2019 Fast Boat cruise to Alaska

Have an idea for a cruise or gathering? Get together with fellow Ranger owners here.

Re: 2019 Fast Boat cruise to Alaska

Postby jagizzi on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:02 pm

Agreed on the fuel concern Baz, but we should be able to plan ahead for it. That is part of the reason this is a 2019 cruise ;-)
Jim and Kelli Gizzi
Next Ten
2018 R23
NWesterly.com
Friday Harbor
jagizzi

City: Battle Ground
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Non-Ranger Model: R-23, July 3rd delivery, yippee
Vessel Name: Next Ten

Postby jagizzi on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi Mark, or Dea ;-)

At this point anything might help. I haven't shared a Google Map with a group before, have you?

It would be nice to have someway of tracking maps, lists etc as well as communications. I don't know the best way for that at this point but will give it some thought.

Jim
Jim and Kelli Gizzi
Next Ten
2018 R23
NWesterly.com
Friday Harbor
jagizzi

Postby jagizzi on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:17 pm

So far I have the following list as interested in this trip:

Ernie - Daisy R-23
JtheK - unnamed R-27, in the build process ;-)
Peter and Caryn - Island Time R-23
Mark and Dea - Nixie R-23
Jim - Next Ten R-23

5 boats so far, which ought to make enough for a great trip as well as a safe one.

I plan on sitting down with Sam to pick his brain a bit about what we need to do and plan but am certainly open to any suggestions or ideas anyone else has at this point.

Really, I would most like to get some type of web space for us to collaborate and archive info. I will ask around on this as well.

Jim
Jim and Kelli Gizzi
Next Ten
2018 R23
NWesterly.com
Friday Harbor
jagizzi

Postby baz on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:24 pm

Jim: What is the estimate for the time it would take for the round trip ? That is, how many weeks, and would the boats return as a group as they obviously would for the outbound trip ?

I ask this as my #2 daughter and long-time partner (a German fella :) ) is/are showing interest in this trip. Thus it could be that 3 of us would make the trip with y'all in our R-27/OB and of course share the total cost of the adventure between the 3 of us. :D

It could be that daughter and partner would fly back from Alaska once we reach there as that would mean less time off work for them.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB IoM LAXEY, Hero Red Delivery Mar 27, 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: TBD......

Postby jagizzi on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Barry, we haven't worked any of this out yet :-) Everything is still in the discussion stage at this point and we don't yet have stops planned.

Have said that I would hink that we should be able to make it up there in two weeks unless folks want to take our time on the way up.

My initial thought, subject to discussion and change is to get up there and then mosey back. Maybe total of 6 weeks. But I could also see splitting up and having two groups return on different schedules.

Jim
Jim and Kelli Gizzi
Next Ten
2018 R23
NWesterly.com
Friday Harbor
jagizzi

Postby NewMoon on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:59 am

Fuel stops - here are a couple of posts I made a few years ago. Still mostly correct, I think.

Inside Passage – Distance between fuel stops 2/15/2010

Longest distance between fuel stops:

We've wandered pretty much all over the Inside Passage in BC and SE Alaska, in all sorts of different directions. Sitka, Elfin Cove, Glacier Bay, Juneau, Haines, Skagway, and most points south of there.

Distances are from tested routes in my chartplotter. They're in Nautical Miles. To convert NM to statute miles, multiply by 1.15.

You can get to most places you'd want to go in a small boat if you can COMFORTABLY (with a good reserve to handle weather changes etc) go 140 nautical miles on a tank. If you have 200-300 NM range you have a lot more flexibility in your routes, but I don't think there's anywhere much more than 140 NM from the next fuel stop. Many are a lot closer together than that.

One place which would take significantly longer range to get to is the fancy glaciers up at the end of the Tracy Arm, the entrance of which (assume at Tracy Arm Cove, the anchorage just inside Holkham Bay) is about 55 NM south from downtown Juneau, or 70 NM from Auke Bay. The run up to the glaciers from Tracy Arm Cove is 26 NM each way. So you'd need about 160-190 NM range, depending on where you start and end up.

Some of the other longest runs between fuel stops:

Petersburg-Juneau (downtown): 120 NM

Petersburg-Sitka: 153 NM, but you could stop for fuel at Angoon (some days) or Tenakee Springs (by going out of your way)

Auke Bay-Sitka (via Peril Strait): 131 NM

Hoonah-Sitka (via Peril Strait): 126NM

Glacier Bay, Bartlett Cove-Margerie Glacier and back: minimum about 130 NM, depending on where you anchor overnight.

Shearwater-Prince Rupert: 170-180 NM, but you could stop for fuel at Klemtu or Hartley Bay.

9/29/2011 – Fuel Stops on the Inside Passage

There are lots of fuel docks in the San Juans, Gulf Islands, and along the BC mainland on the east side of the Strait of Georgia. There's fuel at Campbell River and a few other places in the Desolation Sound area. North of there fuel docks are further apart.

There are fuel stops on the west side of Vancouver Island, but I'm not current on that area.

We've been cruising mostly SE Alaska the last few summers, so may not be current on BC fuel dock changes - I've heard that some have closed down rather than upgrade facilities as required. The Waggoner Guide may be a good source of more current BC info. But, here are some we know of:

Broughtons and Queen Charlotte Strait:

Lagoon Cove
Pierre's at Echo Bay
Port McNeill
Sullivan Bay
Port Hardy

BC North Coast:

Duncanby Landing
Dawson's Landing
Bella Bella
Shearwater
Bella Coola
Klemtu
Hartley Bay
Kitimat
Prince Rupert

SE Alaska:

Ketchikan
Thorne Bay
Wrangell
Petersburg
Kake
Point Baker
Angoon (M-F, I think)
Tenakee Springs
Sitka
Craig
Juneau
Hoonah
Bartlett Cove (Glacier Bay)
Elfin Cove
Pelican
Haines
Skagway

Not positive, but I believe most if not all of these have both gas and diesel.
Richard Cook
Dream Catcher (Nordic Tug 37)
New Moon (Bounty 257, 1998-2018)
Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, 1991-1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
NewMoon

City: Holladay
State/Province: UT
Non-Ranger Model: Nordic Tug 37
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
MMSI Number: 367733860

Postby jagizzi on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:27 am

Well, that is food for some careful thought. There may be some slow days to improve mileage.
Jim and Kelli Gizzi
Next Ten
2018 R23
NWesterly.com
Friday Harbor
jagizzi

Postby jagizzi on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:11 pm

Does anyone else want to sign up for the Waggoner Seminar "Cruising the Inside Passage to Alaska"? The class is 3 days in Anacortes, Mar 16-18. Cost is $225 per person or $395 for two.

Here is a link to the seminar description:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cruising-t ... 30?aff=es2

I am definitely going to attend but if someone else were interested we could get the two ticket deal. Let me know by Monday if anyone else is interested.

Jim
Jim and Kelli Gizzi
Next Ten
2018 R23
NWesterly.com
Friday Harbor
jagizzi

Postby jagizzi on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:49 pm

Also, from someone that is thinking about going can I get an email address, really from everyone at some point but for now just one.

I would like to try and set up sharing on Google Drive and need someone to work with me on this. The first step is an email address. Mine is below.

I am up in Friday Harbor this weekend so may not be quick to respond but I definitely will have time to try and set this up.

Let me know,

Thanks,

Jim
jim@jimwahomes.com
Jim and Kelli Gizzi
Next Ten
2018 R23
NWesterly.com
Friday Harbor
jagizzi

Postby Cutwater28GG on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:52 pm

for the long days could fuel bladders help? roll them up and store on the bow when not in use?

examples from a large boat the MV Dirona (nordhaven) crossing the atlantic http://mvdirona.com/2017/04/fuel-option-value-speed-safety/
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby Cutwater28GG on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:54 pm

also what cruise speed are you guys thinking with the O/B's?
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby jagizzi on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:48 pm

I was looking at fuel bladders. We need a bit more detailed planning before we'll know if it will be necessary.

As far as cruising speed, based on the boats we are talking about I would think 18-25 mph when prudent and possible.

That seems to be the sweet spot for fuel consumption based on what I am hearing from folks.

Jim
Jim and Kelli Gizzi
Next Ten
2018 R23
NWesterly.com
Friday Harbor
jagizzi

Postby S@LTD on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:10 pm

We are also planning to be up there during that time and since wedo not have the luxury of 4-6 weeks we plan to trailer to Prince Rupert and make a loop south to North and back. We did this in the fall to Port McNeil and spent about 11 days in the Broughton's. It worked so well hoping to replicate the approach for Norhern BC Coast and SE Alaska. If anyone else has time constraints it might be an option. Figure we can make the drive from Everett to Prince Rupert in 1.5 days.
Scott and Lil Thiede
Dynamic Duo
S@LTD

City: Newcastle
State/Province: CA
Non-Ranger Model: 2004 Nautique 196
Vessel Name: Dynamic Duo (2018)
MMSI Number: 368038780

Postby Spinner on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:48 am

Here are some of my thoughts based upon my trip to Alaska last summer....

I was in my R-31 and took three months exactly for the entire trip. I was a month in Alaska, and went as far north as Juneau and as far west as Sitka.

Some days were short and slow, or long and slow, some were almost at WOT all day. Those fast, long days were when I was running ahead of approaching bad weather.

I spent at least 8 days total waiting for decent weather at Port McNeill (the jump off point for the Cape Caution crossing headed north) and Prince Rupert (jumping off point for crossing Dixon Entrance headed north).

I had a really long day headed south - went from Shearwater to Port McNeill n one day. I think it’s about 120 nautical miles and as I was stuck in Shearwater waiting for a new block and tackle to be flown in, I couldn’t leave until 1:30 in the afternoon. I had to cross Cape Caution that day or get stuck again waiting days for reasonable conditions.

The point I am making is that you need to build in at least a week for weather delays. I spent at least that long, and I am infamous for heading out in pretty nasty weather :-D.

You might want to consider leaving some schedule space for those times when you want to slow down and watch whales and bears, and admire the scenery In addition, Sam makes a good point about fuel. I had to make a major detour because I had to leave early to catch the tide in Rocky Pass but the fuel truck in Kake wasn’t available that early. When I arrived the day before, no fuel was available because it was the 4th of July.

All that said, I had a great time and wouldn’t hesitate to do the trip again.
Sue Peterson
Current Nordic Tug 42 Spinner
Former R-31 Spinner
Elliott Bay Marina
Spinner

City: Bellevue
Non-Ranger Model: (Former RT31) Current 2003 Nordic Tug 42
Vessel Name: Spinner

Postby oneeyedjackass on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:33 am

So here is my first map attempt. Just a visual of 20dauntless's locations on a map layer. I will work on another layer showing fuel stops. feel free to add your own info

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Hez9qLALkM-8Mm8LYNZAWfP9rgqIV5gH&usp=sharing
Mark & Dea.....NIXIE
oneeyedjackass

City: Blue Jay
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: NIXIE

PreviousNext

Return to Cruises and Gatherings