Replace teak & holly on underside of cockpit "porch"?

Have you customized your Ranger Tug or Cutwater Boat? Share your handiwork here.

Re: Replace teak & holly on underside of cockpit "porch"?

Postby Brian B on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 pm

Gin wrote:Brian, have you pursued the U-Dek possibility for your boat? If so, I'd love some details. I've haven't pursued this project on my boat yet, but I'm hoping to get back to it soon. The U-Dek option is one I'd like to explore.

Thanks for any further info you can provide.

Gini

Gini,
I have not done anything further with the overhang at this time, not sure that I will. I do not have the wood on the overhang, if I did and it was moldy I definitely would try the U-Dek. Myself and Knotflying used the U-Dek in the cockpit and swim platform, you can see pics in my photo album. This link has the company contact info viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9940&p=68639&hilit=u+dek#p68639 Give Matthew a call (401-256-7031) and talk to him about the project, (tell him I referred you). I would think you would have to make a very accurate template and send it to him to be cut out.
Brian B

City: West Warwick
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby Gin on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:09 am

Brian, thanks for that contact information. I will call Matthew and, if I end up going this route, I will post on Tugnuts to let everyone know how it went.

Gini
Gin

City: Salem
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Vessel Name: Echo II (2019)

Postby Aadudley on Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:19 pm

Gin,
You might want to take a look at some of the products Plastique has to offer. The company is located in Ohio and will be more than happy to help you. I've looked at their products for our daughters boat and they are pretty customer oriented as well as having a variety of Plastique products and colors. Here is the link .... https://www.plasteak.com

Give them a call, tell them what you have and I'm sure they will be able to provide you with a great substitute for what Ranger uses on that sun visor. I'd love to hear what you think.
Al
Aadudley

City: Medina
State/Province: OH
Vessel Name: True Blue

Postby knotflying on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:25 am

I installed the U-Dek with Brian. After looking at the other products installation I think the U-deck is real easy. They cut each section and it is a peel and stick application. I Think for the overhang this will work out well.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby Gin on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Al, thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out, along with U-dek. Nice to have several options to consider.

Gin
Gin

City: Salem
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Vessel Name: Echo II (2019)

Postby pickles on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:22 am

Hi

Not sure if anybody else has tried this, but I took my panels down and flood poured expoxy over the panels...looks good now...not sure how long it will last.

Pickles
pickles

City: Groton
State/Province: CT
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB

Postby Cutwater28GG on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:02 pm

I sanded and varnished mine this spring. still looking OK. 2012 boat

Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby boaterjoe on Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:20 am

Gini - as all have stated this is a common problem. I have solved it by using teak oil "amazon". That is it's name, but it is also available on amazon. I cleaned the teak with oxalic acid, let it dry and wiped on the teak oil. It looks great. Took me an hour for the whole project. Do that twice a year and you should not have any problems.
boaterjoe
"Flying Turtle" C-28
Bainbridge Island, WA.
boaterjoe

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Flying Turtle

Postby jkhiser on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:01 pm

Finally did ours. TPI on RT 40 in Baltimore will cut the starboard to size, just take in the old teak veneer as a pattern. Recommendation came from the owner shares session at 2018 Pocket Yacht Knot (owner of the last Cutwater on the entrance pier). We did not have them not cut any holes, as I was replacing the lights. Also, the starboard is much stiffer than the plywood, so I did not even try to match pre-existing screw holes.

Got some new Lumitec multi color down lights off Amazon. (Lumitec Orbit Flush Mount Down Light, LED, Weather Proof, Shallow Depth, Multi-Color Control)

Old veneer:

New starboard overhead:

Cockpit with new overhead LEDs, in blue color - nice match to the blue courtesy and underwater lights:
Kenyon & Maggie Hiser
2013 C-28 WENNIWAY, purchased Feb 2018
-----
Prior:
- 2005 Maritime Skiff Voyager 23 (Bessie Jane)
- 2005 Nordic Tug 37 (Wenniway III)
- 1989 Egg Harbor 37 (Wenniway II)
jkhiser

City: Annapolis
State/Province: MD
Vessel Name: Wenniway
MMSI Number: 338165185

Postby SummerSteve on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:32 am

I replaced the quite rotten Teak Holly veneer plywood on our 2012 C-26 with 1/4" King Starboard (also cut by TPI in Baltimore- althought they have locations all over). Very happy with the result. We are planning to add SeaDek to the cockpit and may add to this too...

I'm a bit concerned that no ventilation was designed for the area beneath the mast - it seems to leak a small amount where the wires enter - and with no way to dry out, the interior plywood is rotting. I plan to drill some holes in the starboard to allow drainage and a bit of airflow.

There are photos in my album!
SummerSteve

City: Baltimore
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-26
Vessel Name: Seamonkeys

Postby Cutwater28GG on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:58 am

wow these both look great! congrats!

when going to the trouble of this work, I also like the idea of mounting a smaller additional garmin screen to the ceiling so you can want watch the charts and depth sounder more easily from outside. - rather than attempting to peer through the cabin
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby Godspeed on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:21 pm

I wanted to let others know that I had the same issues with our new to us Cutwater 30S. It’s a 2015 first launched in the Spring of 2017 in Long Island. We purchased the boat this past fall with 55 hours on it. The ceiling was in very bad shape. I took it down and carefully sanded it so that all of the old finish was removed and then after a lot of research refinished it with Perfection 2 part “varnish”. It seems more like an epoxy than a varnish. That said, we coated the exposed side with 3 coats and the back side and edges with 2 coats to completely seal the plywood sheets. We kept the wood in our house for 3 months over the WI winter to make sure that the moisture content of the wood was below 10%.

The finish looks great and should last 10 or more years. One thing I wish I would have done prior to applying the coating would have been to apply a light teak, cherry, or Mahogony stain to achieve a more uniform color to the sheets with out darkening the holly portion too much. That said it looks great now although a little shiny. I will post pucks next time I go to the winter storage shed.

Brian
Godspeed

City: Oregon
State/Province: WI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-30 S
Vessel Name: Godspeed

Postby Martin610 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:18 pm

I am getting a quote from a local installer of Marine Mat. If that goes anywhere I will let you know. Seems like it might have potential.

-martin
Cutwater 28 - Venture
Martin610

City: Jackson
State/Province: NJ
Vessel Name: Venture

Postby Martin610 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:32 pm

The Marine Mat guys installed the new foam on the overhang today. Turned out well for me.

Here's what it looked like before (pretty sad):

ImageImage

And what it looked like after. I had them do the swim step too as my wife slipped last year. This stuff had a lot of traction.

Supposed to be soap and water clean up.

-martin
Cutwater 28 - Venture
Martin610

City: Jackson
State/Province: NJ
Vessel Name: Venture

Postby Brian B on Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:10 pm

Looks great. I’ve had a similar product installed in the cockpit and swimstep and very happy with it (pics in my album). I suggested doing the overhang with the product quite some time ago on here. Maybe RT and Cutwater will follow your lead.
Brian B

City: West Warwick
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Previous

Return to Owner Customizations