Dingy Davit to assist lifting dingy up and motor off.

Have you customized your Ranger Tug or Cutwater Boat? Share your handiwork here.

Dingy Davit to assist lifting dingy up and motor off.

Postby BB marine on Wed May 29, 2019 8:01 am

We have a Gala aluminum rib 8'10" that is rated for 10 hp. We have the weaver davit system that I installed. The Gala is a wide dingy 5'7". when mounted on the platform with original stand off location it sits 6' high reducing aft visibility. I installed additional mounting brackets to change the location and gain visibility. This new angle has reduced dingy movement, increased visibility , supports the dingy better and reduced spray at higher speeds. It also gives me the ability to tow the Cutwater with the dingy installed. It sits lower and rides better while towing over the road. I have the original brackets still installed and can position the dingy up so we can use the platform for grilling and showering while at anchor.
gallery2.php?g2_itemId=68707&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

The one issue I had was lifting the boat up out of the water. It takes a great deal of lifting and pulling to lift the dingy. I also was at my limit for lifting my outboard off the boat. My plan was to reduce hp this year for a manageable weight motor. I had a 7.5hp Evinrude that would plane the boat with one person. I was looking at 2hp Suzuki but really wanted a motor that we could get on plane with 2 or three passengers. I knew I could not lift it safely off the dingy for storage on the boat.

I found this compact davit made by Garhauer marine and installed it in a out of the way location. I removed the port rod holder and used the existing hole and mounting screw holes to mount the support bushing.
gallery2.php?g2_itemId=68713&g2_imageViewsIndex=1
gallery2.php?g2_itemId=68716&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

The davit arm has a 34" reach. I have a few items to add to the davit to to help add the ease of retrieving the boat and engine.

I now can store the davit out of the way and when needed it takes less then a minute to set up. It will lower and raise the dingy with almost no effort. I can lift the motor off the dingy with with very little effort and swing the motor in the cockpit for storage. I did increase Hp to a 9.9 Mariner which launches the boat on plane with 2 passengers and easily exceeds 15 mph I think it is faster but that is as fast as I allowed it to go on our first trial run.
gallery2.php?g2_itemId=68703&g2_imageViewsIndex=1
gallery2.php?g2_itemId=68710&g2_imageViewsIndex=1
I will post photos in my album of the davit in operation this weekend. This is a back saver!
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Re: Dingy Davit to assist lifting dingy up and motor off.

Postby BB marine on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:26 pm

I'm posting a couple more photo's of the davit.
The davit is set up to lift motor and boat.

Ready to lift the boat up. one hand easy pull to lift.

The 9.9 pushes the Gala 270 21 mph with 2 people.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Re: Dingy Davit to assist lifting dingy up and motor off.

Postby TugScout on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:02 am

Great installation. It looks wonderful.

Even though we have a tiny 2.5 Mercury for the Dinghy, the Admiral has a tough time lifting it should she need too. This would be a great solution.

Thanks,
Mark
TugScout

City: Stanwood
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Amy Marie (2012)

Return to Owner Customizations