Aft Bilge pump on C24

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Aft Bilge pump on C24

Postby MykeD on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi all! This is my first post so please excuse any ignorance. I have searched before I posted.

I have a 2016 C24 with an outboard. I have gone through two batteries (house) already and it is my first season! I keep my vessel in a marina on shore power. Whenever I get onto the boat after a storm or something the aft bilge pump is running. The pump isn't pushing water most times and actually we had our marina replace it and the sensor to see if it was faulty. On further analysis it seems that the sensor (it isn't a float) is lower than the pump. This seems backwards to me. How can the pump possibly get enough water out of the bilge to shut itself off.

This is one of many issues I have had with my new vessel. I love the look and design but I feel like Cutwater cut all of the final corners.

Has anyone experienced this bilge issue?

Thanks in advance!

.myke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MykeD

City: Waterford
State/Province: CT
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-242 C
Vessel Name: Sea You Next Tuesday

Re: Aft Bilge pump on C24

Postby kvonkleinsmid on Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:19 pm

Mike,

This is my first post/response on the site also. I have a Cutwater 30 CB. I am writing to tell you that I have heard about a number of people having to replace their aft bilge pump parts, either fuses or the bilge pump cartridge or float switch. I think my sensor is above the pump, but it is also currently "out" so maybe I have the same problem as you do. I have also had SIGNIFICANT problems with pre-mature rusting and corrosion with a lot of the parts and screws on the boat. In particular, my generator exhaust and engine exhaust thru hulls have both completely corroded out. Luckily, this was caught before the boat sank. I wish I had an answer for you, but at least you are not alone with these issues.

Kristen
kvonkleinsmid

City: Huntington Beach
State/Province: CA
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 30 Command Bridge
Vessel Name: E-Ticket

Postby Andrew Custis on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:17 am

Hello Mike,

Thank you for posting. The float actually mounts to the pump designed by Johnson. I do not know the engineering behind them but I do know the float has two sensor points that are higher up on the switch that activate the pump. I have a feeling that you actually have a faulty battery charger which we did have a bad batch from the supplier. I wish that we never had part failures but we do continue to monitor and change because of posts and feedback like this so thank you.

Please call my cell direct so we can get the dealer involved that you purchased from and get you the parts needed to address your issues. (253)230-0727

Thanks Myke,
Andrew Custis
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
andrewcustis@rangertugs.com
Andrew Custis
Ranger Factory Rep

City: Kent
State/Province: WA

Postby knotflying on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:19 am

As andrew stated, maybe you have a bad charger. However, I did notice on mine that the pump would keep running after the bilge was somewhat empty. It is imprtant that you make sure the impeller on the pump cartridge is clear of debris. Crud and fuzz can get caught in it and it then pumps inefficiently. Also make sure that the sensor remains free of that oily film that will tend to form on it. A quick spray with Simple green and a wipe with a paper towel works well. Additionally I did find that lifting the sensor just a bit aids significantly in it shutting off and not to continually run. Instead of snapping it in all the way, I just lifted it a tad after it seated. That seemed to help significantly.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby MykeD on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:26 pm

kvonkleinsmid wrote:Mike,

This is my first post/response on the site also. I have a Cutwater 30 CB. I am writing to tell you that I have heard about a number of people having to replace their aft bilge pump parts, either fuses or the bilge pump cartridge or float switch. I think my sensor is above the pump, but it is also currently "out" so maybe I have the same problem as you do. I have also had SIGNIFICANT problems with pre-mature rusting and corrosion with a lot of the parts and screws on the boat. In particular, my generator exhaust and engine exhaust thru hulls have both completely corroded out. Luckily, this was caught before the boat sank. I wish I had an answer for you, but at least you are not alone with these issues.

Kristen

Sorry to say that I too have rust issues but not to the extent that you seem to have.

I've also noticed a number of cracks on the decking. Definitely plan to stay on top of these things while still covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MykeD

City: Waterford
State/Province: CT
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-242 C
Vessel Name: Sea You Next Tuesday

Postby baz on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:03 pm

My understanding of the 'float sensor' is that the bilge water needs to cover/contact two distinct points on the float sensor. On my float sensor these two points are in a vertical line with maybe 2" separating them. They are identified by a raised circle of the plastic. By placing a finger on both sensor points at the same time will activate the pump. Removing one finger will cause the pump to stop. The idea is that the bilge water level has to reach the upper sensor point before the pump is engaged. The water is then pumped out until the water level drops to the lower sensor point.

I've tested this and it works as I've described.

BTW... On my new 2018 R-27 Outboard model my aft most bilge pump/sensor assembly has been replaced three times by RT. At first the float sensor was replaced with a brand new one as the original one was inoperative. This replacement was inoperative also....very weird if you ask me as well. Finally the whole assembly was replaced and so far, so good.... it's working as it should.
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 w/F300 outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Return to Chat