Options for roof mounted tender...Saturn Kaboat ??

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Re: Options for roof mounted tender...Saturn Kaboat ??

Postby Agua viva on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:46 pm

baz wrote:What was the size of the box that the Kaboat came in ?

Have you given any thought to having the Kaboat stowed upside down to avoid it collecting water sitting on top ?

We now need some photos from you showing how well it rides in the water with at least two people onboard. Take some selfies.... :lol:

Thanks for your comments - I should have taken photos of it in the storage bag. I think the packed specs are on line, but if I remember, I'll take photos of the storage bag next time I'm down on the boat.

We will definitely be exploring the option of upside down vs right side up, but for now, I pulled the drain plug. A moment of bow-up before planing was enough to empty out any rainwater from the weekend. I would be concerned about the seats catching on the roof if I were to slide it upside down on the roof from the stern, but we'll try out a number of different loading and unloading options to see which one works out the best.

It only took about 10 min with a single action pump to fill it (OK, true confessions here - my HUSBAND did all the hard work :oops: ) but we did have a couple of false starts, as I couldn't figure out how to engage the backflow valve (fyi - rotate the inner pin before you fill to engage the flap valve).

The boat weighs 57 lb - we have scoped out a few different loading methods, but haven't tried them out yet. It comes with two-piece oars - not sure of the length. I'm planning to get a (long) kayak paddle. Google youtube videos on the Kaboat - there's some great river adventurers who take them into formidable conditions.

The 27 should dwarf a 14' kaboat - I was just pleased that it doesn't hang over the cabin on the 23'. We may get a Thule box for extended cruising, and want to keep the solar panel exposed, so this seemed to be the best option for us. And oh, I do like vibrant red! :D
Agua viva

City: Vancouver
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Agua-Viva

Postby baz on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:15 pm

Agua viva wrote: I have adjustable J Rhino Racks arriving on Friday, so if everything arrives as planned, we'll mount it on the roof and I'll take some photos.

Can you point me to the "adjustable J Rhino Racks" you ordered for your KaBoat ? Did you also get straps or do they come with the Rino ? Thanks.... :)
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB NW Edition - IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Postby Bruce Moore on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:28 pm

Bruce and Vicki
R-41 Bridge - Hull #4 - Soundtrack - Elliott Bay Marina, Seattle
Bruce Moore

City: Seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Non-Ranger Model: SSBN 658 Mariano G. Vallejo
Vessel Name: Soundtrack
MMSI Number: 368096220

Postby baz on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:54 pm

Thanks Bruce. :) I did previously search for the "adjustable J Rhino Racks" and saw that there are several types.... so wanted to know what actually had been purchased by Aqua viva.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby baz on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:38 pm

Aqua viva:

See this posting that shows how a hoisting davit can be used to raise & lower a cabin roof located dinghy. It's pretty darn snazzy if you ask me. :)

http://www.tugnuts.com/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=27465
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Agua viva on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:15 am

baz wrote:Can you point me to the "adjustable J Rhino Racks" you ordered for your KaBoat ? Did you also get straps or do they come with the Rino ? Thanks.... :)

The rack that I purchased is the Rhino Folding J Style Kayak s512 - they come with 4 straps, but the ones that are normally used to secure the kayak to the rack are too short, so I used the straps that are normally used to secure the ends to the hood and trunk of a car. I'll be playing with the hoist/deployment system over the next month or so.
Last edited by Agua viva on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agua viva

Postby Agua viva on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:19 am

baz wrote:Aqua viva:

See this posting that shows how a hoisting davit can be used to raise & lower a cabin roof located dinghy. It's pretty darn snazzy if you ask me. :)

http://www.tugnuts.com/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=27465

Very cool. Good for hoisting in the husband when he goes in after the Chinook as well :lol: Always good to have a dual purpose..
Agua viva

Postby baz on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:49 am

Agua viva wrote:...snip...Good for hoisting in the husband when he goes in after the Chinook as well :lol: Always good to have a dual purpose..

Now that WAS funny.... :lol: Made my day. :D
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby baz on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm struggling with having the Kaboat inflated and stowed on top of the cabin. vs. having it stowed in its bag and placed inside or even on the transom platform adjacent to the transom door. There are times when I cruise about and will not be needing the use of the Kaboat as well to think about.

Given that it takes around 10 mins to inflate I'm apt to forego having it permanently stowed on top of the cabin. Not having it always inflated and exposed to the elements means I have more options as well as reducing the aging aspects of the inflatable when constantly exposed to the weather and sunshine UV.

I may go with the Rino and have them on top so as to be ready when I know I will need the Kaboat ready and waiting for a specific cruise.

Before making a final decision I will check out how easy it will be to inflate the Kaboat when on the water and this would likely be when stationary at a marina, anchored in a bay or attached to a mooring buoy.

Looking at the space on the 2018 R-27's rear platform I believe the Kaboat's carry bag should fit up against the transom door on starboard side. It can be located there after all are onboard and getting ready to caste off.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby stwendl on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:52 pm

You may have seen the pics in my album with the Saturn Kajak on top. The plan is the make some arms, attached to the bars across the roof. Those arms are below the boat and allow it to be flipped over and then they reach over the side and hold the boat. Then a small winch lowers the boat down to the water. Just have to figure out the mechanics
Difference between RVers and Boaters:
RVers move until they reach water, Boaters move until they reach land.
Ranger Tug owners can do both :)
stwendl

City: palo alto
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Cataleya

Postby baz on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:32 pm

stwendl:

Yes, I've viewed your setup before. I notice you mount the Saturn upside down. Do you have a specific reason for this ? I guess, considering your future deployment method it makes sense as the launch bars for lowering the boat would be attached to the Saturn's hull so when flipped over the boat is right side up.... then it's a matter of sliding the boat down on the bars (much like launching a lifeboat) into the water via a block and tackle setup.

If the Saturn's weight isn't too much I would think that letting the boat fall into the water under its own weight should be AOK so long as there's a line to retrieve the boat alongside. Even if the boat were to land wrong side up flipping right side up shouldn't be too difficult.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby baz on Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:28 pm

One thought about the method for deploying and retrieving the boat would be....

1) The boat, in its upside position, is held in place (its bow pointing forward) by simple straps securing it to the cross bars. No need for Rino brackets or other type brackets.

2) Have a line attached to stern and bow on the boat.

3) For deployment stand on gunwale and release the holding straps and secure them.

4) Tighten/secure the stern line and release the boat's bow line and return to the cockpit with bow line in hand.

4) Keeping the boat's stern line tight and using the boat's bow line slowly pull the boat off the crossbars so that it points down to the water.

5) Now slowly release the boat's stern line to allow the boat to eventually rest in the water.

6) Pull boat alongside to access it.

For the boat's retrieval to the crossbars...

1) Use its stern line to haul the stern up to or near to the cross bars and then secure/tighten it to hold the boat in this position.

2) Now using the boat's bow line and standing on opposite gunwale ease the boat up to the cross bars.

3) Now with the boat laying stern to bow at an angle to the crossbars, push it up onto the cross bars and secure it down with the holding straps.

4) Secure the boat's stern and bow lines for easy access for subsequent deployment.

I think this should work so long as the boat's weight is around 50 to 70 lbs. It's a bit of a struggle I suppose but should get easier after doing this several times. No need for Rino brackets nor any special block and tackle arrangement. If raising the boat's bow as in step 2) above requires more effort than can be handled with a simple line then a 4:1 block and tackle could be employed I suppose.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby baz on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:11 pm

I'm starting to toy with the idea of towing a Kaboat with my new 2018 R-27. However, I'm a bit concerned about the Kaboat being towed and water splashing into it turning it into a sea anchor. :o

Obviously others who have decided to tow their dinghy would have similar concerns and wonder just what techniques they have arrived at to avoid the 'sea anchor' issue ?

The other issue for me to figure out is just how far back should the Kaboat be to make its ride smooth. Also, it is likely this distance from transom to the Kaboat would be a function of the boat's speed, and if so, then varying speed would mean adjusting the distance.

My approach for docking would be at slow speed prior to docking, pull in the towed Kaboat and secure it alongside the boat side opposite to the docking side.

Thanks.... :)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Cutwater28GG on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:30 pm

I just had my Takacat 260 delivered. it packs up into 2 bags that fit in the berth under the table on the cutwater no problem. its amazingly light
In the two bags its super easy to handle and carry. far easier than i was expecting. it has me thinking of not installing it on the weaver davits. Although I say that, the idea of just rocking up and dropping the boat into the water is very appealing.

I will try and take some video this weekend of it in action as so far I have been super impressed in its stability and ease at which it goes through the water as a catamaran hull. with an open transom it also makes a very interesting option for towing as there is now risk of filling it with water under tow
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby ALICE J on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:06 pm

I sometimes tow my Avon RIB 310 and find short tow line works well. One of the reasons I decided to tow the dinghy was that is did act as a drogue and kept the stern into the waves in a following sea. I found it very helpful coming through Whale Cay passage on the north side which is notorious for breaking seas. It appeared safe to go, several boats going both ways. As I reached the north side heading for Green Turtle, I was startled to see white water all the way across with only a few breaks. I watched and timed the seas, worked the throttle and was glad to be towing the dinghy which kept the stern square to the waves. I watched some close waves break on both sides as I throttled back and let them pass. When I got into a marina I noticed that the dinghy was half full of water. So I can only speculate as to the waves breaking into the dinghy, but it did keep the stern square to the waves. I tow with two separate lines, one to the bridle, and one to the bow eye, then both tied to two separate cleats about equal tension. These lines are floating, but not solid polypro as it is too slippery and will not hold knots well. I got it a West Marine as a "tow line"
ALICE J

City: WEST PALM BEACH
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: ALICE J
MMSI Number: NONEHERES

PreviousNext

Return to Chat