Electronic Navigation Class

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Electronic Navigation Class

Postby SassyRed on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:09 pm

Area TugNuts,

As some of you know, I have been involved in boater education as part of the Bellevue chapter of the US Power Squadron.

Not quite two years ago, the Squadron put together and taught an Electronic Navigation class that was well received. If there is sufficient interest, the Squadron is offering to teach this class and, as appropriate to adjust/customize, for the interests of Ranger Tug and Cutwater boat owners.

The last time we taught the class we scheduled 1 day per week for 2 hours and for 8 weeks. We could also adjust this time as people want. A general syllabus would be:

· Brief review of navigation basics, terms, and definitions
· Electronic Charts (Vector, Rastor, where to acquire, how to keep up to date)
· Route planning, creating, exporting, and importing routes
· Navigation using computers (laptop, tablet, smart phone). OpenCPN, Navionics, BlueChart, ??
· Navigation using a GPS and chart plotter (focus on contemporary chart plotters). Depending on the audience, we could probably focus on Garmin.
· Additional navigation devices (AIS, Radar, Depth Sounder)

One feature of this class is that we have the freedom to include content specifically interesting to students. So, if we go ahead with this class, students will help determine subject matter. Just as example, we have marine network experts we could bring in to talk about NMEA, Signal K, or other interconnection topics. Also, this class is particularly conducive to classroom participation. In the past we have used OpenCPN as a teaching tool.

The lead instructor would be Captain Robert Cooper (100 Ton). Robert has been boating and cruising in the Puget Sound region for 30 plus years and has taught Seamanship and various seminars for several years. We would like to conduct the class wherever seems most convenient for students. The class was last taught at the Meydenbauer Yacht club, but if someone can help locate a venue in Edmonds (for example the Edmonds Yacht Club) or somewhere else appropriate, that would work also.

There will be a nominal charge for this class primarily to cover cost of materials. Please reply to me by PM or as part of this thread if you have interest. We haven’t firmed up any dates yet, and we won’t until we assess interest. Obviously if there isn’t sufficient interest we won’t hold the class at all.

Please let me know if this is inappropriate content for TugNuts. If it is, I will delete it.

Thank you,

Kevin Kean (SassyRed C30 CB)
SassyRed

City: Woodinville
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: cutwater 30 CB
Vessel Name: SassyRed

Re: Electronic Navigation Class

Postby Craig on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:59 am

I'm in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Craig

City: Woodinville
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Windermere

Postby Len on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:09 am

I am interested!
Len & Teri Bariquit
Honu Makai R27
Seattle, wa.
Len

City: Seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Honu Makai

Postby baz on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:22 pm

The important aspect to holding this class will be finding a suitable place to hold the class at.

My daughter #1 is on the Edmonds City Council and I will be asking her if there's a suitable room/area in Edmonds for this.

1) There's the Port of Edmonds conference room - large enough as I've attended a boat electrical maintenance course there a few years back.

2) There's the Edmonds Yacht Club

3) There's the Edmonds Senior Citizens Facility next to the Ferry dock

4) There's the Edmonds Driftwood Players theater arena

5) The Phoenix Theater

6) The Edmonds Center For the Arts

7) ...and even the Edmonds family owned Edmonds Movie Theater on Main Street which opened in 1924.... They would have all the video devices as well presumably.... :lol:
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 w/F300 outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby BobnDoc on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:25 pm

Sassy
Sorry I missed your Tugnuts post in Sept. If you haven’t done the class yet, Cyna and I would love to sign up, especially if it’s in Edmonds. Also interested in other USPS courses. Bob Gold
BobnDoc

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-30 CB
Vessel Name: Salish Suite

Return to Chat