Factory-Sponsored Broughtons trip, July 2019

Have an idea for a cruise or gathering? Get together with fellow Ranger owners here.

Re: Factory-Sponsored Broughtons trip, July 2019

Postby S@LTD on Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:39 pm

For those who may have schedule constraints and want to do do this trip and have enough time to spend in the Broughtons, its a reasonable day drive from Everett to Port McNeil via ferry out of Vancouver to Nanaimo. Eliminates much of the weather window concerns too. We did this last year and really enjoyed spending the extra time there vs. the transit time. A great option. The Pig roast is worth it!
Scott and Lil Thiede
Dynamic Duo
S@LTD

City: Newcastle
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: 2004 Nautique 196
Vessel Name: Dynamic Duo (2018)
MMSI Number: 368038780

Postby Sam Bisset on Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi All,

Wow! What a great response. I have 30 boats on the list as of now. I’m going to stop taking names for the time being until we get a few more details worked out.

I’m working with Sam Landsman from slowboat.com to organize a Points FURTHER North seminar for the folks that are planning to make this trip. He has great suggestions on planning, timing, and places to wait out weather or tides on the way. Not to mention a wealth of other fun and useful information (like he always does). Since we have people in OR, WA, Canada, and CA planning to participate in the cruise, we’re planning to live-stream his seminar.

Please keep in mind that the factory is sponsoring the party at Pierre’s and helping to organize the group, but this is not a factory-supported cruise with factory reps and boats in attendance. Anyone that is planning on going with this group should be comfortable and confident in their anchoring and stern-tying ability. Docks may not always be available, especially for a group of this size.

Are there any volunteers to help me organize the group communication and maybe some meetups? Here are the folks I have on the list. Please let me know if you are on the list but can no longer attend. sambisset@rangertugs.com

Berkowitz,Mark and Joanne
Brummit, Mike and Pat
Bullock-Ashley, Veta and Marita
Burnham, Tim and Lara
Champong, Robert and Gail
Cheney, Dan and Lois
Donaldson, Brad and Carol
Elkind, Bruce and Debbie
Fraese, Roberta and Kurt
Gillespie, Dennis and Susan
Gizzi, Jim and Kelli
Goldsmith, Mark and Dea
Gronemyer, Mike and Holly
Happel & McKay, Paul and Sue
Hayzelden, Nicola and Scott
Jamieson, Marie and Jamie
Jansen, Cameron
Johansen, Curt and Tracy
Johnston, Lynn and Bill
Jones, Bart and Lori
Linne, Calvin and Elisabeth
Morris, John and Lois
Myers, George and Diane
Pena, Gregory and Catherine
Roney, Bob and Susan Harper
Seevers, Ernie and Mary Perkins
Vanstone, James and Joan
Williamson, John
Wilson, Tony and
Zygocki, Dave and Rhonda
? , Bob and Erica
Sam Bisset
Marketing Director
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
Sam Bisset

City: Everett
State/Province: WA

Postby oneeyedjackass on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Sam Bisset wrote: Since we have people in OR, WA, Canada, and CA planning to participate in the cruise, we’re planning to live-stream his seminar.

That's Awesome...looking forward to all that great Slowboat.com info! :D
Mark & Dea.....NIXIE
oneeyedjackass

City: Blue Jay
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: NIXIE

Postby Sam Bisset on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:20 pm

How many of you could make it to the Seattle Boat Show on Sunday, Jan 27th for a seminar from 9am to 12 or 12:30pm with Sam Landsman? It's looking like our best option. I'm waiting on details regarding capacity but I think we could open it up to more than just the folks planning to go on the trip.

I'm not sure that live streaming will work since we're in the stadium which has terrible internet but i'll look into it. Worst-case scenario, I'll film it and post on youtube. Sam Landsman said that he would field questions at any point so if you watched the presentation and had questions you could reach out to him.

This would be a great opportunity to meet each other and start roughing out a schedule.

thoughts?

Sam
Sam Bisset
Marketing Director
Sam Bisset

Postby Ernie on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:23 pm

Sam,
I can be at the Jan 27 seminar.
I’ll volunteer to help with this. What can I do that would be helpful?
E
Ernie

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Daisy

Postby Sam Bisset on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:49 am

Hi all,

don't book travel for the seminar yet! We hit a snag with the boat show schedule. Stay tuned, I'll keep working on it...

Ernie, thank you! I'm trying to find a new spot and probably date. I'll post an update as soon as I get more info.

thanks.

Sam
Sam Bisset
Marketing Director
Sam Bisset

Postby scross on Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:14 pm

Sam,
For those of us who can't attend the seminar but would love to hear the presentation, it would be great to film it and post on youtube. Sam Landsman's seminars have a wealth of info that would be valuable to many of us tugnuts!
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Non-Ranger Model: 1984 Addictor 190
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Postby Sam Bisset on Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:59 pm

scross wrote:film it and post on youtube.

Hi Vicki and Al, that is the plan. I'd love to live stream it on youtube but if that doesn't work, I'll just post it after the fact.
Sam Bisset
Marketing Director
Sam Bisset

Postby Joan and Jim on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:25 pm

Those interested in this trip may find useful 5 articles in Canadian Yachting magazine - canadianyachting.ca. They can be found at the web-site's search function. One is from August, 2013 - "North of Desolation sound - the Broughton's for Beginners". At the end of the article are links to related stories which include a four part series in 2018 - "The Passages North of Desolation Sound" parts 1 and 2 in the Oct 25 and Nov 8 editions respectively, Part 3 "Surge Narrows" and Part 4 "Discovery channel" both in the Nov. 22 edition.
Joan and Jim

City: Nanaimo
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Non-Ranger Model: Dinghy "Tiny Bubbles"
Vessel Name: Bubbles
MMSI Number: 316034616

Postby Sam Bisset on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:49 am

Hi all,

We have a plan for Sam Landsman's talk. The folks at the Seattle Boat Show found us a spot after all. We will have stage 3 at 5pm on Sunday, January 27th. Sam's talk will be three hours long. The only downside is that the room only holds 45 people so it will be limited to the people that have signed up for the trip BUT we'll film it and post to youtube so anyone planning to do the trip that can't make it to this meeting can catch up on all the info.

How many of you plan to join us? It's going to be a great talk and great opportunity to get to know most of the group.

thank you.

Sam
Sam Bisset
Marketing Director
Sam Bisset

Postby Ernie on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:01 am

I’m in
Thanks Sam
Ernie

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Daisy

Postby adventres on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:54 pm

We are interested in the seminar as a youtube type post. We have a musical to attend at that same time.

On the Slowboat website they have webinars, which I have watched a few when we were planning for Desolation sound. We are planning a trip to the Broughtons sometime late June or early July due to commitments that line up too close to the pig roast in late July.

Our questions would be the places to stay, marinas specifically, for we are travelling with a dog (which he is still new to us!), so land is important for us. Other goal while up in the Broughtons is to find the white sided dolphin and orcas, our daughters favorite animals!
Karl, Lisa, Maya and Kira Corona and Rusty
2016 R29CB Adventres II
adventres

City: Maple Valley
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Adventres II

Postby Red Raven on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:22 pm

adventres wrote:We are interested in the seminar as a youtube type post. We have a musical to attend at that same time.

On the Slowboat website they have webinars, which I have watched a few when we were planning for Desolation sound. We are planning a trip to the Broughtons sometime late June or early July due to commitments that line up too close to the pig roast in late July.

Our questions would be the places to stay, marinas specifically, for we are travelling with a dog (which he is still new to us!), so land is important for us. Other goal while up in the Broughtons is to find the white sided dolphin and orcas, our daughters favorite animals!

Hi Lisa and Karl,

The pig roast at Echo Bay is every Saturday starting June 30th so you shouldn’t have to miss that. At Echo Bay there is a rough trail leading across the Peninusula that the dog will love. They welcome dogs there as they often have dog related competitions like owner/dog look alike contests! There are several other marinas up there. Just realize they are a bit more primitive up there as they have to generate their own power and everything has to be brought in by boat. Lagoon Cove is nice and has water and fuel. Port Harvey is no more as the owner passed away last year. We didn’t go up to Sullivan Bay or Kwatsi Bay but those are other options as well.

Curt
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby Joan and Jim on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:43 pm

We are unable to attend the Seattle Boat Show. I expect that it is too much to ask that the seminar be repeated at the Vancouver Boat Show in February so we are most interested in taking it in on YouTube and look forward to the details of how to access it. We have never been to the Broughtons. We do not know what we might be able to do to help with planning from here. If anyone can think of ways on how we might contribute, please let us know.
Joan and Jim

City: Nanaimo
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Non-Ranger Model: Dinghy "Tiny Bubbles"
Vessel Name: Bubbles
MMSI Number: 316034616

Postby dkoivu on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:57 pm

adventres wrote: Other goal while up in the Broughtons is to find the white sided dolphin and orcas, our daughters favorite animals!

We were there last year and had a pod of dolphins (about 2 dozen) playing in our wake for over 20 minutes. We were headed from Sullivan Bay to Kwatsi Bay via Tribune Channel and approximately half way between the Burdwood Group Islands and Kwatsi they came from every direction to play in our prop wash and bow wake. It was quite an exciting experience. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.
Dave and Bette Koivu
SISU
2014 R25SC
Volvo D3 200 HP
dkoivu

City: Newberg
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Sisu

PreviousNext

Return to Cruises and Gatherings