Cleaning and vacuuming your Tug

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Cleaning and vacuuming your Tug

Postby baz on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:12 pm

Subject: Cleaning and vacuuming your Tug

I have just received my vacuum cleaner I intend to use on my R-27. I searched high and low for a small/portable, light, powerful and cordless vacuum cleaner. In the past I've simply used small but rather large portable vacuum cleaners that required 120v connection and were simply laying about the house.

The one I found is the BLACK+DECKER BDH2020FLFH MAX Lithium Flex Vacuum with Stick Vacuum Floor Head and Pet Hair Brush, 20-volt - Cordless on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JILGZOC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a bit spendy and I was a bit concerned about this. However, now that I have it I'm very pleased with its size and integral lithium-ion battery that takes about 4 hrs to full charge and does not fade as the battery slowly depletes. It comes with numerous attachments.

Some of the reviews I've read call it "cute".... and I must agree with this. I now will have a vac that I can keep on board and stow easily.
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 w/F300 outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Re: Cleaning and vacuuming your Tug

Postby knotflying on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:01 am

We use the same one, but without the stick extension. It holds the charge well and does a great job. I am not sure if B&D changed their strategy, but after several years the battery would not hold a charge. I could not get a replacement battery anywhere. When I called B&D they said there is none, you have to buy a new vacuum. I then complained to their customer service. They sent me a replacement vacuum and no cost. Still working 3 years later. I can't figure out why we accumulate so much dust on our boats. We don't even have a dog!
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby pricelowe on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:02 am

We use the same one. But use ear protection as it is very loud and in confined places could cause long term hearing issues. Great little vac though.
pricelowe

City: Nanoose Bay
State/Province: BC
Vessel Name: le Matou
MMSI Number: 316031355

Postby Boatagain on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:18 am

knotflying wrote: ...I can't figure out why we accumulate so much dust on our boats. We don't even have a dog!

That's a question I've wondered about - causes much head scratching. Hey, maybe that's where the dust is from!

Seriously, every corner, every recess, everywhere...all the time. Any ideas?
Michael, Judy, Porsche, Paige and Harry the Tug Dawg
Boatagain

City: Gaithersburg
State/Province: MD
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 30
Vessel Name: Gatsby

Postby nzfisher on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:06 am

I looked at a fair number of vacuums and found that the Ryobi was pretty good. Most of their tools are not so great but the portable vacuum has a substantial vacuum power it works pretty well and is reasonably priced. Replacing it is not onerous if it wears out or you happen to throw it over the side. here is how I mounted it view it in the link below.
I pulled power from the 120 volt bath outlet to hard mount the charger below the vacuum.
gallery2.php?g2_itemId=35228
nzfisher

City: corvallis
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Swims with Tuna

Postby Pourhouse on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 am

Many of the discontinued tool batteries can be rebuilt by Batteries Plus. A visits there might save a useful item from going to the Land fill.
Pourhouse

City: Fort Lauderdale
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Pour House

Postby baz on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:47 am

knotflying wrote:...snip... I can't figure out why we accumulate so much dust on our boats. We don't even have a dog!

...but you have humans onboard and their skin surfaces flake all day long. Cover the bodies with a thick layer of expensive Eucerin - Original Healing creme for Very Dry, Sensitive Skin. :lol: Also stop scratching... :lol: :o

Pollutants that can affect air quality in a home fall into the following categories:
Particulate matter includes dust, smoke, pollen, animal dander, tobacco smoke, particles generated from combustion appliances such as cooking stoves, and particles associated with tiny organisms such as:

dust mites
    molds
    bacteria
    viruses

Gaseous pollutants come from combustion processes. Sources include gas cooking stoves, vehicle exhaust and tobacco smoke. They also come from:

building materials
    furnishings
    the use of products such as
    adhesives
    paints
    varnishes
    cleaning products
    pesticides
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 w/F300 outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Return to Chat