North Atlantic Right Whales

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

North Atlantic Right Whales

Postby GA-Midnight Cruise on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:15 pm

The last weekend of this past January I set off out of Fernandina Beach, FL headed up the coast of Georgia for a coast wise day cruise and return before nightfall in my R21 Classic, St. Brendan. I was going to duck into St Andrews Sound at the north End of Cumberland Island and do some tidal creek exploration with the rising tide. I was 3-4 Nm off the north beach of the island when I noticed a whale a few hundred yards off my port beam. Then a noticed a relatively small flipper extend straight up. I had the distinct pleasure to observe a female, Northern Right Whale nursing her calf from my binoculars. Was an awesome experience and the apex of an awesome day recharging at sea.
GA-Midnight Cruise

City: Alpharetta
State/Province: GA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21
Non-Ranger Model: R21, Square Grouper: R21, Goliath: R21, Sweet Pea
Vessel Name: St. Brendan

Re: North Atlantic Right Whales

Postby Metric Rider on Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:37 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Metric Rider

City: Quispamsis
State/Province: NB
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Lil Toot
MMSI Number: 316027188

Postby GA-Midnight Cruise on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:18 pm

I have befriended a Florida Wildlife Resources contact who I keep on speed dial in the event I cross paths with our flippered friends off shore. I check in with her every year about this time as calving season gets underway here on the southern Atlantic coast of N. America. 2017 was a devastating year for the fragile NARW population. 6 vessels strikes and 3 entanglements. Most of which were females. There are 5 current entanglements. One entanglement rescue member perished in 2017, which was the first of it's kind. Canadian, Joe Howlett age 59. He was a member of a non-profit NGO from New Brunswick that worked with The Canadian Dept of Fisheries and Oceans. No reports yet this season of mothers or calves in SC, GA or FL waters.
GA-Midnight Cruise

Postby JamesTXSD on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:44 pm

What a great experience! For those that don't follow such things, the North Atlantic Right Whales are endangered - estimates of fewer than 400 animals left. These are marine mammals that the next generation may not get to see.

A memorable time on the water!
CD-25, Wild Blue
http://captnjim.blogspot.com/
JamesTXSD

City: Tropical Tip
State/Province: TX
Non-Ranger Model: C-Dory 25 (sold)
Vessel Name: Wild Blue

Postby GA-Midnight Cruise on Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:30 pm

I found out today the Right Whale I spotted off the coast of Cumberland Island Georgia on Jan 31, 2016 and was the Genesis of this thread was killed this past June of blunt force trauma due to ship strike. She was was a 36 year old productive female by the name of Punctuation. 6 whale deaths were reported in June in the Gulf of St Lawrence. There is an additional 3 whales currently with fishing gear entanglements.
GA-Midnight Cruise

Return to Chat