The new 2018 R-27 review

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Re: The new 2018 R-27 review

Postby baz on Sat May 27, 2017 3:45 pm

I came across a YouTube video a person captured of the new 2018 R-27 during their visit to the Bremerton Trawlerfest. I was alongside this person at the time and wasn't aware the person was taking video.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Me4BvIUW1g
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 w/F300 outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby ixlr8 on Sat May 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Who was that demonstrating the berth storage and the table, I assume it was one of the factory folks?
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"- on order
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Non-Ranger Model: 2013 Pulsfer Hampton
Vessel Name: Lucy

Postby scross on Sat May 27, 2017 6:13 pm

That was the all knowing and most honorable Duke of Windlass himself. Otherwise known as Andrew Custis.
Last edited by scross on Sat May 27, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Postby baz on Sat May 27, 2017 6:13 pm

That was the infamous "Andrew" (Andrew Custis). :)

P.S. Was down at my Edmonds marina today walking Jake and with the glorious sunny blue sky day was anxious to get on the water. I had told Andrew I was flexible on my new 2018 R-27 delivery, but after today I'm not so sure I will have the patience to be that flexible.... :lol: Maybe push the RT dealer orders to the back of the line.... ;)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby ixlr8 on Sat May 27, 2017 6:58 pm

baz wrote:P.S. Was down at my Edmonds marina today walking Jake and with the glorious sunny blue sky day was anxious to get on the water. I had told Andrew I was flexible on my new 2018 R-27 delivery, but after today I'm not so sure I will have the patience to be that flexible.... :lol: Maybe push the RT dealer orders to the back of the line.... ;)

I went for a ride on a 23 a few days ago, I still want to see a 27 before making a decision. After riding on the 23... if I had an order in for either.... I would be tempted to call the factory about 3 times a week wondering when it was going to be ready!! My dealer has a 27 on order and it is suppose to be in "soon", but he won't be any more specific than that. I am starting to go a little crazy just waiting for the 27 to come in so I can see it, never mind if I had one on order. Patience is not my strong point. The temptation is strong to put a deposit down on the 27 the dealer is getting in! I suspect if it was a color I liked I would have.

Jim
Jim
ixlr8

Postby NautiTug on Wed May 31, 2017 1:21 pm

Any Idea why no Stern thurster on the R27 2018?
NautiTug

City: Little Silver
State/Province: NJ
Non-Ranger Model: BW 17

Postby Admiral S on Wed May 31, 2017 1:36 pm

With an Outboard or Stern drive you have very good directional thrust. Really no need for a stern thruster in that configuration.
Admiral S

City: Washingtonville
State/Province: NY
Vessel Name: Varka (2017)
MMSI Number: 338238995

Postby baz on Wed May 31, 2017 2:07 pm

NautiTug wrote:Any Idea why no Stern thurster on the R27 2018?

As previous poster mentioned.... you have good directional thrust with the OB motor.

I have the R-21EC currently and it has the bow thruster only. The R-21EC has a very large rudder and with a careful blip on the throttle and using the rudder the stern direction/motion can easily be made. I suspect the R27 2018 with its OB motor can be operated in a similar fashion.

Without a stern thruster you have less transom weight, possibly better forward motion performance, less maintenance, lower manufacturing cost and no messing around on your belly servicing a misbehaving stern thruster. The transom and transom access of the new 2018 R-27 is VERY different from the R-27 with an inboard diesel with stern thruster. The internal area of the transom of the new 2018 R-27 is extremely clean looking and uncluttered compared to that of the R-27 inboard diesel.

The beauty of having a bow & stern thruster is that one hand can be used to control the boat's attitude by using the two closely located toggle switches. Controlling the boat's attitude be it the R-21EC or the new 2018 R-27 with just a bow thruster requires two hands; one on the bow thruster toggle switch and the other hand on the steering wheel (and maybe the odd movement of the throttle lever being needed). However, on a calm day I find when docking with a starboard tie for any of the boats, I will steer/glide in with the bow pointing at the dock side and as the bow approaches the dock I use R-21EC's rudder or R-27/OB motor or rear stern thruster to align the boat's starboard side to be parallel and adjacent to the dock's side.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby baz on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:59 pm

I was at CSR in Des Moines, WA today to checkup on the R-27 having bottom paint applied and to get the boat's name and signage done. I took some 57 photos of the boat outside and inside to keep a check on things that may have been changed by the factory as the R-27 production is still evolving as Ranger Tugs continues making refinements to the overall design.

I noticed a few things different from my last visit which I've detailed below. The referenced Photo album shows the 57 photos I took today..... https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0iGqkRUiGrb911. They should be the first 57 photos in the Album.

Changes... or maybe things I missed before.

1) The V-berth cushion configuration has been redesigned and IMO a big improvement. There are now 5 individual cushions and the center ones are smaller and more easily stowed when not needed.

2) The V-berths table has been redesigned and IMO amebas far more sense and is sturdier without its extension flap. It also sports to coffee cup/mug holders. :D This redesign of the table + cushions means there's no issue with opening the head door. It simply will now stop at the face of the center aft cushion when fully opened. There's a nice privacy curtain that can be drawn across the entrance to the V-berth, as well a complete canvas covering that can be installed around the V-Berth's entrance way from the cabin.

3) The VHF radio is not Garmin as I thought before; it's a Standard Horizon-Explorer model.

4) The propane alert meter has been moved from the center counter behind the Nav seat to aft of the stove and up adjacent to the rear cabin wall alongside the oven's opening handle.

5) All cockpit lockers are now piston assisted, and work very well.

6) The two propane tanks are now the smaller size and are the same as each other. Before, one was much larger than the other.

7) I had to have the boat's name placed on the Transom per USCG COD requirements. I was unaware of this and maybe it's a new requirement.

8) The cabin bunk/berth that is configured with dinette table lowered and helm seat swung around looks to me to be a full Twin size and fits my 5'-11" easily.

9) The tie-bar steering for the kicker motor appears to me to have been redesigned and looks nicer and its bar protected with a plastic shrouding.

10) The 4 batteries are screwed down to a starboard base plate and can be slid from their near hidden placement to gain access. There's one battery up toward the transom and partially exposed while the other three are more toward the cabin in port side locker with just one fully exposed. Sliding the aft battery out shouldn't present a problem, but sliding the other three batteries will take a fair amount of effort presumably.

11) I found it very easy to climb up into the cockpit via the deployed swim ladder with the R-27 on its trailer.

12) All of the lower cabinets in the cabin have floor boards with finger holes. Thus the floor boards can be lifted out easily allowing access to things below and potentially more storage areas. Niceee. :D

13) I noted the bilge pump model under the V-berth's entrance step has been changed and re-oriented.

14) I hadn't noticed earlier that on the transom above its fold down dual seat has a round hatch over to port side. Opening this hatch allows access to the 120v receptical used for the Kenyan electric grill. This is nice for having using 120v appliances in and around the cockpit. Avoids having to run an extension cord into the cabin with door open.

15) The huge size of the center cockpit locker continues to amaze me.... :D

16) The Webasto diesel fuel filler now has a sticker nearby that clearly states that diesel is to be pumped vs. gasoline for the main engine fuel tank filler which is located on the transom's starboard corner on the gunnel. The filler cap has its own built-in handle and does not required a special tool to open it.

While at the paint shop I ensured they knew to paint all the Yamaha F300 outboard's metal that sits below the water line; this includes the bullet that partially remains in the water when fully raised. They had been unaware of this requirement of mine, so I'm glad I mentioned it to CSR person.

Our R-27 is looking real good.... :D
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby baz on Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:55 pm

Item #17..... :)

17) The shower head is now a brushed-steel fancy looking vertical tube-like thingy that presumable provides a rain shower spray. :o At first I thought it to be some kind of new tooth brushing device. :lol:
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby ixlr8 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:14 pm

baz wrote:Item #17..... :)

17) The shower head is now a brushed-steel fancy looking vertical tube-like thingy that presumable provides a rain shower spray. :o At first I thought it to be some kind of new tooth brushing device. :lol:

Yea, and you need to close the curtain before you hang the shower head on its mount and the curtain is in the way of seeing the shower head mount while you are trying to put the the shower head in place. That will take a little practice to get right. I wish they did something different with the mount there.
Jim
ixlr8

Postby baz on Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:38 pm

Hmmmm.... I'll check the mount wrt to the closed curtain. I sure missed that.... thanks. :)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby johnniethek on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:20 pm

I will be trading in my R-21 EC, the Red Ranger, to get the new R-27 2018, which I will name the Salish Searcher.

Am very excited about this upgrade, and can't wait for them to start building it. Because of the huge demand for this boat (and the R-23) delivery won't occur until next May. That will give me lots of time to figure out how to pay for it. :lol:

I hope anyone who has more info on this boat will share it here. Can't learn enough about it...and hope I can take one for a spin at the Ranger Rendezvous next month.

JtheK
johnniethek

City: Enumclaw
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Red Ranger
MMSI Number: 338092124

Postby ixlr8 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:45 pm

johnniethek wrote:Am very excited about this upgrade, and can't wait for them to start building it. Because of the huge demand for this boat (and the R-23) delivery won't occur until next May. That will give me lots of time to figure out how to pay for it. :lol:

I hope anyone who has more info on this boat will share it here. Can't learn enough about it...and hope I can take one for a spin at the Ranger Rendezvous next month.

JtheK

Having taken both the 23 and 27 OB's out for a spin.... I think you will be impressed with either and will be tempted to write a deposit check as soon as you can. The 27 is a drive by wire throttle/shift so don't be surprised if there is a very slight delay between throttle movement and engine response. You may not notice it if you are not looking for it, it is so slight. There are a few folks here who have spent enough time with the 27 to answer most any question you might have, so ask away.
Jim
ixlr8

Postby baz on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:31 pm

johnniethek wrote:I will be trading in my R-21 EC, the Red Ranger, to get the new R-27 2018, which I will name the Salish Searcher.

Am very excited about this upgrade, and can't wait for them to start building it. Because of the huge demand for this boat (and the R-23) delivery won't occur until next May. That will give me lots of time to figure out how to pay for it. :lol:

JtheK

Congratulations.... I can say with utmost certainty you will really like the new R-27. RT has done a marvelous job with it.

I will be at the Roche Harbor meeting with our new 2018 R-27/OB and will gladly give you a ride unless you first get a ride on one of the RT factory R-27/OB boats which I'm sure will be there.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

PreviousNext

Return to Chat