Aspen C90 vs Ranger tug 27

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Aspen C90 vs Ranger tug 27

Postby Kpeters on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:08 am

Has anyone looked into the aspen c90 (28ft) before buying their ranger tug? Would be great to hear from someone who has been aboard each to compare the ride etc.
2012 Used models of both boats look to be in the same price range. Accommodations look comparable. Bow and stern thrusters on both. Similar drafts. I wouldn't be trailering

C90 fuel efficiency:
A: It has a top speed of 22 mph, cruises between 16 and 18 mph, and at 16 mph uses 4.6 gallons per hour.

Here's specs on the C90
LOA 28 ft., 2 in.
Beam 10 ft.
Draft 24-27 in.
Weight (dry) 6,500 lbs.
Fuel 80 gals.
Water 50 gals.
Cruising speed 15-17 mph
Top speed 22 mph
Engine 150 hp Cummins diesel
STANDARD EQUIPMENT
King-size master stateroom, enclosed head/shower, 4-person dinette that converts to a berth, 8-foot galley w/propane stove and oven, refrigerator, stainless sink, quarter-berth under galley, bow and stern thruster on joy- stick control, swim platform, solar panels, first-mate seat and more.

Thanks All,
Kate
Kpeters

City: somerset
State/Province: NJ
Non-Ranger Model: Sailing catamaran

Re: Aspen C90 vs Ranger tug 27

Postby Boont Boater on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:19 pm

I like the large berth that the C90 has. I also visited their home where they were putting the boats together and was impressed by the apparent quality of the boat. The downside for me was the fairly limited cockpit and for my wife was the boat's appearance compared to the tug. We took care of the berth issue by getting a R29. The next step would have been getting a ride since I don't really know what it feels like to be out on the water in a C90.

I thought that the C90 was quite a bit more expensive then a R27 but maybe things have changed or I was mistaken.

Let us know what you end up with.
Boont Boater

City: Boonville
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Aurora

Postby nzfisher on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:39 am

I looked at these before I bought the R25. More money but if you don't want to trailer your boat they are a wonderful boat. If you are going to trailer they are wider, and harder to put on a trailer. There are issues with cats under certain weather conditions you don't get with mono hulls but a more stable platform is definitely a plus. Great access to talk with the company owner and boat designer. They don't make a lot of these boats so finding a used one with the features you want when you want it could be a problem.
nzfisher

City: corvallis
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Swims with Tuna

Postby GMS on Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:10 pm

Aspen C90 seems to be a fantastic boat, but does have somewhat limited deck and cockpit space. The C100 (~32Ft) has a much nicer cockpit, but is also significantly more expensive. We are currently researching boats to locate our perfect PNW cruising machine and have been very attracted to the Aspens due to the amazing efficiency they exhibit. The Grafs have been very accommodating in getting us on for test drives and fielding questions, seems like the factory support would be amazing.

We only recently viewed an R-29 and R-31 as I am intrigued with the tugs. We were very impressed by the comfort available, particularly on the R-31 (which compare well price wise with the Aspen C100s). We have yet to sea trial a Ranger Tug.

We have been out in very rough water in both the C90 and C100, both seemed to handle chop very well (particularly the C100 where the extra length and buoyancy is noticeable).

The Aspens are a bit spartan when compared to the R-31, but what they do include is very well done.

Still trying to figure out our priorities - comfort, speed, efficiency, etc...
GMS

City: Everett
State/Province: WA

Postby MikeAndLorena on Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:47 pm

We also were intrigued with the Aspen. However, fuel consumption was a big issue for us. We were wondering how the engine sound was different (louder or quieter?) than a Ranger 25. Did you notice that?
MikeAndLorena

City: Missoula
State/Province: MT
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic

Postby crowleykirk on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:03 pm

I've recently added the Aspen to my list. We will be sea trialing one before we make a decision. We plan on doing a lot of Alaska cruising so we are looking at an R29 or the Aspen C100. A side note which is what has brought my attention to Aspen is the owner himself was the first to complete the Pacific Challenge. In the C100. Only other manufacturer to do this was another Cat. The owner of Aspen stepped up and completed the challenge.... that is HUGE. I've never heard of a Ranger attempting this, with someone would. We to love the look of the Ranger but that does not matter to us, we want the best boat for our money and needs.
crowleykirk

City: Mammoth Lakes
Vessel Name: Kirk Williams

Postby Todd2 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:33 pm

Its been awhile, but the Aspen we looked at (C90) appeared to be a well constructed boat (beefed up hull) with similar amenities as the Ranger line. They actually reminded me of each other. I was initially leery of the single engine asymmetrical hull design, but understand it actually works well. I decided against the Aspen's 10ft beam for towing purposes (permits/inspections/limitations) and went with the R-27 CLASSIC (8'6" beam). Also, the Aspen's berth is a rectangular queen size bed, facing fore and aft, with access only from the starboard side. This means someone has to climb over the other (or the other person has to get up also) in order to get out to pee at night. The R-27 has a v-berth with access in the center, still somewhat of a pain, but either person can get out without climbing over the other. (The new R-27 has some standing room in the berth.) I don't think I could stand up completely in the Aspen's berth either (6'2"), but I'm not confident of my memory. These things may or may not be of concern to you - both boats have their plusses and minuses - I think its worth the effort to check out both (Aspen and comparably sized Ranger).

Todd2
Todd2

City: Houston
State/Province: TX
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27

Postby crowleykirk on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:03 am

Yeah, I agree with everything you said here. We want to sea trial the Ranger, the Aspen and the Helmsmen and make our decision from there. We have been in love with eh Rangers and have looked at them for years and many boat shows. Just saw these other two in the San Juans this years and thought they looked really nice. We thing the Rangers look the best for sure but we are very much interested in cruising up to Alaska etc.... so safety, fuel economy and ride will be the determining factor. The Aspen looks really good for that and the owner took a C100 on the Pacific Challenge, very impressive. Sure like to see Ranger give that a go. Only thing on the Aspen I don't care for is the tight engine room. Being a past diesel tech on yachts, the engine room is a priority for me. Thanks for the comments Todd, greatly appreciated:-)
crowleykirk

Postby Cutwater28GG on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:52 pm

why not also consider a cutwater if you are looking at the aspen?
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby crowleykirk on Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:53 am

All I can say is go try one. After chatting with some new friends at a BBQ whom work on PNW boats I have decided against Ranger Tugs. I won't go into details since people get very gruff on this forum. We are down to either Targa 27.2 or an Aspen C90 or C100. Wish they had a small flybridge as I believe it's a must but up here I can live without it. These are both very expensive boats. I hope we can maybe find a used next summer or start an order as both these boats are custom ordered and build to your spec. So even if you want one, and have the funds you have to wait.

To be fair this is not apples to apples. Both Targa and Aspen or in a different league than a Ranger Tug. It's not a fair comparison as far as quality and sea worthless go.

I still think Rangers are very "cute" my wife.... but that's about it when you dig deep and talk to people about them.
If I could buy a cheap used 23 or 27 Ranger, I'd still consider if as that may be were my budget it.

The Aspens are some comfortable as sea and at anchor, you really can't compare them to a mono hull. We haven't decided either but testing each really gives you something to think about. If your a super salty guy or gal I think you'd stick with a mono hull because you are used to that and have great sea legs:-)
crowleykirk

Postby JamesTXSD on Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:17 pm

CrowleyKirk, I recall you saying "you weren't going to post here anymore until you get your boat." At that time, you hadn't been on one of these boats, or any of the others you were considering. So, you "talked to someone at a BBQ" and now you have an informed opinion?? Kinda hard to give much credence to what you say given your history here.

viewtopic.php?t=11958
CD-25, Wild Blue
http://captnjim.blogspot.com/
JamesTXSD

City: Tropical Tip
State/Province: TX
Non-Ranger Model: C-Dory 25 (sold)
Vessel Name: Wild Blue

Postby Chimo on Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:23 pm

JamesTXSD wrote:CrowleyKirk, I recall you saying "you weren't going to post here anymore until you get your boat." At that time, you hadn't been on one of these boats, or any of the others you were considering. So, you "talked to someone at a BBQ" and now you have an informed opinion?? Kinda hard to give much credence to what you say given your history here.

viewtopic.php?t=11958

How can you say that!! :o Don't you know that the world's experts on working on Ranger Tugs are to be found at a BBQ in Mammoth Lakes CA :?:
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

City: Sidney
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Chimo
MMSI Number: 316033437

Postby NorthernFocus on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:30 pm

The question in the OP is kind of putting the cart before the horse. Before comparing specific boats with one another it's helpful to gain an understanding of advantages/disadvantages of multihulls versus monohulls. And within the world of monohulls the differences between hull designs and IB vs OB. After crossing those bridges then comparing specific boats of the same basic design is reasonable.

Or just hang out someplace(either real of virtual) where there is plenty of testosterone flowing and go with the opinion of the loudest guy in the crowd.
Dan

Never confuse confidence for competence.
NorthernFocus

City: Anchorage
State/Province: AK
Vessel Name: Divine Focus

Postby scross on Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:03 pm

I think this discussion is all backwards. No one has discussed what the use of the boat will be. IMHO step one is defining the mission. Of course different boats will be better at different missions.
No one boat, or one manufacturer, builds boats that are optimal for every intended mission scenario. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of the best boat for their particular mission. But if we are discussing merits of different boats without first discussing what the boat will be used for first then I think we are just waiting our time on this thread.....
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
Non-Ranger Model: 1987 Addictor 190
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Postby scross on Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:03 pm

Duplicate post.
Last edited by scross on Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
Non-Ranger Model: 1987 Addictor 190
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Next

Return to Chat