Dock line caught in stern thruster Cutwater 28

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Dock line caught in stern thruster Cutwater 28

Postby kcjonz2016 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:09 am

Help,

I caught a line in my stern thruster. I'm having a diver dislodge it but is there a shear pin I may have broken and need to replace? If so, where is it? is there a diagram or schematic of the motor and prop?

Thanks

Paul A Jones
Blue Bayou
2018 Cutwater 28LE
kcjonz2016

City: Stuart
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: FMLC2807G718
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou

Re: Dock line caught in stern thruster Cutwater 28

Postby Brian B on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:39 am

Search thruster removal on this site. There are pages of experiences and tears accomplishing that dreaded task. I don't know if it's any easier on the Cutwater..
Brian B

City: West Warwick
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby dpiano on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:49 am

I’ve replaced both bow and stern over time. There probably is a spare pin taped to the motor; there was one on both motors on our classic 29. Motor comes off easily with allen wrench. It will be obvious where the pin goes. Takes a little time to get the pin aligned and inserted but not too tough. Good idea to buy extra pins.
dpiano

City: Portland
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Spindrift

Postby Red Raven on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Last edited by Red Raven on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby blifland on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:07 pm

Our bow thruster sucked in a line a few years ago. The shear pin did not break, but the gearleg did. The event also chipped the thruster prop and had to be replaced. After removing the line, the thruster worked but not great and it made a terrible grinding noise that got worse over time. I just replaced the gearleg and prop but have not splashed the boat yet. It was not difficult to replace but the gearleg with prop is $500. I am going to disassemble the old gearleg next month to see what is inside.
Hope that your shear pin sheared.
blifland

City: Moss Beach
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Non-Ranger Model: MacGregor 26M trailersail 50hp Evinrude
Vessel Name: KEEP ON TUGGIN

Postby Irish Mist on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Paul
In case you haven't done any of the reading yet the shear pin is accessed from inside the boat and can be changed while the boat is in the water. The gear leg can not. I too sucked in an anchor line with the bow thruster and needed a new gear leg. As mentioned an easy fix once the boat is out of the water.
Irish Mist

City: victoria
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic

Postby stwendl on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:24 pm

Would it make sense to have some sort of grill protecting the thrusters?
Difference between RVers and Boaters:
RVers move until they reach water, Boaters move until they reach land.
Ranger Tug owners can do both :)
stwendl

City: palo alto
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Cataleya

Postby Steeldieman on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:21 pm

When I got a line tangled in my stern thruster last year I was certain l had sacrificed the sheer pin.
However after checking the fuse and seeing it had blown I replaced it and that was all that was required.
The hardest part was getting the fuse in the small Michigan town I was visiting, now I carry several onboard.
Steeldieman

City: Clarendon hills
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Katy A

Postby captstu on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:58 am

In addition to the shear pin instructions, there are a couple of things I "learned".

There are three parts to the "fix a stuck dock line" puzzle:

1. Side-Power employs a strange size fuse - expensive and hard to find. I first changed to an electrically identical "blue Sky" fuse - the entire assembly and spare fuses cost less than one Blue Sky and a spare. I have since changed to a circuit breaker - it makes no sense to use a fuse in this application - since there are times when you should be able to shut it off easily. Again, not much money from Amazon.

2. The shear pin is VERY DIFFICULT to change, at least on my 2010 Ranger R25. I had a stainless pin machined so it would not ever break again. Save yourself the grief. The fuse or circuit breaker can sized to protect the works, eliminating the difficult shear pin replacement for a plastic bag entrapment (for example).

3. The drive leg was bent the first time I had to change a shear pin. Back Problems triggered hiring Side Power to make the swap - and they never noticed the bent leg. Two weeks later when the pin failed again, I was recovered enough to do the swap - and swap the drive leg (not hard to do). Check your thruster drive leg VERY CAREFULLY, it should spin easily and quietly with the motor and shear pin out - if there is gear noise replace the leg. After careful examination, it seems the design of the leg makes it fail before the shear pin.

Remember, the first rule of boating "If it works, don't use it."
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV
captstu

City: Delray Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV

Postby R27ultrasound on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:04 pm

I made the same mistake and pulled a dock line in to the Stern Thruster on my R27. The line was stuck solid and I sheared off the pin on the motor. I lined up a diver and while he was on the way pulled the motor. When my brother was pulling on the stuck line, I noticed that the through hull shaft turned a bit. By turning the shaft back and forth while he gently pulled on the line, we were able to free it (just as the diver showed up). I paid him for the trip, put in a new shear pin and reinstalled the motor. Everything has worked great since.
R27ultrasound

City: Spring Mills
State/Province: PA
Vessel Name: Ultrasound

Return to General Technical Discussion