The new 2018 R-27 review

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Re: The new 2018 R-27 review

Postby Brian B on Fri May 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Great review on the boat Barry. Can't wait for you to take ownership and tell us all about it. She is way to pretty to fish off of with all that upholstery in the cockpit, IMO. In the pics I noticed some carpeted head liner being used AKA Monkey Fur, that's a turn off for me, too bad they couldn't use a vinyl material for a long term clean look. That Yamaha can burn some fuel wide open!!
Brian B

City: West Warwick
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby baz on Fri May 19, 2017 3:02 pm

Fair questions/thoughts....

However...

1) Cockpit seating can be flipped up and completely sealed off from view and abuse from fishing activities IMO. RT has IMO obviously tried to make the cockpit suitable for people who wish to use the boat for fishing with downrigger plates, and special shelving on starboard side of the cockpit, plus you have the very robust/thick transom with water sink and with the electric grill removed a deep drained well is exposed for dealing with fishy stuff. ;)

2) I agree about the 'fur' issue as I had some on my R-25 (Classic). The only 'fur' I came across was inside the cave. Everywhere else there's a smooth polished liner creating a 'double skin'. No 'fur' to be seen anywhere in the V-berth at all. There's more use of 'fur' in/on the R-23.

3) Yes, fuel burn is going to be high when speeding along. Then so would a diesel engine when run at speed. The fuel burn between diesel and gasoline outboard engines can be comparable at certain RPMs and speeds. Burning diesel is also more polluting than is for burning gasoline. Water in diesel fuel is a very serious problem but not so much for gasoline. Both diesel and gasoline marine engines require special attention for delivering clean fuel. Ethanol blended gasoline should not be used nor should high-sulfur diesel be used.
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded/sold 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs
Ordered 2018 R-27/OB Midnight Blue - Delivery 8/16/2017 (with 2 days for Systems & Operations training)
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: LAXEY

Postby baz on Sat May 20, 2017 6:36 pm

I've posted a few more photos (goto https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0iGqkRUiGrb911) I captured today on and around the new 2018 R-27/OB and a movie or two while out on the water outside of Bremerton Marina with Kenny Marrs at the helm.

The new photos are of the cockpit storage areas and the underside of the Kenyon electric grill. Note the there's a convenient 110v receptacle that can be access through a round hatch and used for the electric grill.

The Ski tow pole is shown to be securely anchored down at its base.

Battery charger, hot water heater tank and Autopilot pump are all on/in above the starboard cockpit locker.

2 batteries are in each of the starboard and port side lockers.

The ride was for about 20 mins with 3 of us onboard and about 1/4 fuel tank full with wind no more than 6-7 mph. Water was relatively calm with a very small chop and little to no swells.

I closed all windows and cabin door and have to say it was quiet and the three of us had absolutely no problem hearing each other. At idle, there's no noise and no vibrations as you would expect.

I stepped out to the cockpit while the boat was running hard and the noise level was very acceptable with the Yamaha 300HP purring away.

I'm told that when the boat has gear onboard with cabinets having stuff in, clothing and typical boat gear one places onboard, that the noise levels will be even lower.

The only noticeable noise was coming from the water hitting/splashing on the hull. This noise presumable will be less when storage and gear stowed on board.

I asked Kenny to turn the boat while at speed and the boat made a very stable turn with no rocking about. Kenny did not do a full hard over although he said that would not be an issue either. I took a couple of movies out the back of the cockpit while the boat was running at speed.

We topped out at 41 mph when performing a quick fast straight run.

The boat got up on plan at around 15 mph.

I was able to get one reading for RPM, MPH and Fuel burn; 3000 RPM, 15 MPH, 2.1 MPG. I think RT is still experimenting with props at this time so things are likely to be different for full production R-27/OB models.

Kenny said a reasonable/comfortable cruise speed for the boat is from 25 to 30 mph. From my observation the noise at these two speeds I would estimate to be between 70 dB and 75 dB.... fantastic IMO.

I did take noise level measurement inside the cabin from 600 - 5750 RPM with my iPhone's Decibel 10th application. I will not post these numbers as they really are not representative of what they will be when boat finally gets into production and has storage and gear packed onboard.

The bow rises when pushing the speed up as expected and Kenny showed me how to adjust for 'bow up' and 'bow down' simply using the engine's up/down buttons on the throttle lever. Kenny says to use tabs only for adjusting port/starboard leaning.

It was a good day on the water with this new 2018 R-27. :D
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Ordered 2018 R-27/OB Midnight Blue - Delivery 8/16/2017 (with 2 days for Systems & Operations training)
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby trailertrawlerkismet on Sun May 21, 2017 7:33 am

Barry, thank you for the very thorough review and extensive photo library for the new R27. It appears that Ranger Tugs has a home run on there hands with the new 2018 R-27. Probably a good thing you got your order placed early on in the introduction phase.

Jim F
Jim & Lisa FavorsR29S Kismet
info@trailertrawlerlife.com
http://www.trailertrawlerlife.com
http://favorsgreatloopblog.com
http://boatus.com/cruising/kismet/log.asp
trailertrawlerkismet

City: Traverse City
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: (2018) Kismet

Postby baz on Sun May 21, 2017 11:27 am

Yes Jim.... As this is my 3rd attempt at securing a Ranger Tug to meet my changing needs/requirements/use I had no choice but to take time and effort to review the boats. I'm not alone in having to change boats as others have done the same thing over the years. I know of several Tugnuts that have owned three of the Ranger Tugs.... and still going with their footites. :o

I had always thought I would buy a boat and stick with it for ever.... They say humans have a desire for change every 7 to 10 years, be it with a boat, a house, furniture, auto, etc. It's uncanny how the mind works at times. It's the ladies rather than the men that seek periodic changes I find. :lol: I feel very fortunate to have been able to move with the times and make the changes.

The latest boat reviews I've done along with our new needs has been quite interesting and worthwhile doing. First and foremost in my mind was the excellent Customer Support that Ranger Tugs provides and this aspect kept me firmly looking at the Ranger Tug models that came close to meeting requirements. In addition, having the Ranger Tug company and its boat building factories local to my area is an added bonus.

My considerations for a new boat were; R-23/OB, R-27 (diesel) and the new R-27/OB when I realized it was soon to be introduced. Having seen and having been on several R-27 (diesel) models and knowing it really was an extended and modernized version of my previous R-25 (Classic) I spent little time reviewing it. My attention was directed toward the R-23 and new R-27.

The R-23/OB is a solid value for money and RT offers options to fit peoples needs for sure. For awhile after going to the R-23 factory and having the opportunity of getting onboard a new R-23 at my local marina, my mind was close to being made up for securing the R-23. However, with the new R-27 looming up and with limited specification on the RT web site I felt it sensible to wait a bit longer. This gave me time to review the R-23 thoroughly while waiting for the full details for the new R-27 to surface. Once they did, and then running some financial numbers I quickly came to the conclusion the new R-27 was another boat to take a hard look at for investing in. With plenty of water under the bridge, the new R-27 rose to the top of my list quickly (with the R-23 as a solid 2nd place) and I felt confident in choosing it as my/our third Ranger Tug. :D

I look forward to taking delivery of my/our new R-27. Only time will tell when I get a call from Andrew giving me an estimated delivery date as my understanding is that the new R-27 is a winner with other people and boat dealers wanting this new addition to the Ranger Tug family of boats. I'm flexible and will be patient as best I can. ;) :)

P.S. Just learned yesterday that the rear of the R-27's transom contains a chrome covered plate on starboard side that provides access to a hot/cold extensible shower head for the shivering swimmers as they climb back aboard. :o Very useful for the little kids I'm sure as well as cleaning them off some. ;)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Boatdreamer on Sun May 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Barry, thank you for a great write-up on the new 27. I can't wait the see one in person, but I would need to get over my fear of sleeping on a boat with a 150 gallons of gasoline onboard. I'm sure Ranger Tugs follows all the USCG safety rules for storing that much fuel so I'm sure the first time I saw 40 MPH I would forget all about it. Just the thought of getting to West End in the Bahamas in two hours is sweet. What size and brand generator are they using and how large of an A/C unit do you think they will be using? The reason I'm asking is I had to do major modifications to Gratitudes A/C to get the boat cool in the Floida heat. If we decided to buy an other one I would only do a sea trial in the summer to see if the air can cool the boat. One more thing, i would want our next one in white, no more dark colors in Florida! Good luck with your new build.

Tim and Donna
Gratitude
Boatdreamer

City: Stuart
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 17 Keywest
Vessel Name: Gratitude

Postby baz on Sun May 21, 2017 2:56 pm

Tim & Donna:

I'm told Ranger Tug can create a white hull if requested. Actually, it's the cheapest color for Ranger to do.

I don't know the full specs for the new 2018 R-27's A/C and Gen units. Best to ask this directly to Ranger Tugs. The Genset is powered with gasoline.... :o

I would expect a heating cooling professional can determine the correct A/C specifications for keeping a specific boat cool in the Florida summer heat. I assume the worst case scenario for keeping the interior of the R-27 cool enough would be on a suffocating day at nighttime. When cruising you get fresh air ventilation that presumably helps.

I'm aware of the heat/humidity aspect that occur in the southern states. We lived just north of Atlanta for 4 years, 3 yrs in southern Virginia on the coast and several years in northern Connecticut and do understand the need for A/C. Traveling down to Florida a few times we experienced the heat issue. My wife was pregnant at the time and fainted several times due to the heat conditions. In fact, we are so accustomed to A/C that we have A/C for our house in the PNW Puget Sound area just north of Seattle. This may sound strange but it actually does get quite hot for maybe a month or two in this area. When we first arrived in WA in 1977 we were entering a period of time in August with temperatures in the high 90ºFs for several weeks and nasty humidity along with this.... and we thought all along as we traveled west we were getting back to cooler and more moderate weather.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby baz on Sun May 21, 2017 6:19 pm

You may notice that the new 2018 R-27 has no rails around the cockpit's gunwales. I was told this was because the design called for increasing the height of the gunwales making it unnecessary for rails. Upon inspection I would say the new R-27 has an extra 4" in height for the gunwales. I don't know if this was achieved by making the sides higher or lowering the cockpit flooring. ;)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby 502mad on Mon May 22, 2017 5:08 pm

Great review Barry!

My wife and I are starting the research on acquiring our first RT (actually... first stinkpot.... always been ragbaggers) and as much as the 23 is more in keeping with our budget the new 27OB will definitely have to be considered.

The funny thing is, before your review, I always thought a deisel was the only way to go but now a clean, low -dB OB needs a re-think.

Curious to follow along on your acquisition.

Thanks for taking all those great pics!
502mad

City: Whitby
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic

Postby baz on Mon May 22, 2017 5:25 pm

502mad:

From a financial aspect consider the price difference of the R-23 vs. the new 2018 R-27 with the R-23 loaded up with options all of which are standard/stock on the new 2018 R-27. In addition, price in the extras you get with the new 2018 R-27, such as more space, larger V-berth, larger head enclosure, propane cooker, more cockpit seating, electric flush head, longer cockpit overhead canvas, well designed and super looking helm console, double-wide helm seat, bigger Inverter, stronger platform for OB, hot/cold shower for return swimmers and windless (and the list of the extras is much longer than what I state here) and you will get to an amazingly small price difference between the R-23 and the new 2018 R-27.

My real point here is that the new 2018 R-27 at this point in time is very good value for the money. :)

Of course, if you want the basic/stock R-23 the price difference is much greater making the R-23 much more affordable.

Also, my guess is that Ranger will increase the introductory pricing for the new 2018 R-27 come early next year, much like they did for the R-23.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby S. Todd on Mon May 22, 2017 10:11 pm

Great review Barry.
I feel your excitement in finding the perfect boat to do what you want it to do. Back in the 80s I purchased three boast in a four year period until we stretched the budget and found the right one. When after 17 years that one met an untimely end to its usefulness in a highway accident (that was not my fault) it took three more purchases until we owned a R25SC (so far this one seems right at this stage in our lives).
I would have to see it running at night but from the photos it sure looks to me that the handholds on the eyebrows in front of the red and green lights are going to partially block the view of those lights from a boat that is dead ahead. I have followed a ski boat at night that my brother has and when he is not running with the bow up from dead astern the stern light mounted on the arch gets blocked by the wake board tow post mounted up there. It is extremely annoying and unsafe IMO. Required lights fore and aft should never be blocked by other features of the boat. I am sure if you call it to Andrew's attention they will double check this and fine tune the installation if necessary as production ramps up.
S. Todd

City: Indianapolis
State/Province: IN
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Non-Ranger Model: Zodiac Cadet Aero 230 & Innova kayaks
Vessel Name: Audrey Rose (2015)
MMSI Number: 367722240

Postby baz on Mon May 22, 2017 11:21 pm

S. Todd wrote:...snip...
I would have to see it running at night but from the photos it sure looks to me that the handholds on the eyebrows in front of the red and green lights are going to partially block the view of those lights from a boat that is dead ahead....snip...

Thanks for the comments...

I have to agree as they do look close to what you have mentioned. I will have to take a closer look next time I get to see the boat. The photos were of the new 2018 R-27 #1 (prototype ?) and likely rushed somewhat for the Bremerton Trawlerfest.

There may also be an issue with a boat dead ahead not seeing these lights if the R-27's bow is high up, as that would angle up the lights horizontal plastic surface and could block the light(s) from being seen. :o Traveling at night is precarious at best and not something I've done too often. :)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Jake on Tue May 23, 2017 8:04 am

Congrats, great choice. The 2018 R-27 is certainly at the top of my list but wonder why you didn't include the C-242 in your research, a little more in common with the R-27 compared to the R-23.
Jake

City: Fort Wayne
State/Province: IN

Postby baz on Tue May 23, 2017 9:23 am

Jake wrote:...snip...but wonder why you didn't include the C-242 in your research, a little more in common with the R-27 compared to the R-23.

True.... I could have... However, I really prefer the more conservative styling of the Ranger Tugs along with their customer support team. It boils down to what one is more comfortable with.

The Ranger Tugs and the Cutwater boats are all very fine boats IMO.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby BobnDoc on Tue May 23, 2017 11:14 am

Barry,

Thanks for your very comprehensive review of the 2018 R-27. Just reading your words was like taking a virtual tour, even before seeing all the photos. It looks like Ranger has come up with a great design, and you made a great choice in jumping on it. Cynthia and I wish you and your wife many happy and comfortable cruises !!! Bob
BobnDoc

Non-Ranger Model: CutWater 28
Vessel Name: Endorphin
MMSI Number: 367789610

PreviousNext

Return to Chat