Electric Motor for Dinghy

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Re: Electric Motor for Dinghy

Postby baz on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:59 am

Yes, it's pricier because the battery has more aH. This battery has been available for at least 6 years. The price diff between the older battery and this greater capacity one is around $300 which makes the C model more expensive. I'm confused as to why Torqeedo introduce the C model as any one with a non-C model can buy the bigger capacity battery as the batteries are compatible.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB NW Edition - IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Postby Todd2 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:56 pm

I got the Torqeedo 1000CS - high capacity battery, short shaft model (with a 2nd high capacity battery - ouch!) to push the RT 260 (8') dinghy. Under perfect conditions, it'll top out at 5 MPH (one person in the front seat location, glass smooth protected water), but it'll suck the battery down pretty quickly - hence, I carry the extra battery. 4+ MPH is easily maintained. It gets exponentially better range at half throttle and below, but you better not be in a big hurry. The short shaft is PLENTY long enough for the Ranger dingy model. I always secure the extra battery with a cord to a D-ring in the dingy while underway, just in case it goes over :shock:.

Overall, it does what I need it to do (act as my tender), and do some light exploring/sight seeing (which I really enjoy). You won't be able to run around all day at speed in it, like a gasoline motor may allow you to do (it lacks both high speed, and range at speed). So the electric still has it's limitations (like 11 hour recharge times, from dead flat, with an 110 AC outlet). But it's components are lightweight, easily stored, and don't require an additional fuel source (and associated problems). Also, parts are available in the US from Torqeedo - unlike most Chinese sourced motors.

Security is still a concern for me. The orange C-clamp handles can be locked together with a short (made up) cable and lock - preventing them from being rotated far enough to get the motor off the transom. The batteries can be cabled through their handles and secured to a D-ring. A similar plastic coated cable loop could be made up to go around the shaft (tight enough so it cannot slip over the top, or the motor underwater, or interfere with the prop) to run a cable through it and lock the other end to a davit attachment. I just leave the tiller handle hooked up. However, the transom mount handles are plastic and can be broken free; and D-rings can easily be cut off the boat. Even the davit attachment can be cut off (or unbolted). So if someone wants it bad enough, they're still going to get it.

BTW - bring both oars with you! I sheared the prop pin the second time out and it took me hours, fighting a strong wind, to row back with one oar.............in the dark :oops:.

Hope this gives you a little more insight to help you make the right decision for your intended use.

Todd
Todd2

City: Houston
State/Province: TX
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27

Postby baz on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:30 pm

olygirl wrote:Wow, thank you everyone for your insights into an electric motor. One more question for you...is there a way to secure the Torqeedo to the transom of a dinghy? Would hate to spend the money to get one only to have someone walk away with it!

This may give you an idea for securing your Torqeedo. :lol: (Seriously ;) )....

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0i55Z2WMJubdC
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Navigator's Son on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:53 pm

olygirl wrote:Wow, thank you everyone for your insights into an electric motor. One more question for you...is there a way to secure the Torqeedo to the transom of a dinghy? Would hate to spend the money to get one only to have someone walk away with it!

I have no familiarity with the Torqeedo, how it breaks down, etc.

If you just want a simple theft deterent over a typical cable which can readily be clipped with bolt cutters, this deadbolt/bar system provides a little more protection.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Seasense-Out ... Ncapji8GRU

But as posted earlier - the really determined thief is going to get what they want - this is merely a slightly higher level of protection for the quick grab and dash thief
Robert Kondakjian
NAVIGATOR'S SON
2017 R-25SC
Snohomish, WA
Port of Everett
Navigator's Son

City: Snohomish
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Navigator's Son

Postby JeffE on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:30 pm

We've had a Torqeedo 1003 for a couple of years. It was totally reliable and quite adequate until we spent the summer in SE Alaska. It spent lots of time outside in the rain, and the electrical connectors corroded. Now it just gives an error and won't run.

There aren't very many service centers for it, although there's one in Seattle. They've had it several weeks, and i hope to get it back in a couple of weeks.

They're great when they work.

If you get one, don't leave it in the rain!

Jeff
JeffE

City: Seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Sequel

Postby Seaquel on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:14 am

Sounds like many positive experiences with the Torquedo. With advances in battery technology, not surprised that a new model nearly doubles the run time. The question of recharging has not been addressed, and for those who do not typically stay at marinas but prefer remote anchorages and would rely on the alternator when running the boat, or perhaps the solar panel when on the hook, is the Torquedo practical?

For perspective, we cruise 40 to 60 days/year, most nights on anchor, and I don't ever bring the shore power cord along as it would not be used. I would not change my approach to gunkholing to accommodate the charging needs of the Torquedo, but if charging could be handled by an hour or two of running the engine cruising to our next remote cove and/or using the solar panel, the advantages of eliminating a gas can on board, along with less weight, stowability, and quiet operation would be very appealing!

-Mark
Mark & Peggy Leopold
Seaquel - 2013 R27 "Classic"
Volvo D3 200HP
Previous power boats:
- Sea Ray Sundancer 25, Bayliner Motoryacht 38, Bayliner Ciera 21
Current sailboats:
- Gig Harbor Mellonseed 17, Laser Sailboat 14, Walker Bay RID275
Seaquel

City: Anacortes
Non-Ranger Model: Ranger RIB260, SeaEagle RazorLite 393RL, Tower SUP
Vessel Name: Seaquel
MMSI Number: 367999120

Postby baz on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:27 am

Mark: Recharging the battery from a low charge state will take around 11 to 12 hrs. When you anchor how far away from the shoreline are you typically ? For your 2 hrs gunkholing the battery would hardly charge up. If you had a second battery things might be better. No matter, if you use the battery sparingly by keeping your dinghy speed low the battery would last a lot longer. You do have oars, right ?

I have no idea how long the solar charging accessory takes to charge up the battery.... but if you see that as an option then suggest you call Torqeedo Tech Help to get and idea about solar charging the battery.

The bigger and more expensive battery supposedly doubles the time for the battery to reach zero.
Last edited by baz on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby knotflying on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:06 am

I carry the 110V charger on the boat and I also made up a plug that goes into a 12V outlet and then directly into the battery. While anchoring I plug the 12v in after use to top it off. What is interesting is that the battery itself puts out 34 volts. If you have ever taken one apart there is a series of lithium batteries and a motherboard. I can only assume that for a 12V charge to charge up to 34 volts the motherboard must isolate each battery somehow and allow for individual charges.
Anyway, I am not sure if charging via direct 12V or the 110V charger is more efficient. If cruising one could always turn on their inverter and plug in the 110V and start charging that way. I see they make a high output charger that will charge empty to full in 5 hours.

With owning a Torqeedo my observation is it is great for ease of handling, ease of storage, no gas and good power for pushing a dingy. The offset is limited time and distance and having to recharge at a slow rate. Having a spare battery is a plus, but pretty expensive at a 6 to 8 hundred dollar range, depending on wattage.
The data on the tiller really helps with managing your speed and time so that is a plus.

If weight is not an issue and you want to avoid gas on board there is always the Lehr propane motor.

Boating is always a compromise. Just pick your poison and live with it.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby aussie on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:48 am

All those hassles with motors we have things called oars here in Western Australia they power our dinghy's with a little self effort and keeps us fit at the same time :)
just my POV
Cheers
Peter B
aussie

City: Perth Western Australia
Non-Ranger Model: a Hero Red R27
Vessel Name: Blu Tug

Postby Seaquel on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:26 am

Peter B,

Couldn't agree more about using oars and rowing. I'm considering the eventual purchase of the Torquedo because:
1. Need to take dog ashore, sometimes at inopportune hours, and certain anchorages can be a long way out, or against a strong current or wind. Also when we have some of our 5 kids/6 grandkids with us, I need to more quickly be able to "ferry" crew back and forth to shore quickly in multiple trips.
2. The above are the exceptions, not the rule. Currently, I find myself rarely using my Yamaha 2.5 hp OB, which means I'm carrying heavy, bulky cargo on the aft rail which puts weight in the worst place and also impedes the view when lounging in the cockpit.
3. If I don't use the gas outboard much, I risk using aging fuel and clogging the injectors, etc. is the maintainence worth it relative to how little I use it? Hence my interest in the Torquedo.
4. Why do I use the Yamaha OB so little? We love to use oars and paddles of all sorts! We carry a kayak and a SUP board, and use them each more than we do the motor on the dinghy.
5. We actually interchange between two different dinghys: A) the "Ranger Tug RIB" that typically comes with the Tug (as ours did); B) Walker Bay w/flotation collars. The WB has "real" oars (wood, full size) and combined with a traditional strake hull it rows, glides, and tracks well. It is a pleasure to row compared to RIBs, and especially soft-bottom dinghys. We also carry the full sail kit, and thus far this season I've put more hours sailing the dinghy than motoring it!
6. Lastly, I am a slide-seat rower, as a hobby at home on a lake when not on the Tug. I also carry a strap-on rowing rig that converts my SUP board into a slide-seat rowing "scull" (also carry the long, graphite oars, or sculls). Yes, my "cave" is full of all sorts of rowing/kayaking/sailing accessories!

With these multitude of on-water options and activities it is easy to see why my dinghy motor gets little use! Especially because I love the opportunity to get exercise off the boat, and to see nature more closely at low speed. But given the occasional need to ferry dog/kids/grandkids, I still need the option for propulsion even if the usage would be limited, which may be a good thing given the challenge to recharge absent 110v hook-ups!

-Mark
Mark & Peggy Leopold
Volvo D3 200HP
Previous power boats:
Current sailboats:
Seaquel

Postby baz on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:44 am

Mark: Don't get too focussed on the Torqeedo. Step back and breath.... :) The Torqeedo is very expensive to begin with and the battery under normal use will not last much longer than around 6 yrs. It's a lithium battery and eventually will lose its ability to charge as well as it does when new and pristine.... much like batteries in the laptops these days. A new replacement battery will cost $700.

Consider other less expensive electric motors that quite likely will need an external 12v battery and that offer some 35 to 55 lb thrust. Some of these type motors cost a fraction of the Torqeedo (as little as $200), their batteries cost less than $100 and probably weigh 1/2 the weight of the Torqeedo.

The Torqeedo has some fancy electronics, GPS, battery level indicator, speed and so on that from what you've posted you really do not need.

I would advise you plan and review your dinghy motor needs carefully before spending some $2000 for the Torqeedo.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Seaquel on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:12 am

Barry,

Sound advice! I am certainly in no hurry to change from my current set-up. Just dreaming about what may make sense now that we have established a routine on Seaquel that involves far less use of OB propulsion than I imagined, largely due to how exceptionally well the R27 stows all my toys with very easy deployment.

When we purchased Seaquel three years ago, we almost opted for the Yamaha 6hp OB, and for our needs I am glad we didn't. For those who take extended excursions by dinghy, even island-hopping, I can see the value of a larger OB motor. But now I'm realizing that even further "down-sizing" in propulsion could make sense given that our longer excursions are human-powered. The Torquedo is a slick, albeit expensive alternative to consider, but so would other electric trolling motors as you correctly point out.

Any reports from users of other electric options would be most welcome, including routine for recharging the external battery without benefit of 110v hook-up.

-Mark
Mark & Peggy Leopold
Volvo D3 200HP
Previous power boats:
Current sailboats:
Seaquel

Postby knotflying on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:42 am

baz wrote:Consider other less expensive electric motors that quite likely will need an external 12v battery and that offer some 35 to 55 lb thrust. Some of these type motors cost a fraction of the Torqeedo (as little as $200), their batteries cost less than $100 and probably weigh 1/2 the weight of the Torqeedo.
I would advise you plan and review your dinghy motor needs carefully before spending some $2000 for the Torqeedo.

Barry,
A battery half the weight of a Toqeedo? I always thought all those motors required a deep cycle 12V battery. What are you looking at with those specs. I would be interested in taking a look at one.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby baz on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:57 am

Mark:

I'm considering the freshwater/saltwater Venum Watersnake Electric motor. It weighs 15 lbs and the Watersnake model line provides from 34 to 110 lbs of thrust. I'm interested in the Venum for my Sea Eagle 385ft FastTrack inflatable Kayak. The Watersnake does require an external 12v battery. When tired of paddling it will be nice to have a little motor such as the Watersnake to simply tool around in, and I have to believe it's awfully quiet when running. Cost for this should be around $250 for a new motor & 12v battery.

There's also a smaller and less expensive Watersnake model that cost $129 with a 24 lb thrust and weighs just 7 lbs.

Another option is the Minn Kota Endura 30 that cost around $149 with 30 lb thrust but it's only for fresh water.
Last edited by baz on Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby baz on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:59 am

knotflying wrote:
baz wrote:Consider other less expensive electric motors that quite likely will need an external 12v battery and that offer some 35 to 55 lb thrust. Some of these type motors cost a fraction of the Torqeedo (as little as $200), their batteries cost less than $100 and probably weigh 1/2 the weight of the Torqeedo.

Barry,
A battery half the weight of a Toqeedo? I always thought all those motors required a deep cycle 12V battery. What are you looking at with those specs. I would be interested in taking a look at one.

Mike I meant to say, the small electric motors such as the Watersnake products are 1/2 the weight of the Torqeedo. The 12v battery of course adds further weight to the combo by as much as at least 60 lbs presumably, although you can get some that weigh around 35 lbs.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz