Dogs onboard

Dogs onboard! Share tips on cruising with canine crew, dog friendly marinas, anchorages, pictures and more.

Dogs onboard

Postby Dustoff on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Our two dogs refused to relieve themselves for a couple of days due to the circumstances. No land available. Launched the dingy, filled it with kelp and returned to the boat. Decks were then covered with the kelp and we went to bed. In the morning there was dog feces everywhere on the kelp! Fiberglass just wasn't going to work for them.
Dustoff

City: Denver
State/Province: CO
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: The Great Escape

Re: Dogs onboard

Postby Navigator's Son on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:41 pm

I might be facing a similar situation if I ever find myself anchoring out away from accessible shoreline. I haven't tried this with my two dogs, but I see pet stores sell a plastic tray with artificial turf rug to cover it. I may have to start experimenting with that around the house to see if I can get my pups to break it in as a just on case for the boat.

https://www.chewy.com/petmaker-indoor-r ... lsrc=aw.ds
Robert Kondakjian
NAVIGATOR'S SON
2017 R-25SC
Snohomish, WA
Port of Everett
Navigator's Son

City: Snohomish
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Navigator's Son

Postby JamesTXSD on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Pretty ingenious solution! I know that can be a real issue for those who travel with dogs - I feel for the poor pooches, forcing themselves to hold it way beyond any reasonable expectation. :shock:

Over the years, we have been asked about traveling with our feline family members... easy, and no emergency trips to shore.

Kudos for helping out your furry kids!
CD-25, Wild Blue
http://captnjim.blogspot.com/
JamesTXSD

City: Port Isabel
State/Province: TX
Non-Ranger Model: C-Dory 25 (sold)
Vessel Name: Wild Blue

Postby baz on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:49 pm

Our Wire Hair Fox Terrier will pee on anything that sticks up from the ground. Given this, we have a plastic plant in a small sand-filled pot in the cockpit. He LIKES it. :o :lol: He gets a tasty biscuit treat after performing as well.

The traditional doggies delight was also an idea but it was to big in an inflatable form.... (a yellow fire hydrant). :roll:
Barry, (1st mate Gill passed away Aug 11, 2018) & Jake (Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 S Hero Red to be delivered Mar 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 Outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby PetDrs on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 am

Most pet stores, and a variety of other stores that carry pet supplies sell large disposable absorbent pads which you can place on the deck in an appropriate location. If you collect a small amount of your dog's urine and pour it on one of the pads this will stimulate them to urinate (and hopefully defecate) on them. They absorb a lot of fluid and can be disposed off when back on shore. Not the most environmentally friendly solution but a tidy one if needed.

I do applaud your kelp solution! Very ingenious and one I have not heard before in my 27 years of Veterinary practice.
PetDrs

City: Nanaimo
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC

Postby SgtAlf on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:55 pm

In the Forum Index there's a separate category for "Tugmuts" I found a boat load of info on traveling with the other lady in my life. The poop pan is on my list of needed items.
Tony & Kathy
R-23 Sea Holli
Jackson, NJ
SgtAlf

City: JACKSON
State/Province: NJ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Sea Holli
MMSI Number: 338303803

Re: Dogs onboard: p-pads

Postby Kaisardog on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:39 am

our aussie does not like peeing on fiberglas decks. we made her a special p-pad: we visited a golf course and they gave us some cuts of the used fake grass which golf courses use to carpet the tee off areas. we put brass grommets and ropes on the 2x2 foot fake grass p-pads so the grass pad can be rolled up and handled easily. we then got a few human friends to pee on the pad. we put the pad in the back yard for a few days.. the dog got the message... we trained her to 'do her business ' on command the pad , then gave the treat. the p-pad was then imported onto the boat for boating season . it can be easily washed after use, and can stay on the deck outside if you so choose... having the p-pad sure saves us a lot of dinghy trips in to shore.
Kaisardog

City: Pittsburgh
State/Province: PA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Non-Ranger Model: Nauticat 321 sloop
Vessel Name: eagleswing

Return to Tugmuts