Charlie
Charlie
TC255
THATAWAY
captain's cat

City: Heathsville
State/Province: VA
Non-Ranger Model: C-Dory Tomcat TC255
Vessel Name: THATAWAY

Postby j&lgray on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:39 pm

Captain's Cat did a nice job in his recommendations. We trailer and launch the Laurie Ann frequently over the past two years (at least twice a month) and we had a 24 foot Bayliner for the previous 10 years that we launched as frequently, so in that context, I would add:

Make sure the plug is the keel before you launch! We ask each other twice to make sure. It is the quickest way to sink at the ramp.

We have a bunk trailer and found that the tug needs to be almost completely floated on and floated off the trailer. With a roller trailer we could do what Charlie said and "jerk it off" or power it on but the tug is just different.

We found that with most boat ramps we back down until the rear tire's rim just touches the water and we stop.

I always back down the ramp on the driver's side to keep the spacing right between the trailer and the boat. When retrieving, we know where the side of the tug is in reference to the trailer's fender well so we know that the boat is properly on the trailer. We never have to wade in the water when retrieving because we step from the dock to the truck's rear fender and walk down the trailer frame, fix the tow strap to the bow eye and crank her in.

We always use four wheel drive when going up the ramp and put her in four wheel low and creep up under total control.

When you get your system down, it all becomes easy. We do the whole launch process in 20 minutes, the whole retrieval process in 15 minutes with no yelling, jumping and no feelings hurt.
John & Laurie Gray
Tribute, Kadey Krogen 39
Trilogy[i], Ranger 27
Former Ranger Tugs: [i]Andiamo
(R-29) and Laurie Ann (R-25)
www.tribute-kadeykrogen39.com,www.andiamo-ranger29.com and www.laurieann-ranger25.com
j&lgray

City: Everett
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: "Tribute" Kadey Krogen 39 Pilothouse
Vessel Name: Trilogy

Postby notaclue on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:54 pm

wynn, you have gotten great advice from all who have given their thoughts,,, here's the caveat!!! having launched the CHRISTINA BEE many times [ 2wheel drive 1 ton duramax] i would keep the safety chain at the bow connected until the boat is floating.... on 2 different occasions,, [not particularily steep ramps] the bee started moving off the bunk trailer while still well on the hard... wet boat shoes are a great tradeoff for trying to figure out how to get your boat ,, back on the trailer or in the water if it winds up in between, just my thoughts,,, as all the tugnuts know i have no clue,, hope to meet you all in sept...steve and tina
notaclue

City: auburn
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: CHRISTINA BEE

Postby sparky on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:12 am

The Grays wrote:
"Make sure the plug is the keel before you launch! We ask each other twice to make sure. It is the quickest way to sink at the ramp."
Since we took delivery of our boat already in the water and do not trailer (didn't even buy a trailer), could someone take and post a picture of their boat out of the water showing the location of the ever important plug?
Thanks so much gang!

Sparky
Sparky (Monika)
Melbourne, Fl
sparky

Postby wynn 'n anniedear on Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:29 am

Thank you all for the sage advice. We will be towing most of the time with an '07 Escalade AWD. When we tow with the motorhome we will be using the sling.

wynn 'n anniedear
Wynn and Anniedear
McMinnville, Oregon
r-25 ADear 1
wynn 'n anniedear

Next

Return to Chat