Electric Motor for Dinghy

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Electric Motor for Dinghy

Postby olygirl on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:59 am

I am new to the world of electric motors and need some help. Looking for an electric motor with an integral battery as I am trying to avoid using an additional battery that I will have to haul in and out of the dinghy. Have looked at the Torqeedo, however, am wondering if there is a less expensive alternative...? Any an all suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks!
olygirl

City: Bellingham
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Cool Mint

Re: Electric Motor for Dinghy

Postby knotflying on Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:30 am

Torqeedo is the only one I know of with the built in battery.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby Les Blackwell on Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:22 pm

I recently did the research that you are probably doing right now--seeking a light weight quiet outboard motor. Not much to choose from in the electrical field. I saw an electric outboard at the Seattle Boat show made locally but the battery was separate and had to be in the dinghy. The Torqeedo was the only one I found with the battery integral to the unit. Being in my mid eighties I was also looking for less weight and the three pieces of the Torqeedo were acceptable to me.

I did buy the Torqeedo 1003 from West Machine and it was on sale at about $200 off. But I was presently surprised when I got in the mail about $220 WM certificates I could use for more gear. Also, either West Marine or the Torqeedo company sent me a spare parts kit for free. But I agree with you it is an expensive outboard.

On the other hand it is working well for my wife and me on the RT inflatable dinghy. A friend of mine calls it "the Stealth Dinghy". It is quiet...a low purr. I've only used a few times--I'll have more to report later this fall.
Les Blackwell

Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: adagio

Postby baz on Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:45 pm

Just make sure to always bring the dinghy lines on board when you cast off. I had an occasion when a friend cast me off and I wasn't paying attention and the friend drop the bow line in the water. About 100-feet later my Torqeedo stopped and nighttime was falling all around me. I discovered the line was wrapped around the Torqeedo's prop. I could reach down far enough but because the line was from the bow and very tight I could not raise the shaft up to get at the prop. I then resorted to oars and during the oar assembly the oar locks fell into the drink :evil: .... I was mighty mad and had to paddle to safety.

Just make sure all the lines are retrieved before setting off, especially the bow line.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB NW Edition - IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Postby knotflying on Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:10 pm

Or go boating with a different friend! :lol:
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

Postby boaterjoe on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:39 pm

The Torquedo is the very best electric propulsion for your dinghy. You won't go wrong. The battery lasts a long time (over the winter) is easy to recharge, and it pushes the average dinghy along nicely. If you cruise a lot and anchor you may wish to consider buying an additional battery, but ours lasts 2 hours + at max speed, about 3+ knts.
you wont' regret it. Call Defender for the best price. They always have a sale on them in may each spring.
Flying Turtle
C-28
boaterjoe

City: Bainbridge Island
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Flying Turtle

Postby Cutwater28GG on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:00 pm

there was a Chinese company at the seattle boat show this year offering an alternative to the torqueedo for considerably less money. for the life of me I cant remember the name though so thats about as useful as a chocolate teapot sorry.
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby HappyPlace on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:43 pm

I will have to agree with boaterjoe, in that the Torqeedo is exceptional. The battery life is outstanding and the operation is simple. Turn the throttle one way for forward and the other for reverse. No pulling starter cords, dealing with chokes and extras fuels. The motor comes apart into three separate pieces. Tiller arm, battery and shaft. Yes it was rather expensive, but well worth the investment in my opinion! We utilize an AB 9.5 alumina dinghy that is 9.5' long, with aluminum bottom. Typically it is the First Mate, Roscoe the mascot and I running to shore or simply exploring shallow areas, running at half speed. This thing will run hours in this environment. One of the best boating items I have ever purchased!

Just my two cents,

Al Sr.
Al Sr., Ann Marie & Roscoe

Happy Place
2014 Ranger R31 CB
HappyPlace

City: Lancaster
State/Province: PA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Happy Place

Postby 2Troopers on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:49 pm

I'm with everyone else. The Torqeedo is the way to go. Super happy with ours.
Brian & Sheila
Crow & Eagle - Seattle, WA
2Troopers

City: Seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Crow & Eagle

Postby knotflying on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:26 am

As aside I have a picture of myself and Rich from Roam towing a 30 foot Sea Ray with our dingy and a Torqeedo for power. I sent the picture to Torqeedo and they were very appreciative.
knotflying

Postby baz on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:49 am

I used the Torqeedo Travel 1003L (28" long shaft) for my Portland Pudgy. The amount of thrust the 1003L produced resulted in a severe bending moment placed on the Pudgy's transom. So much so that at first I thought it might just bend and break the transom. The Pudgy's transom had a metal plate that supposedly gave more strength to deal with this, but nonetheless I saw it as a potential problem. I added a strong L-shape bar to the top edge of the transom to help in resisting the bending moment on the transom.

My point here is that the Torqeedo (the 1003L in my case) has a fair amount of thrust.

The only issue I had with the Torqeedo at first was the C-brackets being too small, and some nylon plates holding the Tiller arm mechanism. Both of these issues were resolved by Torqeedo (service_usa@torqeedo.com) after I chatted with them. They sent (free of charge) new nylon plates and larger C-brackets with instructions on how to install etc. Their customer service was excellent.

The other issue I had with the Torqeedo was when tooling around using in the Cape Sante marina in Anacortes. The time I was there weeds were floating up toward the water's surface everywhere. I didn't notice this at first, but while underway in the dinghy the Torqeedo eventually kind of died and I couldn't make headway. Upon examining the Torqeedo and looking down at the prop I saw that weeds were tightly wound around the prop. I'm unsure whether this same issue would have happen with a gasoline powered motor as it quite likely would have more RPM and more prop torque to cut the weeds away. This Torqeedo issue may well be that it's prop isn't metal whereas the gasoline motor's prop is typically metal and likely will cut away encroaching weeds. None the less, I came away with the impression that weeds can severely clog up the Torqeedo prop if care not taken.

The price I paid for my Torqeedo Travel 1003L back in 2010 was $200 more than what Defender is selling this same Torqeedo for today, but the HAZMAT fee has increased. ;) The lack of a Torqeedo price increase over 7 years and along with the price today being lower as well is impressive IMO.

This was the person I spoke with at Torqeedo...

Sven Kirchhoff
Service & Quality Manager
Torqeedo Inc.
171 Erick Street, Unit A-1
Crystal Lake, IL 60014 USA
phone: 1-815-444-8806 ext.303
fax: 1-815-444-8807
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby olygirl on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:34 am

Wow, thank you everyone for your insights into an electric motor. One more question for you...is there a way to secure the Torqeedo to the transom of a dinghy? Would hate to spend the money to get one only to have someone walk away with it!
olygirl

Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Cool Mint

Postby baz on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:14 am

olygirl:

Very good question...

Securing the Torqeedo is going to be a challenge for anyone IMO. This was a concern of mine also and my approach was to never leave it unattended as best I could.

The tiller arm does detach easily and is very light. So the tiller arm could be removed I guess when leaving the dock to go off somewhere I guess. However, that really leaves the rest of the motor for someone to steal, especially the battery.

One method would be to wrap a bicycle security cable thru the battery handle and then somehow around the C-brackets to secure the whole motor.

I never have come up with a fool proof method for securing the Torqeedo motor without having to modify the transom in some way.

Maybe others here have a solution to this.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby HappyPlace on Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:52 am

olygirl:

Since the motor can be taken apart into three sections; battery, tiller, shaft......making it very manageable to handle, I remove it from the dinghy when leaving it unattended and store it on the boat. I put the shaft and tiller inside a locked cockpit compartment and the battery inside the cabin. Out of sight, out of mind for thieves!

Al Sr.
Al Sr., Ann Marie & Roscoe

Happy Place
2014 Ranger R31 CB
HappyPlace

City: Lancaster
State/Province: PA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Happy Place

Postby Scuba Too on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:44 am

I was checking on this and it appears that there's a new Torqeedo Travel 1003C (note the "C") that has significantly longer run time and range (1 hour at FT as compared to 35 minutes). The weight didn't change so the battery technology has improved. Of course it's $400 more ($2,399 list). Defender has them at stock with a good discount.
Scuba Too

City: Trabuco Canyon
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Blue Honu
MMSI Number: 367783950

Next

Return to Chat