Options for roof mounted tender...Saturn Kaboat ??

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Re: Options for roof mounted tender...Saturn Kaboat ??

Postby NorthernFocus on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:54 am

Agua viva wrote:... I'd best go rest up my foot, as I didn't purchase the 12V pump. Yet...

Do yourself a favor and find a local supplier of rafting equipment. You can get a double acting floor/hand pump for $20-30. Inexpensive, fast, and reliable. You might need to take it apart(i.e.screw off the top) and lube the piston at some point. While you're there pick up an extra fitting to attach the pump to the valves on the boat. Attaching said fitting to one of those foam float key chains or similar is also a good idea. Sooner or later you'll be adding air while on the water. It's an awkward operation and those fittings don't float.

The raft store will also have tie-down straps in various lengths to suite your needs.
Dan

Never confuse confidence for competence.
NorthernFocus

City: Anchorage
State/Province: AK
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Divine Focus

Postby Agua viva on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:15 pm

NorthernFocus wrote:
Agua viva wrote:... I'd best go rest up my foot, as I didn't purchase the 12V pump. Yet...

You can get a double acting floor/hand pump for $20-30.

I'm thinking the high pressure 12V version looks rather attractive... :D

The 14' Kaboat arrived today - out of the box, it appears to be quite well-built - we'll take it out for a Father's Day weekend trip and see how it goes. I have adjustable J Rhino Racks arriving on Friday, so if everything arrives as planned, we'll mount it on the roof and I'll take some photos.
Agua viva

City: Vancouver
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Agua-Viva

Postby baz on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:42 pm

Looking forward to the photo shoot. I'm very interested in your experience using, operating and stowing the 14' Kaboat.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB NW Edition - IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Postby stwendl on Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:04 pm

I uploaded pictures of a 14ft Saturn inflatable KaBoat to my album.

gallery2.php?g2_itemId=48676

It fits nice up there, with the fake chimney sticking inside the boat to prevent it from slipping sideways. Two straps across and it is secure. Stored upside down to prevent water collection (rain in california?)

To get it up and down just use a strap or line around the boat and roll it sideways down or up
Difference between RVers and Boaters:
RVers move until they reach water, Boaters move until they reach land.
Ranger Tug owners can do both :)
stwendl

City: palo alto
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Cataleya

Postby baz on Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Nice job. Being white it isn't so obvious up there on top. :)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Agua viva on Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:53 pm

I have some photos - can anyone direct me to instructions on how to make a photo album? Nothing in the faq...
Agua viva

Postby baz on Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Agua viva:

Here what Bruce Moore posted earlier on.....

Getting a User Photo Album for your Ranger Tug is easy but it requires submitting a request from within the site structure.

1. Sign on to the site, if you aren't already.

2. Select the User Control Panel link from the upper left corner of any page. Note: On the home page, this link is in your user menu in the upper right.

3. Click the Usergroups tab, then select the radio button next to the User Albums group.
Scroll down, choose "Join selected" in the drop-down menu, and click the Submit button.

Once you do this, an email is automatically sent to the administrator (me). That message will trigger my ability to approve your request, and you'll receive an email indicating your membership in the User Albums group has been activated.

I'll watch for the message, and look forward to seeing your pictures.

Cheers,

Bruce
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby jld on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:34 am

Red Raven wrote:I can't stress enough how much we like the dinghy on the swim platform with the weaver davits. We can drop it and go in minutes . The clips make it stable for boarding and when returning. My wife especially likes that aspect.

Curt

This is interesting comment that I don't think I have heard before. Am I understanding that you can get into the dingy then unclip it from the swim platform?

Jim
jld

City: New Market
State/Province: MD
Non-Ranger Model: WWP15
Vessel Name: Coqui

Postby baz on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:54 am

Yep.... we did this all the time with our Portland Pudgy on the R-25 swim step.

When deploying the Pudgy after it was lowered and swung to the water the Pudgy was left attached to the davits. We then boarded with the Pudgy being extremely stable (important for my wife who has Parkinson's and very bad balance). Once all aboard, we simply leaned the Pudgy toward the swim step so that we could release it from the spring loaded davits. Once cleared from the swim step I carefully removed the protruding Pudgy's male davit connectors and stowed them securely.

When returning Pudgy to the swim step we used the same technique in reverse to first attach the Pudgy to the swim step davits... it all was a very easy thing to do and provided a very stable method for getting into and out of the dinghy.

I see no reason why this same technique cannot be employed for other types of dinghies.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Red Raven on Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi Jim,

It depends on the setup (height of clips and type of dinghy) and weight and number of passengers. With our dinghy setup my wife can climb in with it clipped. I then have her transfer her weight forward and aft to unclip each davit. I then climb in with it un-clipped as I push off. When we arrive back I can usually get one end clipped either prior to my exit or just as I climb out relieving my weight. My wife then shifts to the clipped end and I can the clip the second davit. She then can crawl out with it stable. We have swim platform rails, so that helps her exit as well. With more people it is more a challenge.

Curt
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby captstu on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:34 pm

We have two pull cords on the Weaver Davit rings. We board with it clipped - it is rock solid and you can stand on the gunnels for boarding.

Once we are seated and ready to go, we each grab one pull cord, lean toward the davit and give it a tug.

I generally sail the Walker Bay off the davits - sure makes rigging an easy task.
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV SOLD
captstu

City: Delray Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV (SOLD)

Postby Agua viva on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:12 pm

I don't know if this will work, but here is a link to the photos on Photobucket: http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/Bossa ... /Agua-viva

We used a Rhino 512 J rack, mounted it flush with the edge of the crossbar, and then opened it up to about 170 degrees (so the boat rides just a few inches above the solar panel). We decided to put it on the starboard side, so we have to rotate the antenna down to mount it from the side. Personally, I think it looks fine, and rides well up there without so much as a flicker at 30 mph. We may shift the solar panel over a few inches - still a bit of playing around until we're happy with it.

As we're suffering through Juneuary up here (13C overnight and raining on the weekend!), we didn't launch it - but I'll let you know how easy/difficult that is, once we've given it a test run. Pretty easy to toss it up there when we're at the dock, but of course the test will be when we're on the hook, or with a breeze.

It seems very well built and inflated with a single action pump (included) in about 10 minutes (although it did take us a few false starts until I figured out how to twist the center pin in the valve to engage the backflow valve). So far, very pleased.
Agua viva

Postby baz on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:43 am

What was the size of the box that the Kaboat came in ?

Have you given any thought to having the Kaboat stowed upside down to avoid it collecting water sitting on top ?

Photos were good and sharp looking. The red is very vibrant. :)

Looking at the deflated Kaboat on the dockside in the photo where you started to pump it looks like it may fit on the foredeck flat down and either wrapped around from starboard to port or even folded once over and placed/laid down more so on the forward center part of the foredeck. I guess it could also be installed/stowed in a deflated state on top of the cabin inside a bag.

From the photos, the Kaboat looks quite long and big and with it sitting on top of the cabin the way you have it, it looks kind of enormous and a bit over powering for me to look at.... but no matter, what counts is how easy is it to deploy when out on the water.

If the Kaboat were to be stowed onboard in a deflated state how difficult would you say it would be to inflate it when out on the water away from dockside (I'm thinking if the Kaboat were to be stowed on foredeck in a deflated state before need to be used) ? Could it be laid out crosswise (starboard to port) in the cockpit with it sitting on the hand rails and then being inflated and eventually launched over the side ? .... this could be a possibility, right ?

How long did it take you to complete inflating the Kaboat with the hand pump ?

Were you able to lift and install the Kaboat on top of the cabin by yourself or did you require help ? What is the estimated weight ?

I assume paddles/oars come with the Kaboat.... are they collapsable and in how many sections, and what is the oar's unassembled length ?

Good job, and I must say the Kaboat does look substantial, sturdy with plenty of room..... I do like it, but wondering on how best to carry/stow it on our new 2018 R-27. With the R-27 being longer the Kaboat may not look so enormous sitting on top of the cabin :) .... and maybe a better color IMO might be white or something close to being white.

Any idea how well the Kaboat will hold up to sun and UV over time ? I believe here are some covers offered for the Kaboat... http://alpineboats.com/parts-and-accessories/182-saturn-boat-covers-for-all-inflatable-boats.html

We now need some photos from you showing how well it rides in the water with at least two people onboard. Take some selfies.... :lol:

This KaBoat style is at the top of my short list for sure. I'm likely to go for a 12-footer as I really only need to have it accommodate 2 adults + a small 17 lb dog or 1 adult and two small children or just two children. Also, the 12-feet would fit better on top of the cabin and in addition be lighter for me to manage moving/lifting it about.

Thanks for sharing the photos..... good job. :)
Last edited by baz on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby jagizzi on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:58 pm

Wow!!! Aqua Viva, that has to be one of the best looking boats I have ever seen. Oh wait, I am biased ;-) We take delivery of our Ranger Blue with Red Stripe R23 July 3. Super glad to see that the boat looks so good.

I like the KaBoat mount on the top so will be following yours on this forum.

Nice looking boat!

Jim, Kelli, Jenna and the lab, Abby
Jim and Kelli Gizzi
Next Ten
2018 R23
NWesterly.com
Friday Harbor
jagizzi

City: Battle Ground
Non-Ranger Model: R-23, July 3rd delivery, yippee
Vessel Name: Next Ten

Postby Agua viva on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:36 pm

jagizzi wrote:We take delivery of our Ranger Blue with Red Stripe R23 July 3

Congratulations! That's a fine looking boat you've ordered! :D

We are absolutely loving it - surprisingly roomy, shockingly quiet, and so well-equipped (every weekend, I learn about one more amazing system, or nuance to the Garmin). I'm a sailor in a previous life and have come to the "dark side", which is really not that dark after all (OK, the trips to the gas dock are a bit more painful, but... so pleased to be back on the water!). And don't get me started on the decadence of remote-control autohelm in trolling mode...

I admit I have a bit of davit-envy - nothing like dropping a dinghy off the stern and stepping in - but it's a small price to pay for a roomy cockpit and a quiet ride with the outboard. I'm hoping to trial out the Kaboat launch and recovery on the next run. I'm sure we'll MacGuyver a suitable solution (I'm 5'2" and my husband is 6'2", but we'll be planning for the lowest common denominator when it comes to launch and load systems - i.e., ME).

I'll post our escapades re: launching and sea trial of the Jellyfish (the Kaboat's name) once I'm back in town and have a long weekend on the boat. So far, I think it's a pretty good option for a family of three (and for you, with a lab, going ashore isn't really a choice, but more of a necessity).
Agua viva

PreviousNext

Return to Chat