water pump pulsates

Have you customized your Ranger Tug or Cutwater Boat? Share your handiwork here.

water pump pulsates

Postby yogolferjim on Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:50 am

Good Day.
I just filled my water tank 1st time got all of the air out and checked all the fixtures works fine however after using it off and on all day the pump started pulsates I checked my water level 1/2 full any Ideas
Thanks Jim
yogolferjim

City: Gig Harbor
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: Ranger 27 northwest edition
Vessel Name: R & R

Re: water pump pulsates

Postby baz on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:35 am

I think the RT stock fresh water pump will always pulse. Are you saying it did not pulse previously to your posting you had filled the water tank ?

If you want a pump that deliveres less to no pulsing look at these two.... I believe Dog House 2 installed one of these in his R27/OB recently.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C6HUZ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041UDPNY/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Last edited by baz on Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB NW Edition - IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Postby yogolferjim on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:40 am

yes it was a steady stream you could hear the pump going no big deal now it goes on then almost off the repeats it.

Jim
yogolferjim

Postby baz on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:44 am

Hmmmm, strange.... every RT boat I've owned had a fresh water pump that pulsed and could at times be very noisy if the PEX pipes vibrated against bulkhead and/or against the hot/cold lines.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB NW Edition - IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Postby BB marine on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:02 pm

Installing a accumulator tank will eliminate that issue.
This is a Shurflo Pre-Pressurized Accumulator. Just one of many.
https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-6rtev5o ... 80.jpg?c=2

Installing a Whole house water filter will also reduce the water pump pulsations. It is not as effective as the Accumulator but does help and filters the water from the tank also. We have a Dupont whole house installed in our boat. We use our tank water for drinking.
Picture of whole house installed.

Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby NorthernFocus on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:41 pm

The pump operates on a pressure switch. If backpressure is low it will run continuously. If any restriction causes pressure to rise high enough it will switch off then back on as the pressure bleeds off. If it was running continuously before and the pulsation just started then something changed in the system. This same thing happens on our boat when the screens on the faucets get dirty. You might check them.

Simply pinching back on a faucet when the system is clean will cause the same behavior(i.e.make the pump pulse on/off).
Dan

Never confuse confidence for competence.
NorthernFocus

City: Anchorage
State/Province: AK
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Divine Focus

Postby Lenny and Louise on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:55 pm

A Dupont whole house filter solved the problem for us. When we started to notice a "water hammer" again, we checked the filter and put in a new cartridge. It should be done every 6 months. We bought a calendar.
Peace,
Lenny and Louise Anderson
R31S Then Again
Portland, OR

Lenny and Louise

City: Vancouver
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Vessel Name: Then Again

Postby The Doghouse 2 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:17 pm

I switched out the factory-installed fresh water pump for the Johnson 5 gpm variable flow pump. It eliminated the annoying pulsation noise, and is economical for space... simply switched out one pump for another. There is still some pump noise which I suspect is unavoidable but is still a great improvement. The idea of adding a water filter to the system is intriguing from not only filtering your water but also (possibly) reducing noise.

Bob & Kim
The Doghouse 2
The Doghouse 2

City: Lake Stevens
Non-Ranger Model: 2019 Hunter Green R27-OB w/ Suzuki 300
Vessel Name: The Doghouse 2
MMSI Number: 368050260

Postby knotflying on Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:43 am

yogolferjim wrote:Good Day.
I just filled my water tank 1st time got all of the air out and checked all the fixtures works fine however after using it off and on all day the pump started pulsates I checked my water level 1/2 full any Ideas
Thanks Jim

Is your boat new? Many times there are shavings and small debris that will restrict flow through the various screens in the water system for over a year. Check the main screen at the pump then the various screens at the faucets. Does it happen only while using one faucet? If so, then that may be the one with the clogged screens. I am not sure if they still use it, but the galley sing has/had a small inline check valve where the faucet head line connects to the faucet body. Remove that check valve.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby Toucan on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:49 am

On our R27, we installed a small accumulator along side the hot water heater. It totally stopped the pulsation. The hardest thing on the life of an electrical motor and switches is the turn-on and turn-off currents and associated voltage spikes. With the accumulator, the pump runs for a few seconds recharging the accumulator and providing flow to a faucet before cycling off for a few seconds. Without the accumulator, the pump motor is cycling on and off several times per second. As delivered, when the galley faucet was on the spray setting, some of the water would land outside the sink. With the accumulator and with a head sink sprayer (which is shorter and aims straight down) in the galley, all the water goes into the center of the sink. You can get a head-type sprayer from Richard in Parts and it is inexpensive.

Barry Thompson
Toucan

City: Ridgecrest
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Toucan
MMSI Number: 367796310

Postby yogolferjim on Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:51 am

Thanks everyone for the info

Jim :D
yogolferjim

Postby Aadudley on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:06 pm

You may want to check the filter screen on the inlet side of the pump. I have had the same problem and have now cleaned plastic debris from this screen 3 times this past year. It appears that the tank supplier never cleaned the tank of shavings when the tank was drilled for hose connections. It has been a major headache. If you pm me your e mail I can send your photos of what it might be. (don't know how to attach photos here)

Al
Ranger 25SC
True Blue
Aadudley

City: Medina
State/Province: OH
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: True Blue

Postby Bruce Moore on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:40 pm

Aadudley wrote:(don't know how to attach photos here)

Al
Ranger 25SC
True Blue

Getting a User Photo Album for your Ranger Tug is easy but it requires submitting a request from within the site structure.

1. Sign on to the site. You’re probably signed on if you’re reading this.

2. Select the User Control Panel link from the upper left corner of any page. Note: On the home page, this link is in your user menu in the upper right.

3. Click the Usergroups tab, then select the radio button next to the User Albums group.
Scroll down, choose "Join selected" in the drop-down menu, and click the Submit button.

Once you do this, an email is automatically sent to the administrator (me). That message will trigger my ability to approve your request, and you'll receive an email indicating your membership in the User Albums group has been activated.

Once you have an album with pictures you'll use the g2Img tag to include one in your post. Alternatively, you can use the Img tag to add images which are hosted on a publicly accessible source on the Web. You'll find instructions in the FAQ under Formatting and Topic Types.

I'll watch for the message, and look forward to seeing your pictures.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bruce and Vicki
R-41 Bridge - Hull #4 - Soundtrack - Elliott Bay Marina, Seattle
Bruce Moore

City: Seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Non-Ranger Model: SSBN 658 Mariano G. Vallejo
Vessel Name: Soundtrack
MMSI Number: 368096220

Postby Dcsqatar on Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:20 pm

Seeking a final answer for managing freshwater pulsation issues on my new R29. Choices seem to be:

1. Replace factory Jabsco 3.5 gpm, 10A, constant speed pump with a variable speed one. Others on Tugnuts have recommended Johnson Pumps 10-13329-103 Master 5.0 GPM Variable Flow Demand Pump, about $180 on Amazon. Evidently an easy direct replacement since also 40 psi and requires 15A fused circuit.

2. Install an accumulator. Ranger staff recommend Johnson Pumps 09-46839-01 Accumulator, about $140 on Amazon. Plenty of room next to existing water pump.

3. Both

Appreciate anyone’s insight
Dcsqatar

Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: Beautiful Red
MMSI Number: 338348082

Postby Red Raven on Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:42 pm

Dcsqatar wrote:Seeking a final answer for managing freshwater pulsation issues on my new R29. Choices seem to be:

1. Replace factory Jabsco 3.5 gpm, 10A, constant speed pump with a variable speed one. Others on Tugnuts have recommended Johnson Pumps 10-13329-103 Master 5.0 GPM Variable Flow Demand Pump, about $180 on Amazon. Evidently an easy direct replacement since also 40 psi and requires 15A fused circuit.

2. Install an accumulator. Ranger staff recommend Johnson Pumps 09-46839-01 Accumulator, about $140 on Amazon. Plenty of room next to existing water pump.

3. Both

Appreciate anyone’s insight

I would add the option to check and secure the hoses near the pump. If the pulsating is loud enough for you to be considering replacing it it must be more than just the pump noise. The hoses must be banging against something.

Curt
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767