C28 Engine Access Panel

Have you customized your Ranger Tug or Cutwater Boat? Share your handiwork here.

C28 Engine Access Panel

Postby Tardis on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:56 pm

Recently I had trouble getting correct tension on belt (70 ftlb is a lot) and local engine guy who helped me suggested cutting an access port in the front panel to access it from inside. Preparing to do this, I was surprised to find it already exists on my C28. There is a large panel held by two screws that can be removed to expose the front of the engine. Easy to find screw by pealing back the soundproofing slightly - but panel is very tight to move entirely out of the way. Easiest to first remove the two screws holding the water separator, and laying it on the floor. Getting the panel out over the fuel hoses was still a bit tricky so once out I also cut 1 inch of the bottom-nearside edge. Also cut some of the excess flap supporting the top step to give me better access. (No loss of support - it is just excess.)
Easy job that will make replacing parts on the engine front much easier in the future.
Tardis

City: Beaufort
State/Province: SC
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Tardis
MMSI Number: 338161062

Re: C28 Engine Access Panel

Postby Cutwater28GG on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:02 pm

got any photos?
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby Tardis on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:18 pm

Yes. I have photos - soon
Last edited by Tardis on Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tardis

Postby BB marine on Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:14 am

I'm not sure if the sure is the access to the engine compartment is the same on the 28 as 26. I am posting a few photos of how I get to the Belts , sea pump,crank case ventilation filter,Turbo, and other inspection points of my D3 Volvo. It takes 5minutes to have the step removed and gain access to all mentioned points. This is a must for changing the impeller.
Brian Brown
26 Cutwater
PORT-A-GEE

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby Tardis on Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:40 pm

Photos:
1- Removing two screws lets panel be removed
2 - View with panel removed. Also trimed some excess at top to give bette access.
3 - View of engine through opening.
Tardis

Postby Cutwater28GG on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:40 am

nice thanks Tardis!

Gives me a chance to do a proper inspection of the coolant pipework on the back of the engine with this panel removed. my current plan is take photos with the phone at arms reach and review. not ideal!

Port-A-Gee on the 28 the engine doesnt enter the living space but stays entirely outside so the panel removal is a little different
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

Postby bails023 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:56 am

What model year is the 28 that has the removable panel depicted in the post?
bails023

City: Edgewater
State/Province: MD
Vessel Name: First & Last
MMSI Number: 338167347

Postby Tardis on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:13 am

Panel is on a 2013 C28.
Last photo of engine was with camera at arms length.
Tardis

Postby bails023 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:04 pm

Looked on my 2014 C-28 today and the panel is as you described. They moved the separator into the engine compartment in 2014 (at least on my boat).

Thanks for the "find". Even though it is a bit tight getting back in there, it will be useful for several "front of the engine" tasks.
bails023

City: Edgewater
Vessel Name: First & Last
MMSI Number: 338167347

Postby aintmissb on Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:39 am

So, late to this discussion I know. I have a 2012 C28 with the Yanmar engine. My mechanic, who has never seen a Cutwater before, just told me that he had to lift the engine to swap the impeller (!!). Does this sound right to you? How do you do it? Thanks very much, Roger Ware, Kingston, ON
aintmissb

City: Kingston
State/Province: ON

Postby Brian B on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:15 am

On my 25SC I change the Yanmar impeller by working through the interior step, I've changed it out 5 times now. If you have access on your Cutwater like in the pics on this thread it should be easy. Never heard of having to pull the engine to change an impeller on any tug or Cutwater. Have you checked for this access panel? If it doesn't exist maybe its time for a modification or a more pliable mechanic.
Brian B

City: West Warwick
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby Cutwater28GG on Wed May 02, 2018 6:30 pm

Aintmissb - this does not sound right.

I have a 2012 with the volvo. but my impeller is at the bow end - so not easy to get to. My mechanic has changed this going through the regular hatch opening.

having to raise/remove the engine is ridiculous for an item that ideally should be changed yearly.
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

Postby Nutedog on Thu May 03, 2018 7:31 am

There are two separate panels under the hatch in the door way on my 2012 (28 yanmar) the panel behind the dog house(coffin) should come out first making the panel below the door come out much easier. Use same approach on both panels removing the insulation and bingo screws are revealed. My first impeller change was done through these opening. Still a bit tight but no heavy lifting. No need for engine lift.
Nutedog

City: Marco Island
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed

Postby SummerSteve on Thu May 23, 2019 5:10 pm

I'm posting this to help any other C26 owners who's step is attached differently than Brian's.

For the past couple of days I've been trying to figure out how to remove the step to replace air filters and impeller on my relatively new to me 2012 C26 - Extremely frustrating!!! After reading and rereading Brian's post and photo albums (Great by the way!) - I thought that I had it figured out - but clearly mine differed a lot... I finally removed the electric access panel (not just the velcro door, but the large panel), which allowed the stern end of the step to move, but the front was still firmly attached - I found one screw under the sound barrier that is accessed from the small hatch in the galley floor, which I backed out, but the step was still tight - I called my dealer's usually excellent mechanic and asked for his suggestion - which was that it was screwed in through the monkey fur in several places - so I dug and dug and eventually pulled free the bottom half of the fur, found only a single screw through the bulkhead at the stern end of the cave - which loosened the step a little, but it was still firmly attached along the top of the bulkhead - Thinking perhaps it was glued - I began to pry it off with a screwdriver - which revealed that it had been screwed from the top into the bulkhead (well, at least two of the three screws hit the bulkhead- the other just missed) BEFORE they glued on the teak holly sole... which is very firmly glued...

Who would do that??? At least I got the step off, now I need to reglue the fur, and figure out a better way to attach the step on re-assembly... Oh - and now I know the replacments are really overdue!

Photos in my album!
SummerSteve

City: Baltimore
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-26
Vessel Name: Seamonkeys

Return to Owner Customizations