V-berth cabinets installed.

Have you customized your Ranger Tug or Cutwater Boat? Share your handiwork here.

Re: V-berth cabinets installed.

Postby Gin on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:33 pm

Impressive! Functional and good looking.
Gin

City: Salem
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Vessel Name: Echo II (2019)

Postby BB marine on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:40 am

Nice Job, good utilization of the space. Looks good and it is functional. One of the best parts of TugNuts is owner ideas and owner customizations.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby olygirl on Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:14 am

Hey Mr. Gizzi...although you are overloaded I do know someone who lives very near you who would love to work on this project with you! We can start with your boat and then if it works, we can do our boat! What do you think? I'll even supply the wine...Seriously, if you ever decide to take this on count me in!
olygirl

City: Bellingham
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Cool Mint

Postby knotflying on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:18 am

Red Fury wrote:Curt, it is attached in serveal places (port and Starboard) to the bottom shelf behind the coaming pads. The first sections (port and starboard) against the bulkheads are single units that are overlapped by the remaining main bodies past the secondary bulkheads that stick down from above. both of these units (the single and mains) are secured with a single threaded bolt through the secondary bulkhead from inside the cabinets. The rest is secured via pressure fitting from the forward cabinet at the bow.

Not sure what you mean by attaching port and starboard. Speaking of one side only for now how was it attached? Are they easy enough to remove if the head liner needs to come out?
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby nzfisher on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:55 pm

A very impressive example of cut and fit cabinetry in very close and exasperatingly tight quarters. Finding reference points for taking measurements must have been challenging as well as the fabrication and fitting. It looks like you generated plenty of interest for someone to create patterns for the Hull shape. Great work!
nzfisher

City: corvallis
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Swims with Tuna

Postby Red Fury on Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Knotflying, yes, easy to remove, this set up has 5 sections. Two sections on each side and one front section. The two sections on the side are comprised of a one cabinet unit (most aft) between the dash and the small bulkhead that protrudes from the side and ceiling. This section is pressure fit and overlapped by the 4 cabinet section that runs between the single unit and the front unit. Both side sections are screwed in to the shelf behind the bolsters. I believe only the 4 cabinet section has these screws - 3 each. Not much is needed to hold these in place. The front section presses the side sections apart at the front and there are two screws (inside the front section - one each side) that connects the front section to the sides sections. This is confusing me now. If you are attending the Rendezvous on the Chesapeake or Roche Harbor this year, I will be happy to let you see this first hand. Guess I'm better at building than explaining :roll:

I will be removing these shortly and post more pictures of how they are fitted and attached. I have to remove them to install foldable footrests (through bolted) from the nav seat and pilot seat to behind the liners in the v-berth. I'll put the pics in the same album and let you know when they are there.
Last edited by Red Fury on Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan Nix
2017 R27 Classic "Bonny Lass"
Red Fury

City: Fredericksburg
State/Province: VA
Vessel Name: Bonny Lass
MMSI Number: 338244197

Postby Red Fury on Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:14 pm

nzifsher, Yup - tedious. The building the boat lives in is about 250 feet from my house. My shop is in the basement of the house. I should have been wearing a step tracker for the trips back and fourth. Cut a board, walk upstairs, outside, into the building to the back of the building, up the ladder, crawl into v-beth, test fit - nope - back to the house to cut 1/64th off an end, back to the boat...... you get it. This also took me 2 months to complete during my available time. We love the amount of storage this has given us and greatly reduces the clothing bag issues we were having before (living out of gym bags and where to keep 4 gym bags).

Next project is underway on my bench now.... corner cabinets in the head.... challenging. So far, ceiling to knee level, two opening cabinet doors and two shelves behind each door. Might be done in a week or so.....

Still waiting for the rendezvous to see galley cabinet mod ideas - shelves, additional openings and drawers. That may be next years projects.
Bryan Nix
Red Fury

Postby Red Fury on Tue May 28, 2019 9:07 pm

Knotflying, I have added some more pictures to this album that may help explain how they are attached.
Bryan Nix
Red Fury

Previous

Return to Owner Customizations