Raw Water Pump Belt Tensioner

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Postby dclagett on Thu May 10, 2018 7:22 am

I need to replace the raw water pump belt tensioner on my Volvo Penta D3-150. In trying to get the necessary parts does anyone out there know if the belt tensioner can be replaced without removing the water pump pulley assembly? I don't have a new o-ring for the pulley assembly and to get one I need to buy the impeller kit for $63. It is only a single bolt that holds the belt tensioner to the engine. I was hoping after removable of the bolt I could slide the tensioner from behind the pulley.
dclagett

City: Ocean Pines
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: DreamChaser

Re: Raw Water Pump Belt Tensioner

Postby TBates on Fri May 11, 2018 11:23 am

Hello dclagett,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing some issues with the belt tensioner on your Volvo D3-150. I've unfortunately seen this issue before as it sits below the impeller housing. When changing the impeller it's important make sure to rinse the tensioner afterwards with fresh water. You could also close the seawater valve and run the engine for 5-10 minutes with fresh water before swapping out the impeller. The belt tensioner part number is: 21424647. To replace, you'll want to remove the belt first, then there a single allen screw holding it in place. Once the bad tensioner is removed, you might try soaking it in some penetrating oil and see if that fixes it before purchasing a new one.

Give me a call at the office with any questions at all: (253) 839-5213.

Thank you,

Tim
Tim Bates
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
timbates@rangertugs.com
TBates
Ranger/Cutwater Factory Rep

City: Puyallup
State/Province: WA

Postby dclagett on Sun May 13, 2018 10:07 am

Tim,

Thanks for the advice I will try some penetrating oil. Due to a wrist injury I had a "certified" Volvo Penta mechanic change the raw water pump impeller last week at the same time he updated the engine software. He did not rinse the tensioner with fresh water afterwards. One would think VP would know about this issue and train their mechanics better. Oh well, thanks to the Tugnuts site and our boat manufacturer that provides an excellent resource for the owners.

Thanks again,

Dick
dclagett

Postby allanrs74@gmail.com on Tue May 15, 2018 7:23 am

I have just replaced a water pump tensioner on a 2016 R-27 with only 190 hours on the D3-200 engine. Same problem with the tensioner seized up.
allanrs74@gmail.com

City: Richardson
State/Province: TX
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Cherokee Rose

Postby dclagett on Tue May 15, 2018 7:42 am

Yesterday I was able to free up the tensioner by spraying CRC into its casing. Seems to work for now, however I plan to replace the unit. I have the local VP dealer checking with VP if this part is covered by the 5 year warranty. Probably not covered but it is worth the effort before I spent $200. In the future I plan to remove the tensioner prior to replacing the raw water pump impeller. A little extra effort every 2 years to minimize a breakdown and save some $$.
dclagett

Postby BB marine on Tue May 15, 2018 9:17 am

The impeller replacement is done in tight quarters on Ranger Tugs and Cutwaters so the concentration is focused on impeller removal and assembly. I few extra steps in a planned impeller change can reduce belt tensioner failure. Do an engine flush with fresh water before impeller change. It only takes a 10 minutes of running before changing the impeller. This insures that any water draining out of the pump housing draining into bilge and spilling on to engine components is fresh water. Next take a few shop towels and lay under the pump housing, and into bilge area to absorb water and also catch any screws or tools that drop into the bilge. Remove the belt by reducing the tension from the belt tensioner. After removing the belt spray CRC 3-36 on the belt tensioner to protect it from any water that is splashed on it also protect the tensioner housing with a rag. After the impeller change is done spray the tensioner again to help prevent it from rusting and locking up. I also spray the engine mounts, shaft log, seacocks and once a year when I grease the rudder log I spray the steering cylinder and the cylinders connection fasteners. We use the boat mostly in fresh water so this may be overkill but we plan on salt water usage also. I worked as a marine technician for 4 years in the New England area. A spray bottle of CRC was standard equipment. I would think that the tensioner would be under warranty. The engine is a marine engine. The components should be manufactured to withstand the elements of the marine environment, Salt air and moisture. Hopefully Volvo will stand by their product and replace it.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby da156mac on Tue May 15, 2018 2:27 pm

How are you accessing the front of the engine on your 25 SC ?
Removing panels back side of steps into cabin area?
Also just had my service completed and authorized Volvo dealer checked and stated no update to software on D 3 150 hp, looks we purchased our 25SC's about the same time.
da156mac

City: Heathsville
State/Province: VA
Vessel Name: M&H

Postby Chimo on Tue May 15, 2018 4:05 pm

I had the first full season service on our d3 - 150 done by the local VP guys last fall. They changed the impeller since it seemed logical having got as far as disassembly for “inspection “. I’m sure they didn’t spray the tensioner with anything. In light of the issues that people seem to be having in salt water I am wondering whether there is merit in removing the panel under the step etc. to gain access and then spraying the tensioner with CRC as a preventative measure. I normally wouldn’t look at doing this before next November when I will do the annual service myself.

Advice much appreciated.
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

City: Sidney
State/Province: BC
Vessel Name: Chimo
MMSI Number: 316033437

Postby dclagett on Tue May 15, 2018 6:51 pm

da156mac,

There are a couple videos that show an impeller change on an RT27 & RT25SC that you can view. Google "Ranger Tug impeller change" and you should find them. Basically to gain access to the area remove 3 panels: 1 in front of the step, 1 on the side of the step and the last one under the step. If you have the optional cabin heater you will find its fuel pump attached to the panel under the step. One of the videos will show how to deal with the pump.

If your D3 engine needed the software update a letter was sent to the registered owner. I found out that I was not the registered owner for my engine when I received the letter forwarded from the previous boat owner. I had the Ranger Tug dealer where I purchased the boat contact VP and correct the ownership. Also when I went to the VP dealer to get the required SW update they told me it did not require any update. Apparently this SW update may not be well known by the VP dealers and may not be flagged in the VP database for your engine. I called VP Customer Relations in Norfolk, VA and they were able to verify that my engine did require the update and requested the VP dealer to perform the update. The VP Customer Relations person is Dana Hatton, phone 866-273-2539. Good luck!

By the way the SW update eliminated all smoke on startup.

Chimo,

I would assume that the mechanic that changed your impeller would have told you the tensioner needs replacing if there was a problem. It is not too hard to check by removing all the panels to gain access to the front of the engine. Then take a 17mm socket wrench and place it on the bolt that goes thru the center of the tensioner wheel/pulley. Rotate the wrench clockwise and the wheel/pulley will drop down releasing tension on the belt. Then release pressure on the wrench and the wheel/pulley will come up reapplying tension on the belt. Make sure the belt is still correctly on the raw water pump and crankshaft pulleys. If the wheel/pulley remains down your tensioner is not working properly and probably needs replacing. Apply CRC to the tensioner using the supplied tube to direct the fluid to the front, back and openings in the housing. It is probably not good to get CRC on the belt or pulleys, so be careful. Brian from bbmarine may provide some better advice, I am an amateur mechanic.
dclagett

Postby Chimo on Tue May 15, 2018 8:27 pm

dclagett

Many thanks for the info. Since the tensioner was only checked last December I think I will leave it until I service at the end of the year. I doubt it will lock up that fast.

All the best
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

City: Sidney
State/Province: BC
Vessel Name: Chimo
MMSI Number: 316033437

Postby S. Todd on Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:53 pm

I attempted to replace my impeller today (Volvo D-3 150) and discovered my belt tensioner is frozen. I could move it to get the belt off but it did not spring back and apply tension. It moves with a breaker bar but does not move back to the tension mode on its own. I removed the tensioner and soaked it in PB blaster. It does not free up. This is 2015 fresh water boat stored in a temperature controlled garage with less than 200 hours on it. There is no evidence of any significant rust or corrosion. It looks like a design or manufacturing flaw. Does anyone else with this problem know if the design has improved or if the part is covered under the 5 year warranty?
I pulled the original equipment impeller and other than a minor set, it appears as good as new. It spends the off season sitting in antifreeze which I put in for the winter in the event we have a power outage.
S. Todd

City: Indianapolis
State/Province: IN
Non-Ranger Model: Zodiac Cadet Aero 230 & Innova kayaks
Vessel Name: Audrey Rose (2015)
MMSI Number: 367722240

Postby dclagett on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:20 pm

S. Todd,

I agree it is a design issue. According to my VP dealer it is not covered by the 5 year warranty. I used CRC and WD40 and that freeed it up some. I have run the boat for about 8 hours since with no problems. I ordered a new one from the VP parts store online ($200) and just received it last week. I plan to install the new one this week however I am trying to find out the torque value for the bolt that holds the tensioner to the engine block. From looking on line at other tensioner installations it looks like 35 nm. Do you have any information on the D3 torque value. It is a steel bolt going into an aluminum block, so I want to be careful with tightening the bolt.

Dick
dclagett

Postby S. Todd on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:16 pm

I do not have any info on the torque to use for the install bolt. Mine came out without much force so 35 NM might be a little more that I would expect. You are correct that it is a Steel bolt into aluminum. I think that calls for an install with anti seize lubricant but the original appears to be installed without any. The tensioner appears to move on a nylon bushing so I am wondering if regular silicone spray on the new one is called for. CRC and PB blaster did not work for me. I plan on ordering a new one Monday. Can you tell if the new one is designed any differently? I checked our alternator tensioner, which has a different design, and it works as it should.
S. Todd

City: Indianapolis
State/Province: IN
Non-Ranger Model: Zodiac Cadet Aero 230 & Innova kayaks
Vessel Name: Audrey Rose (2015)
MMSI Number: 367722240

Postby dclagett on Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:07 am

The new one seems to have the nylon bushing where the old one is metal. It came just as we were going out of town for the weekend so I did not have a chance to look closely. I should be home Monday and will post pictures in my album.
dclagett

Postby BB marine on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:01 am

The manual that I read states
Belt tensioner,

drive belt ........................................ 35 Nm Seawater pump tensioner and Alternator and closed cooling Pump tensioner.

toothed belt .................................... 27 Nm. Timing belt tensioner

35 NM is round up is 26 ft-lb

If the bolt is close to a 3/8" bolt Grade 8 the equivalent would be 10M 1.5 max torque 55 Nm/40ft-lbs in cast iron .........40NM/30ft-lbs in aluminum , given this I believe the 35 Nm is a good spec.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Next

Return to General Technical Discussion