Dinghy, motor, davit arrangement for R 31 CB

Have an idea for a cruise or gathering? Get together with fellow Ranger owners here.

Re: Dinghy, motor, davit arrangement for R 31 CB

Postby Red Fury on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:53 pm

Tim8806 wrote:Following up, I followed the advice of Scotty Mac (see above) and did go to the Portland Pudgy facility in Portland, Maine. We purchased a Pudgy and consulted our boat yard about transporting with a Weaver system. for which we already had some parts. The bad part is that the boat yard felt it had to haul the boat to install the davit, so, I'm dreading the bill for that. At least we'll have a good, seaworthy dinghy firmly attached to the boat. As for a motor, we went with a Suzuki 2.5 horse.

Tim

What color Pudgy did you go with? We just ordered one for our R27. I have been struggling with which color to get. The white looks nice and complements our tug nicely. The yellow sticks out like a sore thumb but, it is highly visible and can always be seen or located easily. So it’s down to “looks good” or “I can pick my pudgy out of a crowd at 2 miles away”. I ordered the white then called back and switched to yellow. Not sure yet if I want to switch again back to white....
Bryan Nix
2017 R27 Classic "Bonny Lass"
Red Fury

City: Fredericksburg
State/Province: VA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Bonny Lass
MMSI Number: 338244197

Postby baz on Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:41 pm

The Sunset Yellow was my choice for my previous R-25 Classic. I chose it for being seen on the waters that can appear gray/white. I was told it can be seen over a distance of 2 nautical miles quite easily. My R-25 had a blue hull so the yellow complimented that for me IMO.

I used a 4:1 block and tackle to lift/lower the Pudgy which required no more than 20 lbs of effort for me... using a 1/4" line. It's important for this arrangement to get a click/snap/hold on the block so that it's easy to arrest the lowering or lifting at some point. This was new necessary when fueling as the Pudgy had to be lowered from leaning on the rails to a vertical position and held there while fueling.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB IoM LAXEY, Hero Red Delivery Mar 27, 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: TBD......

Postby YukonRon on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:49 pm

baz wrote:I used a 4:1 block and tackle to lift/lower the Pudgy which required no more than 20 lbs of effort for me... using a 1/4" line.

We have a Portland Pudgy that stands on edge with davits on the swimstep of our R25sc. The only thing we don't like is the weight when lifting it up to its resting position on edge. Just tonight at dinner my wife and I were discussing this, and decided a block and tackle would solve the problem. We guess-timated a 4:1 ratio would probably suffice.
Thanks Baz for the timely input to confirm this!
Gotta love the Tugnuts forum!
Ron & Barb
Whitehorse, Yukon
Yukon Ranger
2013 R25sc
YukonRon

City: Whitehorse
State/Province: YT
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Yukon Ranger
MMSI Number: 316023451

Postby Tug Travelers on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:43 pm

BB Marine had requested pictures of our davit on our 31.

Here are a couple of shots. I apologize for the delay. Let's just say I had some technical difficulties.

When I use the davit I use a dowel and a ratchet strap to reinforce the railing on the swimstep.

I linked these to photos in our album. Let me know if there are any questions.

John
Tug Travelers
Guided Flotilla Cruises
Tug Travelers

City: Walnut Creek
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB

Postby BB marine on Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Thanks for the Pics. Looks good.I don't have a rail on my platform. I like the design.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Previous

Return to Cruises and Gatherings