Princess elec 2 burner with oven

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Princess elec 2 burner with oven

Postby Rwnorton on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:26 pm

We have the 2 burner model with oven, believe model 2342. Today my wife tried to bake and use one burner at the same time. This caused the ELCI to trip twice. The manual specifies a 30 amp breaker but the boat came with a 25amp breaker. Is this the problem? Suggestions please?
Rwnorton

City: Charleston
State/Province: SC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Grand Cru

Re: Princess elec 2 burner with oven

Postby Andrew Custis on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:56 am

Hello,

If it was the breaker for the oven that tripped, this would indicate the breaker size being an issue. Since this was not the breaker to the oven that tripped and was the main ELCI breaker, this indicates a potential overload of the system. Can you let us know if you had any other 120 volt breakers on the panel while trying to use the oven? Battery charger, outlets, water heater etc?

Thank you,
Andrew Custis
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
andrewcustis@rangertugs.com
Andrew Custis
Ranger/Cutwater Factory Rep

City: Kent
State/Province: WA

Postby ethanbarnett on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Andrew we had the same problem while on shore power. The oven breaker is shared with forward outlets in the bedroom which are used and it tripped the main too. Doesoven breaker host anything else?
Ethan and Tammi Barnett on Liberty
ethanbarnett

City: Clearwater
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: LIBERTY

Postby BB marine on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:10 pm

This is a common issue when every thing is wired to a 30 amp service. We had the same issue when we first purchased our boat. It was cool out so we had the reverse cycle air on and then used the stove. The ELCI tripped and we had no power.The stove and air unit max the 30 amp circuit. I talked to the dealer that I purchased the boat from and they told me I need a separate 30amp service for the air unit then I could use the hot water heater, stove and maybe battery charger with out tripping the ELCI. My complaint was if the optional air is added to the boat it should come with the added 30 amp service like all the other manufactures do. Not the case. The solution that Cutwater customer service came up with. Use power management. If you want heat or air don't cook, If you cook turn off your breakers to the hot water, battery charger and whatever else is drawing power. You have to keep it under 30 amps. It's all a compromise, it works. When we cook we shut things down. When the air is on battery charger is on everything else is off. Power management !
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby S. Todd on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:32 pm

Power management seems like a small price to pay to avoid having to carry and hook up two or more power cords on a boat less than 35 feet in length. It wasn't all that many decades ago I purchased had a similar size boat without a power cord and never missed it, just had to make ice runs every so often.
S. Todd

City: Indianapolis
State/Province: IN
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Non-Ranger Model: Zodiac Cadet Aero 230 & Innova kayaks
Vessel Name: Audrey Rose (2015)
MMSI Number: 367722240

Postby Rwnorton on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 pm

Andrew and all, all the other 120v circuits were off except for the 120v outlets, but nothing was plugged into those outlets.
However today I cannot replicate the problem. Thanks all and if it reoccurs, I’ll write again.
Rwnorton

City: Charleston
State/Province: SC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Grand Cru

Postby BB marine on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:48 am

S. Todd wrote:Power management seems like a small price to pay to avoid having to carry and hook up two or more power cords on a boat less than 35 feet in length. It wasn't all that many decades ago I purchased had a similar size boat without a power cord and never missed it, just had to make ice runs every so often.

When we purchased the boat I didn't agree. Now I totally agree. One power cord, one 30 amp circuit on board, manage power use, easy system.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Return to General Technical Discussion