New Cutwater 24C owner ? Portable Generator options

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

New Cutwater 24C owner ? Portable Generator options

Postby tedmunds4 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:27 pm

We're just purchasing a 24C and occasionally want to run the A\C at anchor. Will a Honda or Yamaha 2000 be sufficient and has anyone else used other options? We're in MD. Any noise comments? Heard of running Bellow deck, but how to exhaust?
tedmunds4

City: Annapolis
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-242 C
Vessel Name: Seaclusion

Re: New Cutwater 24C owner ? Portable Generator options

Postby Capt'nKarl on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:49 pm

We have a RC 21EC and I installed a 6000 BTU A/C to replace the worthless 12 volt unit. The Honda 2000 will power this unit and the A/C pump without difficulty. We SECURE the generator to the swim platform as long as no rain is in the forecast. Otherwise we keep it covered under the Bimini. Make SURE you have an operational CO monitor in the cabin. We’ve never had any issues.

Cheers,
Karl
Capt'nKarl

City: Milton
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: MANEO

Postby SgtAlf on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:13 pm

I bought this Generator and the two year warranty. Got mine on sale $429.00, half the price of the Honda.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-watt ... 62523.html
Tony & Kathy
R-23 Sea Holli
Jackson, NJ
SgtAlf

City: JACKSON
State/Province: NJ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Sea Holli
MMSI Number: 338303803

Postby ixlr8 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:38 pm

tedmunds4 wrote:We're just purchasing a 24C and occasionally want to run the A\C at anchor. Will a Honda or Yamaha 2000 be sufficient and has anyone else used other options? We're in MD. Any noise comments? Heard of running Bellow deck, but how to exhaust?

What is the BTU rating on your AC unit? If it is 10,000 BTU's or higher, the Honda/Yamaha 2000 watt generator won't handle the load.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby knotflying on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Agree with the above post. Additionally the control unit/thermostat is particular to clean current. The Honda is built a bit different and deliverers the power a bit differently and the controller may not like it. You will also probably get a reverse polarity light on your panel.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby captstu on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:17 pm

Whatever you bye, sure and buy plenty of carbon monoxide detectors. If the wind blows the generator exhaust towards your boat, it will kill you.

All three of my carbon monoxide detectors went off simultaneously when the wind shifted briefly and blew the exhaust for my Honda 2000 W generator toward the boat that had the back door and all the windows closed.

Be careful if you use the Honda long enough it will happen to you too.

Stuart Bell
Ranger 25: Shearwater
(561) 352-1796
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV
captstu

City: Delray Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV

Postby BB marine on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:29 pm

Honda has a 2200 watt, it is a inverter so it provides clean power for all devises. It will provide enough power to run a 16000 btu marine air unit but may struggle on start up especially if any thing else is being powered up at the same time. There is a devise made by Domestic Marine Corporation that will help with that. It is the Domestic SmartStart. They claim with a 2000W Honda the start up for a 16000btu Domestic using a SmartStart is 18amps and the Honda will handle the start up in Eco mode. With out the SmartStart the start up is 58 amps and the Honda struggles to start the compressor. It will not start it in eco mode. Domestic Marine claims a 68.4% amperage reduction on start up using the SmartStart. The amperage draw while it is running in cool mode is approx. 13 amps.

I have been researching a capacitor for start up of the marine air unit using my 2000w inverter while cruising. I came across the SmartStart. Its around $400.00. I'm still looking at my options. I like the Honda too but I agree with Stuart Caution is needed when using a portable generator on a boat.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby S@LTD on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:12 pm

I have a Honda 2000 and yes it runs my 16000 BTU unit just fine. As Brian said you want the smart start by Dometic. My smart start was built into the unit new by Dometic since we bought the boat and had it installed new (vs. an add on) but suspect they work the same. Btw I have the basic Honda not the one with the 30 amp plug as I understand there is a little difference on start up. Next is to add the propane conversion kit from Hutch Mountain.
Scott and Lil Thiede
Dynamic Duo
S@LTD

City: Newcastle
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: 2004 Nautique 196
Vessel Name: Dynamic Duo (2018)
MMSI Number: 368038780

Postby knotflying on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:46 am

S@LTD wrote:I have a Honda 2000 and yes it runs my 16000 BTU unit just fine. As Brian said you want the smart start by Dometic. My smart start was built into the unit new by Dometic since we bought the boat and had it installed new (vs. an add on) but suspect they work the same. Btw I have the basic Honda not the one with the 30 amp plug as I understand there is a little difference on start up. Next is to add the propane conversion kit from Hutch Mountain.

I have the 2000 and it was never able to run the air conditioner. I have read that some of them will run and some won't. I installed the Smart Start and it did not make a difference. Now let's add insult to injury. I left the Smart Start installed. About three years ago my compressor burned out. I brought the unit to a Dometic shop for repair. Now we all know that mechanics come in different varieties and what one says may not necessarily be true. I worked with the mechanic when it was time to reinstall the unit. He seemed quite knowledgeable. He even evacuated the system and charged it with the R-22 freon which did make a cooling difference. Anyway when he saw the Smart Start installed he made the comment that he has seen this several times before, that when a Smart Start was installed the compressor tended to fail. Smart Start removed and still cool. When on the hook I open the hatches and have a fan.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

Postby BB marine on Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:54 pm

knotflying wrote:Anyway when he saw the Smart Start installed he made the comment that he has seen this several times before, that when a Smart Start was installed the compressor tended to fail. Smart Start removed and still cool. When on the hook I open the hatches and have a fan.

Good information. Was the Smart Start a Dometic OEM component? I have looked at several after Market ones that are very reasonably priced in comparison to the Dometic Smart Start. I thought thatDometics add on would not effect the longevity of the unit. I guess it could be a win win for them I spend $500.00 for their Smart Start and a few years later purchase a Compressor. Still looking at options! Hatches and fans work and they are cheap!
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby S@LTD on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:35 pm

In my case it is a Dometic OEM part integrated into the unit. I too was skeptical about the add on and wanted to make sure this would work. Ronnie as so confident though we just made it a condition of our purchase. To be safe at one point we discussed going down to a 12,000 BTU unit. However, Dometic was emphatic it would work and I did not want to compromise. Btw I was told that the Honda 2000 with the 30 amp plug has a bit more juice at start up that makes a difference. Don’t know if that is true but I already hand a Honda and didn’t want to buy another. The A/C works like a champ and I love having both the diesel heater while at anchor and the reverse cycle heat while on the dock.
Scott and Lil Thiede
Dynamic Duo
S@LTD

Postby knotflying on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:53 am

BB marine wrote:
knotflying wrote:Anyway when he saw the Smart Start installed he made the comment that he has seen this several times before, that when a Smart Start was installed the compressor tended to fail. Smart Start removed and still cool. When on the hook I open the hatches and have a fan.

Good information. Was the Smart Start a Dometic OEM component? I have looked at several after Market ones that are very reasonably priced in comparison to the Dometic Smart Start. I thought thatDometics add on would not effect the longevity of the unit. I guess it could be a win win for them I spend $500.00 for their Smart Start and a few years later purchase a Compressor. Still looking at options! Hatches and fans work and they are cheap!

The Smart Start was OEM. As I said it did not work for me. Keep in mind that I have a 2011 with a split system. Perhaps it draws slightly more amps then the systems currently being used. I have the Honda 2000 with the 30 amp capability.

When the tech and I were reinstalling the unit we tried the Smart Start temporarily just to see if it would help with the new compressor, no dice. Like I said, perhaps the newer units draw slightly less amps and that is the difference.
knotflying

Postby S@LTD on Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:50 am

You are probably right on that. Clearly they have made some changes. I got the distinct impression that Dometic was trying to prove something. My initial skepticism was based on similar stories as yours.
Scott and Lil Thiede
Dynamic Duo
S@LTD

Return to General Technical Discussion