R-23 with Yamaha 200HP & Auxiliary motor package 9.9 yamaha

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

R-23 with Yamaha 200HP & Auxiliary motor package 9.9 yamaha

Postby baz on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:50 pm

Subject: R-23 with Yamaha 200HP & Auxiliary motor package 9.9 Yamaha

RT provides the option for the Auxiliary motor package 9.9 yamaha, electric wireless steering, S.S. Bracket.

1) With this option installed does the Auxiliary unit in any way restrict the motion of the main Yamaha 200HP unit ?

2) What is meant by "electric wireless steering" ?

3) When cruising does the Auxiliary motor need to be removed or can it simply be left in the 'UP' position so to not interfere with anything ?

4) Is fuel for the Auxiliary motor fed from the main fuel tank ?

5) Where are the steering control(s) for the Auxiliary unit located ? In cockpit and/or helm position ?

6) In the event the main 200HP motor were to breakdown can the Auxiliary motor be used to get home or to shore line without too much ado ?

7) What is approx speed of the R-23 when using the Auxiliary motor at WOT ?

8) If the R-23 is equipped with Autopilot I assume it controls the motion of the main 200HP unit for steering, right ? Is there any feature with the Autopilot option to also feed steering commands to the Auxiliary motor while the main 200HP motor is shutdown (not being used) ?

9) How secure are the two Yamaha motors from being stolen ? (I bet the 200HP unit must weigh a few pounds :o )

10) Are there any easily removed items on both motors that may attract thieves ?
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB NW Edition - IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Re: R-23 with Yamaha 200HP & Auxiliary motor package 9.9 yamaha

Postby LAKERtoo on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:20 pm

.. just my .02 and others may know better .. my take:

.. the 9.9 should not interfere with the main outboard if installed properly
.. there are ant-theft accessories that can be installed for either motor
.. wireless remote means when operating the 9.9, you have a control that you can hang around your neck to steer by .. not sure if it also engages forward/reverse and throttle .. its pricey and electronic .. I elected to go with a secondary control station with full steering and controls on my R21.. doesn't take much room

.. a 9.9 should have enough power to keep you off the rocks if you loose main power .. it also has its own charging system and I think can be plumbed into your main fuel feed .. power trim keeps it out of the way when travelling

Cheers Rob
LAKERtoo

City: Port Alberni
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21
Vessel Name: RIBBIT

Postby Scuffy on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:14 pm

Dave Deem
Not on The World of Ranger Tugs yet.
So if you are looking for me we live about 25miles N.E. of Philadelphia in Buckingham,Pa
2014 R-27
hull ID # USFMLT27161314
Volvo D3
Scuffy

City: Doylestown
State/Province: PA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: Float On Tandem Axle Trailer
Vessel Name: Tinytown
MMSI Number: 338190746

Postby ShortCut on Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:19 am

We have what appears to be essentially the same package on our Cutwater C-242, but we have a Yamaha 300HP with a Yamaha 9.9HP kicker. I agree with Rob's description and here are some answers as they apply to our Cutwater:

1. There is no interference with the kicker.
2. The wireless steering is controlled by a hand-held remote.
3. The kicker is out of the way when in the electrically-driven "up" position.
4. Fuel is from the main tank.
5. While the remote directly steers the kicker, the main engine acts as a rudder while in the "down" position. I find it easiest to simply set the kicker to move the boat straight ahead and steer the boat directly with the steering wheel. If I need to react to conditions more quickly than the kicker can handle, I simply ignore the kicker and turn on the main engine to speed up or even reverse.
6. The kicker has plenty of power to get you home if the main engine fails.
7. The kicker moves the boat at 4-5 knots WOT.
8. We don't have Autopilot, but I would think that it would work fine under kicker power by simply using the main engine as a rudder.
9. Thieves will take whatever they can, so I keep a cable-lock on the kicker.

Marshall
ShortCut

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-242 C
Vessel Name: ShortCut

Postby aphanson17 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:29 am

Answers to your questions below.

1) With this option installed does the Auxiliary unit in any way restrict the motion of the main Yamaha 200HP unit ?
Does not restrict the motor in any way

2) What is meant by "electric wireless steering" ?
This uses a Panther wireless steering system where you can control the engine from a remote control anywhere in the boat. This remote is only used for steering. You still have to go to the engine to engage F/N/R and use the throttle.

3) When cruising does the Auxiliary motor need to be removed or can it simply be left in the 'UP' position so to not interfere with anything ?
It can be left in the up position

4) Is fuel for the Auxiliary motor fed from the main fuel tank ?
Yes

5) Where are the steering control(s) for the Auxiliary unit located ? In cockpit and/or helm position ?
You can use the panther remote control from anywhere in the boat. I've also found that you can actually steer the boat a bit with the main 200 in the water acting as a rudder. Alternatively, if you wanted, you could replace the panther steering system with a tie-bar that would allow you to steer with the steering wheel.

6) In the event the main 200HP motor were to breakdown can the Auxiliary motor be used to get home or to shore line without too much ado ?
Yes. This will push your boat along to get you to shoreline.

7) What is approx speed of the R-23 when using the Auxiliary motor at WOT ?
I want to say I've seen 4-5mph on mine. Obviously tides and currents will make a difference.

8) If the R-23 is equipped with Autopilot I assume it controls the motion of the main 200HP unit for steering, right ? Is there any feature with the Autopilot option to also feed steering commands to the Auxiliary motor while the main 200HP motor is shutdown (not being used) ?
You could use a tie-bar like I said before. You could probably even keep the 9.9hp straight and use the main as a rudder with the autopilot.

9) How secure are the two Yamaha motors from being stolen ? (I bet the 200HP unit must weigh a few pounds :o )
You can buy anit-theft kits to secure them if you're concerned about theft.

10) Are there any easily removed items on both motors that may attract thieves ?
I'm unsure about this.

Hope this answers your questions.
aphanson17

City: Mill Creek
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Sea and Wonder

Return to Chat