Do you know when your Propane tank is almost empty?

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Do you know when your Propane tank is almost empty?

Postby baz on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Subject: Do you know when your Propane tank is almost empty?

I have two tanks. One is larger than the other. I assume the larger one is the primary tank and will empty before the other starts to be used.

Without having to disconnect the larger tank to weigh it or feel that it's light/empty how do others deal with this ?

There's a pressure gauge in the tank locker and is on the line going to the propane stove and currently reads around 100. As the primary tank empties does the pressure value decrease to give me some idea the tank is getting to its empty state ? If the primary larger tank empties will the secondary smaller tank automagically start to be used ?

Thanks... :)
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 w/F300 outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Re: Do you know when your Propane tank is almost empty?

Postby captstu on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:20 pm

Propane is stored as a liquid and gas. The pressure gauge is used for lead detection only. The Idea is when you turn the tank off, note the pressure on the gauge. Come back sometime later and see how much pressure has dropped. Any drop comes for leak.

If the pressure gauge drops more than a few pounds overnight, find the leak or fill out your will.

There’s no way of telling how the builder plumbed your tanks. In general Boaths will not automatically switch from the prime to back up tank and you must valve off the prime tank and open the back up tank with the prime tank is empty.

As you’ve noted correctly Weighing is the only surefire way to tell level in the tank. There are strips available you could tape on the outside of the tag that will show the level of the propane liquid by detecting the cooling as the propane liquid turns into a guess. These are actually quite reliable and worth applying to your tanks if the tanks you have remain with Boat. Some of the larger tanks at flow gauge is built into them but this is very unusual a Boat, common in the RV world.

Stuart Bell
Ranger 25: Shearwater
(561) 352-1796
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV
captstu

City: Delray Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV

Postby baz on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Stuart: Thanks for your information.

Seems that I simply have the secondary tank's valve shut and when the primary tank becomes empty I'll obviously know that. I can then switch over to using the smaller secondary tank and have time to refill the primary larger tank.

From what you've responded with I now understand the purpose of the pressure gauge which should alert me to any leaking issue.

Thank you. :)
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 w/F300 outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby knotflying on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:58 am

Subject: Do you know when your Propane tank is almost empty?

When no more propane comes out of the burner. :lol:

I do not have a second tank. I did buy an adapter for one of those small BBQ grill tanks so I can screw one onto the supply line to get me by until I find a place to fill up. I do occasionally lift the tank to feel how heavy it is. Only ran out of fuel once in 6 years. And you can always get by with the microwave and BBQ if you have to.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Return to Chat