The R-27/OB's Refrigerator door

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

The R-27/OB's Refrigerator door

Postby baz on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:11 pm

Subject: The R-27/OB's Refrigerator door

When visiting my R-27/OB in the yard having its hull bottom painted I noticed that the Refrigerator door swung aft toward me standing at the sink. This would be awkward in accessing items in the Refrigerator. I'm assuming the door is double-hung and can be switched to swing the opposite way. Is this a correct assumption ? Thanks... :)
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded/sold 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs
Ordered 2018 R-27/OB Midnight Blue - Delivery 8/16/2017 (with 2 days for Systems & Operations training)
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: LAXEY

Re: The R-27/OB's Refrigerator door

Postby ixlr8 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:13 pm

According to the NovaCool website... they do have reversible swing doors.
Jim
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Non-Ranger Model: 2013 Pulsfer Hampton
Vessel Name: Lucy

Postby baz on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:17 pm

Thanks Jim. :D
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Ordered 2018 R-27/OB Midnight Blue - Delivery 8/16/2017 (with 2 days for Systems & Operations training)
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby knotflying on Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:54 am

I think you will find a slight problem when reversing the swing and that is why it is the way it is. If the swing is reversed I will bet that the door will not clear the seating and hence will not open all the way. This will result in you not being able to open your freezer door all the way. In other words, pick your poison. With the door hinged the way it is now the radius clears the seat. Reversing it makes the radius too long to clear the seat. Try it, I am curious if my suspicion is correct.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby baz on Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:08 pm

Mike: The gap between the edge of the refrigerator door when at its 90º position leaves a good 1" from the opposite side which is where the Microwave unit is located and edge of the helm seat. In fact, on the factory R-27/OB that I've seen several times now, it has the Refrigerator door swung opposite to what RT has done on my R-27/OB. So I'm sure the door on my R-27/OB can be switch to swing the other way. I've asked that they change the door swing prior to delivery. So I will know for sure next week. :) However, since the door was correctly swung on the factory R-27/OB I see there will be no issue with this at all.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby knotflying on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:03 am

Good to know. Perhaps that was corrected for the 27. A friend with a 25 had the seat conflict when they changed the swing.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

Postby Navigator's Son on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:53 am

I might have to do that on my boat as well. Almost every time i am opening the fridge I am standing at the sink/stove and can'tget anything from the freezer.

The door has all the holes in it already, so making the switch would be a 1 minute fix. On the 25SC the door does swing past the passenger cushion, but now thecrucial part, will it clear that cushion based on the location of the forward hinge...
Robert Kondakjian
NAVIGATOR'S SON
2017 R-25SC
Snohomish, WA
Port of Everett
Navigator's Son

City: Snohomish
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Navigator's Son

Postby knotflying on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:28 pm

Navigator's Son wrote:I might have to do that on my boat as well. Almost every time i am opening the fridge I am standing at the sink/stove and can'tget anything from the freezer.

The door has all the holes in it already, so making the switch would be a 1 minute fix. On the 25SC the door does swing past the passenger cushion, but now thecrucial part, will it clear that cushion based on the location of the forward hinge...

It did not clear on my friend's boat.
knotflying

Postby baz on Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:36 pm

This Refrigerator door swing has me puzzled wrt the R-25 and maybe the R-25SC also. On my 2010 R-25 (Classic) the door swung correctly for me when at the sink. The gap between its 90º position and the opposite Nav seat cushion was not much more than a Gnat's whisker. I never ever gave it a second thought to see if hanging the door so it swung aft rather than forward to see if the gap was more or less.

My guess for my new 2018 R-27 is that the factory took a Refrigerator that would normally have been placed in the R-27/Diesel-inboard model and simply placed it my boat without a send thought, and hence why the door swung incorrectly toward the sink. The new R-27 has its Refrigerator and stove/sink on port side vs. it being on starboard side for the R-27/inboard diesel model.

I suspect also that the isle on the new R-27 is a bit wider than for the R-27/inboard-diesel model because there's a good 1" gap with the door opened at 90º, or that the helm seat cushion doesn't stick out into the isle pathway as much.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Navigator's Son on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:38 pm

It didn't take a lot of effort to see there was no way the door could swing fully open on the 25SC.

The hinge is just aft of the nav seat that the radius of the swinging door just clears the seat. However, based on where the door would swing on the forward hinge, the doors radius is completely blocked by the cushion in theforward direction.

Didn't even have to use a tapemeasure
Robert Kondakjian
NAVIGATOR'S SON
2017 R-25SC
Snohomish, WA
Port of Everett
Navigator's Son

City: Snohomish
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Navigator's Son

Postby knotflying on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:35 am

Definitely a design flaw on the 25SC.
knotflying

Postby baz on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:43 am

baz wrote:Mike: The gap between the edge of the refrigerator door when at its 90º position leaves a good 1" from the opposite side which is where the Microwave unit is located and edge of the helm seat. In fact, on the factory R-27/OB that I've seen several times now, it has the Refrigerator door swung opposite to what RT has done on my R-27/OB. So I'm sure the door on my R-27/OB can be switch to swing the other way. I've asked that they change the door swing prior to delivery. So I will know for sure next week. :) However, since the door was correctly swung on the factory R-27/OB I see there will be no issue with this at all.

I was informed today that currently all new R-27/OB models have their Refrigerator door swinging toward the sink. The reason is that this is the way the Refrigerator comes from the manufacturer and presumable little thought was given to the door's swing direction during installation. I'm told that a RT factory directive has been issued to reverse the swing so that the door swings away from the sink on all current/future builds. So, this issue for the new R-27/OB should no longer be an issue for customers. :D
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby ixlr8 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:58 am

baz wrote:I was informed today that currently all new R-27/OB models have their Refrigerator door swinging toward the sink. The reason is that this is the way the Refrigerator comes from the manufacturer and presumable little thought was given to the door's swing direction during installation. I'm told that a RT factory directive has been issued to reverse the swing so that the door swings away from the sink on all current/future builds. So, this issue for the new R-27/OB should no longer be an issue for customers. :D

Hmmm, the 27OB I was on Saturday had the refrigerator door swing away from the sink, which lead me to wonder why you wanted to change it. I wonder if the factory or dealer changed it, or was it a fluke it came that way.
Jim
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Non-Ranger Model: 2013 Pulsfer Hampton
Vessel Name: Lucy

Postby baz on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:38 pm

Jim: Presumably someone had the mind to swing the door correctly on that R-27/OB. ;) :o
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Return to Chat