adding cabinet under microwave

Have you customized your Ranger Tug or Cutwater Boat? Share your handiwork here.

adding cabinet under microwave

Postby irwinengineering on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:26 am

Hi, we joined the tug family last year with a 2011 R27. We have enjoyed many trips to the Channel Islands already and are looking forward to many more in the years to come.

I would like to add a cabinet door under the microwave. I see that several of you have either had that done by the factory or added it yourself later. Can anyone provide the source, size, part number, etc. for this door?

thanks,
Brendan
irwinengineering

City: Ventura
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27

Re: adding cabinet under microwave

Postby Kim and Ed on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:52 am

I added a drawer in this location as well as one under the oven. We find these much more useful even though you give up a little space. I used 1/2 “ birch ply with teak top edging for the boxes and glued up some teak for the drawer fronts. I also made a teak face frame to match the other frames on the doors. The drawers are almost as deep as the passage way is wide to maximize storage. These drawers are far easier on your knees, eyes and your temperament when something finds itself at the very back of the space under there with only a door at floor level as access.
gallery2.php?g2_itemId=65779
gallery2.php?g2_itemId=65782
Ed/
Kim and Ed

City: Heriot Bay
State/Province: BC
Vessel Name: Tugetherness

Postby ALICE J on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:13 am

I added a plastic hatch under the microwave to access the forward part of the cave. I used the hatch cover that came from the stair access to the front of the engine, when I enlarged that access with a screw in starboard that basically covered the entire rises on the step. Suggestion is to get the largest hatch that will fit. My use of the engine hatch cover proved to be a slightly small and limited its utility function.
ALICE J

City: WEST PALM BEACH
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: ALICE J
MMSI Number: NONEHERES

Postby trailertrawlerkismet on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:01 am

When we had Kismet R27 I obtained a slated door, that matches the other interior doors, from Ranger Tugs parts department. Give Richard a call at 253-839-5213 or email at parts@rangertugs.com. You may be able to buy one from him or he can provide the vendor info.

Jim F
Jim & Lisa FavorsR29S Kismet
info@trailertrawlerlife.com
http://www.trailertrawlerlife.com
http://favorsgreatloopblog.com
http://boatus.com/cruising/kismet/log.asp
trailertrawlerkismet

City: Traverse City
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: (2018) Kismet

Postby Kim and Ed on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:48 am

I believe most of Ranger’s teak components are by Seateak. They are available at Defender, Amazon, Waterbrand and other retailers. Their louvred doors are available with the frame.
Ed/
Kim and Ed

City: Heriot Bay
State/Province: BC
Vessel Name: Tugetherness

Postby zekeandboone on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:50 am

I got mine from Fisheries Supply in Seattle.. They will ship..
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/whiteca ... -and-frame
Steve Zedekar
www.stevezedekar.com
zekeandboone

City: Battle Ground
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: Traded in a '17 25SC
Vessel Name: Coorie Doon

Postby irwinengineering on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:42 pm

Thanks for all of the input and help. I got a Whitecap 60722 teak door and pair of Sea Dog hinges from Amazon and now have a cave hatch that looks like it came with the boat.

I spent a bit of time crawling into the cave, taking measurements, thinking the job through before committing to the jigsaw. There was not a lot of extra space in there, in fact I had to cut a sliver off of the trim piece below the microwave to clear the top of the door frame. The opening had to be cut right up against the bottom of the microwave shelf in order that there was enough room for the door frame to clear the floor.

Now we have a nice big cabinet to put the tools and parts that are otherwise cluttering up the entry of the cave. Looking forward to another summer on the R-27.

thanks again,
Brendan
irwinengineering

City: Ventura
State/Province: CA

Return to Owner Customizations