Retractable Screen Door

Have you customized your Ranger Tug or Cutwater Boat? Share your handiwork here.

Retractable Screen Door

Postby TomFoolery on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:07 pm

Shortly after getting the boat I considered screening in the cockpit but found it was going to be very expensive and require a lot of zipping and unzipping for entry and exit. A friend and neighbor has an R-27 also and he has been a valuable resource for customization ideas and advice. (Thanks Bob!)

As soon as I saw the retractable screen door on his boat, I knew I had to get one! It required a bit of "engineering" to install, but I managed to complete it. It works great and most people think it was factory installed.
Tom
P.S. Comment on my album shows co. website, phone #, price

ImageImage
TomFoolery

City: Punta Gorda
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: TomFoolery
MMSI Number: 338203692

Re: Retractable Screen Door

Postby coreychamness on Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:54 pm

Tom, you may be a lifesaver. I've been trying to find a company to do this for me but none seem willing to do the effort for just one door. My wife informed me yesterday that she wants a screen door solution to our R-31 door for her birthday in November so this is timely. I looked at the two pictures on your album and I don't see where I can view a comment to see the information you mentioned. I only see where I can add a comment myself. Can you post or email details?

thanks,
Corey
coreychamness

City: Falls Church
State/Province: VA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Tugs 'n Kisses
MMSI Number: 338175171

Postby SGIDAVE on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:25 pm

Tom that looks great! Please post screen door particulars - make, model, where you purchased, how you modified it for your installation, etc.

thanks,

dave
Dave
2013 Ranger R21-EC For Sale - (http://www.tugnuts.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9194)
SGIDAVE

City: Dublin
State/Province: GA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Tug Tide (2013)
MMSI Number: 338162327

Postby TomFoolery on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:25 pm

Sorry guys, I'm kinda new at this. I put a comment on the first pic in the album. I finally figured out how to embed a picture from my album into a post! Here is the info on the screen door:

Screen Solutions, Inc. Austin, TX.
Phone: 866-571-8870
Web: http://www.PlisseScreen.com
Online price: $219.00 Includes shipping
Doug is very helpful and can guide you through the measuring process. (Very important!) Feel free to mention me if you like, he is familiar with the Ranger Tugs.

The "engineering" I mentioned is really just adding 3/4" wood spacers between the Ranger door frame and the screen door frame. This provides a level surface and allows room for the screen door handle to clear the Ranger door frame. I cut the spacers to fit the screen door frame. I had received color samples from them and their stock color "Oiled Bronze" is close to the Ranger color. I took the color sample to Home depot and they made a color match sample (7oz. $3.00) which I used to paint the spacers before attaching them to the screen door frame. Since the spacers are "sandwiched" between the Ranger frame and the screen door frame, I just used wood glue to attach them to the screen door frame. Doug and I had agreed that their surface mount adapter would work best on the port side so that was included with the order. I plumbed that side and screwed it into the cockpit wall. The starboard side was shimmed and screwed into the head wall and that was it!

Hope this makes sense,
Tom
TomFoolery

Postby TomFoolery on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:33 pm

Forgot two things, if you zoom in on the first pic (inside shot) you might be able to see the piece of molding I cut and stained to cover up the small gap between the head wall and the screen door frame.

Also, you'll need to remove the sticky velcro (used to secure the window cover) on the Ranger door frame and re-attach it to the screen door frame if you intend to use the cover.
TomFoolery

Postby Sea Jo on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:22 pm

Nice option ,been thinking of getting a screen door let the nice breezes in keep bugs out.
Sea Jo

City: dallas
State/Province: PA
Non-Ranger Model: 2008 23 venture
Vessel Name: Sea Jo

Postby TomFoolery on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:15 pm

TomFoolery wrote:Sorry guys, I'm kinda new at this. I put a comment on the first pic in the album. I finally figured out how to embed a picture from my album into a post! Here is the info on the screen door:

Screen Solutions, Inc. Austin, TX.
Phone: 866-571-8870
Web: http://www.PlisseScreen.com
Online price: $219.00 Includes shipping
Doug is very helpful and can guide you through the measuring process. (Very important!) Feel free to mention me if you like, he is familiar with the Ranger Tugs.

The "engineering" I mentioned is really just adding 3/4" wood spacers between the Ranger door frame and the screen door frame. This provides a level surface and allows room for the screen door handle to clear the Ranger door frame. I cut the spacers to fit the screen door frame. I had received color samples from them and their stock color "Oiled Bronze" is close to the Ranger color. I took the color sample to Home depot and they made a color match sample (7oz. $3.00) which I used to paint the spacers before attaching them to the screen door frame. Since the spacers are "sandwiched" between the Ranger frame and the screen door frame, I just used wood glue to attach them to the screen door frame. Doug and I had agreed that their surface mount adapter would work best on the port side so that was included with the order. I plumbed that side and screwed it into the cockpit wall. The starboard side was shimmed and screwed into the head wall and that was it!

Hope this makes sense,
Tom
TomFoolery

Return to Owner Customizations