Emergency propulsion system

Have you customized your Ranger Tug or Cutwater Boat? Share your handiwork here.

Emergency propulsion system

Postby bob daily on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:09 pm

AKA -Kicker motor
Just finished installation of bracket of a design I modified from one I saw on a sail boat.

Will pick up motor next week, am going with a 6:HP Tohatsu, 20 in shaft, 59lb, 12volt 60w-5amp alternate, internal and external fuel tank system, with a Troll master remote system installed
Will update when I have it all put together. Bob
bob daily

City: Kennewick
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Scuttlebutt

Re: Emergency propulsion system

Postby Hamster on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:45 am

Bob, what will be faster? The emergency propulsion system or the little diesel that keeps on chuggin? :D
Hamster

City: Bellingham
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Tokitae

Postby bob daily on Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:51 pm

Have motor mounted now will wire up troll master (wireless throttle), alternator charging system and fuel lines. Will run all items to kicker through the hull next to the fuel fill cap to keep it out of cockpit area and have quick disconnects for ease of removal during trailoring.
Hopefully sea trials next week!
Will check on speed and let you know Dave!
bob daily

Postby ALICE J on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:46 pm

I did a similar bracket on my swim platform on my R27. I am able to mount my 10hp outboard on the bracket and move my boat at about 3 knots. I got me to a safe anchorage just before a blow in the Bahamas. The only issue was steering the outboard to give the proper direction. The boat rudder will not work, it's not large enough. It's not like a sail boat :o
ALICE J

City: WEST PALM BEACH
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: ALICE J
MMSI Number: NONEHERES

Postby bob daily on Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:56 pm

Will let you know after sea trials, I'm hoping due to the large rudder on the R-21 it will be like a sail boat, but if not then I'll have to install remote steering for the kicker! If anyone has an excuse for spending more money on my boat to give my wife I'd appreciate it.
Thanks Bob
bob daily

Postby Catch22 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:21 am

Super job, Bob. Fabrication looks very solid and clean. Looking forward to the sea trial results...especially the rudder control.....wondering at what speed the water over the rudder plane will give decent control.???

Just tell the wife the salmon are going to pay now.......she does like smoked salmon, right???

Dennis
Catch22

City: Sturgeon Bay
State/Province: WI

Postby ixlr8 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:14 am

Looks good. Just take the Admiral out a ways, have the engine "quit" and float around for a while. That might help her open the checkbook.
I had a flying buddy who wanted a bigger engine in his plane. He took his wife flying on a hot day at a high altitude airport. They used up most of the runway on takeoff and it scared her. As they were climbing to altitude to head home, she asked what it would take to have a shorter take off roll in those conditions. He told her a bigger engine that would cost $xxxxx.xx. She was sitting in the back seat and a moment later the checkbook when flying past his head and she told him to get it done. :)
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby bob daily on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:56 am

ImageImage

Access for fuel line to kicker, still working on electrical will have jumped to run through same access!
bob daily

Postby bob daily on Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:53 pm

Took boat out today to test kicker motor, boat handled good using rudder! Not as quick as with big motor but was only doing 1 to 2 mph. Have a few kinks to work out of the electrical system, one of my connections came loose, will solder and redo. Only had kicker to about 65% power till I get it broke-in, it will push her to about 80% of hull speed - I thinkImageImage

Note: this was going up river against about 2.5 mph current.
bob daily

Postby bob daily on Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:46 pm

ImageImage

Second seatrial to day! Kicker will push boat at 1mph when put in gear at idle, was looking at
1 1/2mph for lake trout. Pro troll remote throttle controller worked great, steering was good until wind came up, then needed more speed to controls boat.
When I went to start diesel it would not start due to safety switch, will work on that later, but docked boat with kicker and made it home safely, which is what I wanted a second propulsion system for!
bob daily

Return to Owner Customizations