Caframo Engine Compartment Heater R-31

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Caframo Engine Compartment Heater R-31

Postby Maximus on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:53 am

Hello All -

With this sudden temp drop on the east coast, I wanted to be ready for real winter and I’m thinking of installing a Caframo 400W BilgeSafe Heater in my engine compartment lieu of full engine winterization.

This is the model:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/caframo- ... ecordNum=3

I’ve noticed other posts talking about this. Is this sufficient for the Cheasapeake, in southern Virginia. Of course I would add a cabin heater.

Where have others installed them? I understand there is an 110V outlet in the engine compartment. I was thinking about the starboard side forward of the hatch lifter along the engine compartment wall (Away from the fuel lines located on the port side). Is 400W sufficient? We normally never see temps lower than 10 degrees and our water never freezes solid in the southern bay. Thoughts? Help?

Thanks!

Rob
Maximus

City: Alexandria
State/Province: VA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Second Chance

Re: Caframo Engine Compartment Heater R-31

Postby Spinner on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:50 am

Hi, I use that heater on my R-31 in Seattle. We don't often get that cold, but it has worked well for me in our occasional cold snaps.

On my boat, there is a 110 outlet located on the bottom side of the cockpit floor below the cockpit fridge. My understanding is that outlet was installed for the cockpit icemaker option. The outlet is hard to see; I had to sort of lay in my back and stick my head in the Port side hatch. The outlet was/is powered by an unlabeled breaker on the 110 panel.

If you don't have that outlet, you can snake the cord forward from the engine compartment and then up through the hatch in the cabin companionway and then plug into the 110 outlet in the "cave."
Sue Peterson
R-31 Spinner
Elliott Bay Marina
Spinner

City: Bellevue
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: Spinner

Postby BradOwens on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:44 pm

I also use that heater in my engine compartment in northern Washington State. It has worked well even in temperatures in the low teens. I also use a small cabin heater in the main cabin, leave all cabinet and head doors open, and leave the water heater on so that I don't have to winterize the potable water system. I do however disconnect and drain the cockpit sink faucet lines.
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Non-Ranger Model: 1979 Folbot Kit Built Kayak
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby BradOwens on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Oh, I almost forgot. I also put RV/marine potable water antifreeze in the bilges to protect the bilge pumps, although with the engine compartment heater, it's probably not needed.
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Non-Ranger Model: 1979 Folbot Kit Built Kayak
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby Maximus on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:33 pm

Gents,

Thanks! Very helpful. Did you mount the heater on the compartment bulkhead? I’m trying to figure out where the best place is. If not, where do you sit it?

Thanks again,

Rob
Maximus

Postby Kathy H on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:49 pm

BradOwens wrote:I also use that heater in my engine compartment in northern Washington State. It has worked well even in temperatures in the low teens. I also use a small cabin heater in the main cabin, leave all cabinet and head doors open, and leave the water heater on so that I don't have to winterize the potable water system. I do however disconnect and drain the cockpit sink faucet lines.
Brad,
Do you winterized the cockpit shower? If so, how?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Kathy H

City: Stanwood
Non-Ranger Model: C30 Sedan
Vessel Name: DeMaris

Postby Cutwater28GG on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:55 pm

I just place mine slightly under the engine on the port side on the raised flat pad at the side of the engine bay. I didn’t fix mount it. I snake the cable passed the engine and through the hole into the hatch inside the cabin above the fuel tank and up to the power socket inside.
Takes about 2 mins to run or undo and then I can start the engine (I don’t run the engine with the loose cable over the belts :shock: )
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby Cutwater28GG on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:29 pm

@ Kathy H
I just undo the nut on the outside shower pipe, drain, and take it off. no need to run antifreeze
Last edited by Cutwater28GG on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cutwater28GG

Postby aculverwell on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:33 pm

I mounted my engine heater on the bulkhead between the engine compartment and the port locker (toward the stern where there weren't any obstacles) and ran the cord up past the engine (zip tied to other cables/wires) and then through the access point into the main cabin. I would have liked to plug it into an outlet in the engine compartment, but I wasn't able to find one. I have a 2016 R31cb-- is there any chance it doesn't have the outlet, or am I just blind?
aculverwell

City: Carnation
Vessel Name: Red Sky

Postby Maximus on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:47 am

I have an R31S and there is no outlet, but I'm thinking about running one below the reefer (I did notice that Ranger wired the reefer compartment for 110V in support of the icemaker, but I do not have an outlet. I have to check if the wiring will support the draw of the heater. I thought about mounting the heater in the same spot you suggest on the port side against the locker, but my fuel lines to the generator run along that wall too and I worried about that - I guess I shouldn't be, right?

At any rate, I think I may mount it on a block where you suggest.

Thanks!

Ron
Maximus

Postby Cutwater28GG on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Cutwater28GG

Postby jagizzi on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:16 pm

I realize that you folks are diesel but wonder if the ignition protection of this heater would allow its for use in a Gas boat, specifically the R23?

Is that something that you folks would consider an acceptable risk or is it wrong to assume that it could be used to protect the bilge compartment on an R23 knowing that that compartment included the gas tank?

Jim
jagizzi

City: Battle Ground
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Non-Ranger Model: R-23, July 3rd delivery, yippee
Vessel Name: Next Ten

Postby Spinner on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:51 am

According to the package, this heater is designed to for use in an engine room/engine compartment. I don't believe it is restricted for use with Diesel engines only.
Sue Peterson
R-31 Spinner
Elliott Bay Marina
Spinner

City: Bellevue
Vessel Name: Spinner

Postby stwendl on Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:09 am

jagizzi wrote:I realize that you folks are diesel but wonder if the ignition protection of this heater would allow its for use in a Gas boat, specifically the R23?

Is that something that you folks would consider an acceptable risk or is it wrong to assume that it could be used to protect the bilge compartment on an R23 knowing that that compartment included the gas tank?

Jim

Hmm, the r23 doesn’t really have an engine room that needs protection with a heater. If you just want to keep some compartments above freezing it should work just fine.

I presume the r23 gas tanks and pipes do not leak fumes into the boat which could be ignited. If they did, this would be a big issue.
Difference between RVers and Boaters:
RVers move until they reach water, Boaters move until they reach land.
Ranger Tug owners can do both :)
stwendl

City: palo alto
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Cataleya

Return to General Technical Discussion