Consequential Loss Insurace Coverage

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Consequential Loss Insurace Coverage

Postby Brian B on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:25 pm

Below is a link to an article relating to the author's boat that had sunk at the dock due to a leaking bolt that had worn out. (The author is an insurance agent no less.) His insurance company denied the claim as the policy did not cover "Consequential Loss". Its an interesting read that states 90%
of boats that sink at the dock are not covered by insurance companies. Worth checking your policy for this type of coverage. I'm getting a clarification on my policy right now.

http://www.risaa.org/newsletter/0717/0717_04.pdf
Brian B

City: West Warwick
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Re: Consequential Loss Insurace Coverage

Postby captstu on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:24 pm

Not being a lawyer or an insurance, can you tell us what companies do and don't cover the loss.?

Only luck kept my boat floating when a hose clamp parted on my shaft log. Even after it broke and I got the leak under control, I could not see to inspect the others. On my way to the boat from West with four new hose clamps.

Stuart Bell
Ranger 25: Shearwater
(561) 352-1796
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV
captstu

City: Delray Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV

Postby daveo on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:14 am

I just got a policy with Boat US. Called them about adding consequential loss. They do not have such coverage, I explained what it covers and got the insurance run around that adjusters would look at a claim and decide coverage applied.
daveo

City: Friday Harbor
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: Adventure

Postby Connerkip on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:21 pm

I too have boatUS. I called them, and they read me the section covering consequential damages. Sure sounded like I had coverage for consequential damage.
Kip Conner
Connerkip

City: Punta Gorda
State/Province: FL
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 30 (2014)
Vessel Name: Going Coastal

Postby scross on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:19 pm

Brian B,
Thanks for the heads up on this! Missed your original post last year.
Just sent an email to our insurance agent asking about consequential loss coverage. Couldn’t find a reference to it in our current policy.
That loss was another reminder to me on why it’s important to close the seacock when not planning to run the engine for awhile!
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
State/Province: OR
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Postby Hydraulicjump on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:39 pm

The disaster on the Cutwater made us all go out and check our insurance, I hope. Hard to imagine, given the relatively low cost of insurance, that one would ever choose to self insure.

We use Global Marine Insurance Agency in Seattle and they have written a Geico policy for us. Here is the critical language in the Hull Physical Damage Exclusions:

"Any losses caused directly or indirectly from wear and tear, gradual deterioration,
mechanical or electrical breakdown, overheating, electrolysis, galvanic action, rot, mold or
mildew, corrosion, weathering, marring, scratching, denting, vermin, animals or marine life;
however, we will cover immediate consequential property, damage resulting from any fire,
explosion, sinking, demisting, collision or stranding."

I called and they patiently explained that yes, if our boat sinks in the dock and it is caused by, say, a corroded seacock, they will not cover the seacock replacement but they will cover the damage caused by sinking. For example, I had a trim tab corrode and fall off. They won't cover that and that's on me. But if it somehow caused major damage to the boat, they cover that. However, they said that in cases of extreme neglect of the boat (meaning letting it rot at the dock), they may dispute coverage.

So yes, good to check and make sure that you have consequential property coverage. And by the way, the folks at Global Marine were very patient with me, which I appreciate. The folks at Ranger Tugs directed me toward them and I appreciate it.

Although I am still a bit mystified why "demisting" would lead to damage on a boat....

Jeff
Hydraulicjump

City: Davis
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Non-Ranger Model: Necky Looksha VII, Liquidlogic Remix, Jackson 4Fun
Vessel Name: La Barka (2015)

Postby Wee Venture on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:47 am

Was that a sly joke? Must be “demasting.”
Wee Venture

City: Kenmore
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Wee Venture
MMSI Number: 368003370

Postby bigdealsam on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:06 pm

As a 32 year "policy peddler" for one of the major carriers (recently retired) I offer the following absolute truth about insurance policies - "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away"

Ask all questions in writing and keep a file, electronic or paper, of all responses. Trust me, someday you will need to access that file.
bigdealsam

City: Mooresville
State/Province: NC
Non-Ranger Model: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer

Postby bill j on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:07 am

I too have boat insurance through BoatUS. I called and they do cover Consequential Losses. Bill
bill j

City: belton
State/Province: TX
Non-Ranger Model: CUTWATER 26
Vessel Name: OVERDUE

Postby Wee Venture on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:35 pm

Just a word of caution about calling to verify coverage. I would definitely want to see it in the official contract. I have been verbally assured of things more than once by insurance representatives on the phone and at boat shows about specifics of coverage that turned out to be inaccurate. I’m not saying they intentionally misrepresented. They may have meant well and thought they knew but were uninformed. When it comes to making a claim, all that really matters is what is in the contract. (And I would say the second most important thing is the company’s reputation for customer service and specifically claims servicing.)
Wee Venture

City: Kenmore
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Wee Venture
MMSI Number: 368003370

Return to Chat