Options for roof mounted tender...Saturn Kaboat ??

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Options for roof mounted tender...Saturn Kaboat ??

Postby Sealeggs on Wed May 17, 2017 11:26 pm

Watching the chat regarding tenders/dingys for 25 SC
Has anyone used a 14 ' saturn kaboat on a 25SC, specifically on roof with solar panel??? Type mounts?? Would also appreciate other options. Weaver davits are made right here in coeur d'alene so aware of those but afraid will make aft deck feel closed in. Also need something my wife and i can get on and off roof
Sealeggs

City: Dalton Gardens
State/Province: ID
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: SeaLeggs

Re: Options for roof mounted tender...Saturn Kaboat ??

Postby scross on Thu May 18, 2017 12:08 am

I assume you have a single solar panel since with dual panels there isn't space on the roof for much else.
Yes, having the dinghy up vertical on davits on the swim platform does close view from the cockpit a bit. In the mornings we actually like the extra privacy if the dinghy blocking folks seeing in through the rear cabin door. But you only need the dinghy up when underway or in a very tight slip. The rest of the time, when at mooring, at anchor or a slip with no one right behind you, you can drop the dinghy down off vertical into the water and it's out of sight from the cockpit, isn't blocking the swim platform and it's ready to use.
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Non-Ranger Model: 1987 Addictor 190
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Postby Sealeggs on Thu May 18, 2017 12:35 am

Do you use the wraver davit system? What size/typetender??
Sealeggs

Postby Todd on Thu May 18, 2017 5:58 am

I put my Portland Pudgy on the roof of my 29. Looked really out of proportion so mounted it on swim platform like everyone else
Todd

City: Clinton Corners
State/Province: NY
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Coventina

Postby Irish Mist on Thu May 18, 2017 10:23 am

Was just reading an unfortunate story about a couple who's boat caught fire. It was a bigger boat and the dink was on the roof . It was an engine room fire and they where unable to get the dink down off the roof and had to jump overboard.. Luckly they where in a channel and not far from shore.. But my point is had the dink been under tow they would have been able to use it instead of watching it burn with the boat..Also if there is a man overboard situation while under way it is easy to grab the dingy as it passes by.. Both these are rare happenings but food for thought
Irish Mist

City: victoria
State/Province: BC

Postby scross on Thu May 18, 2017 11:04 am

Sealeggs,
We have an 8'6" wood floor inflatable dinghy.
We have the standard weaver davits mounted on the aft edge of the swim platform. These connect to the lower tube of the dinghy. The swim platform davits look like this
https://www.weaverindustries.com/index. ... nghies.htm

Two steel standoff brackets attach to the top tube of the dinghy and connect to clips mounted on the transom. These steel arms hold the dinghy in an upright position while underway.
https://www.weaverindustries.com/index. ... nd-off.htm

With those two upper steel arms removed, the dinghy drops down to the water. The davits still are connected and hold the dinghy in place up against the swim platform. I added a extra line from the dinghy that clips on to the swim platform as insurance should the dinghy somehow come off the davits when in the water.
https://www.weaverindustries.com/images ... 0-1_28.jpg
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
State/Province: OR
Non-Ranger Model: 1987 Addictor 190
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Postby Red Raven on Thu May 18, 2017 11:23 am

I can't stress enough how much we like the dinghy on the swim platform with the weaver davits. We can drop it and go in minutes . The clips make it stable for boarding and when returning. My wife especially likes that aspect. When at anchorage or even often at the dock we often drop it down to open things up and just have it ready to go. It does provide a bit of privacy as well when wanted.

The only negative is visibility and I find that minor. Underway at a fast cruise this isn't a problem as the boat squats a bit with bow up. Looking back through the door looks right over the top of the dinghy. While in tight quarters I usually have someone back there watching but once you get used to the boat you learn where the stern and dinghy is.

In my view it's like have a car in an attached garage vs. parking blocks down the street. We have an inflatable kayak on the roof that is much more trouble to drop and raise. It doesn't come down near as often.

Last week on our trip to Victoria we went to Butchart Gardens by boat. They require a stern tie when using their bouys and we only had a couple hours to visit the gardens. With the dink on the stern it took no more than 10 minutes to drop the dinghy secure the stern and head off to the park. Same time in reverse coming back. I think it would have been a pain to have to get a boat off the roof when on a tight schedule.

Curt
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby Sealeggs on Thu May 18, 2017 10:46 pm

Thank you everyone
Sealeggs

Postby Agua viva on Sun May 28, 2017 8:22 pm

We just took delivery of our R23 (!!!) this weekend and are looking for dinghy options - the Saturn Kaboat looks like it will work for us. With the outboard, the prospect of extended davits etc is a bit daunting, so I'd like to find a roof mount option. The 14' Kaboat is 57 lbs, and should fit on the roof next to the solar panel (but I still need to measure it up). It may hang over a bit, but given that we're a family of 3, I would definitely lean toward the 14', as the 12' will be restrictive.

If we end up going in that direction, I'll post photos.
Agua viva

City: Vancouver
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Agua-Viva

Postby NorthernFocus on Sun May 28, 2017 9:16 pm

We use a 13ft saturn "kayak" and "store" it on the roof of our 25 Classic. It's on the roof when we trailer, for the first few hours after launch, and then it goes back up there when we pull anchor and head for the dock. When cruising at hull speed we put it on the swim step. When fishing, shrimping, etc. we tow it astern. If we're going to run at speed we haul it into the cockpit and let it stick out aft.

One reason it's only on the roof at start and end of trip is because it is a bit of a chore to get it up there and lashed down. It requires getting up there which I'm not fond of doing with the cabin top nearly always wet etc. It only weighs 50-60lbs but they are darned awkward pounds to handle. Particularly if the wind is blowing. We boat with a dog plus do a lot of hiking, beach combing, etc. so easy access is a must. That's why it spends most of its time on the step. Not sure about the kaboat but the kayak isn't nearly as wide as typical RIBs etc. It does not obstruct view from the cockpit. I suspect when viewed from another boat it looks rather goofy sticking out on either side but I can live with that for the convenience.

Don't under estimate the hassle factor of storing on the roof. It's just hard enough to deter one from casually launching/retrieving at a whim.
Dan

Never confuse confidence for competence.
NorthernFocus

City: Anchorage
State/Province: AK
Vessel Name: Divine Focus

Postby Agua viva on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:48 am

NorthernFocus wrote:We use a 13ft saturn "kayak" and "store" it on the roof of our 25 Classic..

You wouldn't happen to have any photos of your 13' on the roof, would you? We're trying to imagine whether the disproportional lines will taunt us over time, or whether we'll settle in and be OK with it.

Thank you
Agua viva

Postby Sealeggs on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:57 am

Sorry didnt go that direction
Sealeggs

Postby NorthernFocus on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:57 pm

Afraid I don't have any photos of the boat with kayak on top. I'm usually sitting in the kayak when I take shots of the boat :D Though I don't have a photo do show you, I will say that it looks rather awkward on top of our R25. Our model has the original mast design with the wire stays which force us to carry the kayak so far aft that nearly half its length hangs over the cockpit. I had to build a rack to raise it high enough to clear the canopy.

Regarding the proportion relative to a 23, we also carried the same kayak on the roof of a C-Dory 22 and it looked fine IMO. The boat is self bailing so we carry it right side up which tends to look better. More importantly it's easier to load/unload that way plus you can carry other stuff in it if needed/desired.
Dan

Never confuse confidence for competence.
NorthernFocus

City: Anchorage
State/Province: AK
Vessel Name: Divine Focus

Postby Craig on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:00 am

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170607/e22bdf681d88b5a0ed91975b2f57802a.jpg[/img]

We have the Ollson davit system with standoffs so as not to lose any any swim step access. Deploys/ retrieves quickly and I no longer have to carry a 100lbs of motor on and off the rail to the dingy. Highly recommend giving it a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Craig

City: Woodinville
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: Windermere

Postby Agua viva on Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:30 pm

Thanks for the comments re: awkward little tug with large thing on the roof - aesthetics. Decided to take the plunge and ordered the 14' Saturn Kaboat, so be kind when I post photos. At least the red Kaboat will match the bootstripe (we decided to take our cue from the Cutwater and switched it up). I'd best go rest up my foot, as I didn't purchase the 12V pump. Yet...
Agua viva

Next

Return to Chat