Active captain to Garmin transition - what a mess

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Active captain to Garmin transition - what a mess

Postby knotflying on Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:36 am

Anyone figure this out? It is hard to believe that such a great service created by Jeff and Karen has been so disrupted. Everything seems to be misaligned. If I go on Bluecharts (which is now discontinued, but supposedly still available to past owners) on my ipad or iphone I can't log into active captain. I also can't download the new active captain app on my ipad and I get a message saying "Garmin ActiveCaptain isn't compatable with my device". When I go to my desktop (windows) and sign into Active Captain I get redirected and then I am on a totally different page with no directions on how to use it or access info. Kudo's to Jeff and Karen for making a deal that worked for them and they deserved it for all of their hard work, but it looks like it will be at the expense of the end user. Very sad.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Re: Active captain to Garmin transition - what a mess

Postby Irish Mist on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:58 am

Sadly lately, we are living aboard and not doing any real cruising ....so although I have been following lots of discussions on a few sites about Active Captain, it has not been an issue while attached to the dock.
I did however see a post about Aqua Map which I downloaded and seems to have all the Active Captain info on it. The down side is some of the maps are pictures of the charts which is fine for me.. cost was $35.
Irish Mist

City: victoria
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic

Postby Red Raven on Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 am

I continue to use BlueChart. New reviews are still added to the data even though I can’t log in. Maybe you only need to log in if you want to add your own review. I am hoping BlueChart will continue to work like this until the Active Captain mess is resolved. Incidentally I was told by Garmin I updating my iPad IOS would break BlueChart. Didn’t happen. I have upgraded to the latest IOS no problem. I suspect what they meant was that they weren’t doing anything to make sure it was compatible with updates. Doesn’t mean it won’t work. Don’t delete it though because you can’t get it back.
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby knotflying on Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:56 am

Spoke to Garmin. The new Garmin Active Captain was only a beta. They now have launched it, but......... it has not yet been approved by Apple. Therefore, you cannot download the App yet or sign into Active Captain if using BlueCharts mobile. BlueCharts Moble is no longer available, but if you have it, you can use it. If you delete it or lose it you cannot re-download it. Also you should get Garmin Express. This allows you to register all your devices and maps so if you lose them there is a record of what you have purchased and then it is a matter of just downloading again to an SD card. In order to "register" your devices you need to have copied your map files from your Chartplotter, then open up Garmin Express, then "ADD Device" If you have several of the G2 vision cards (The scary part) you have to delete the device XML files first which are automatically copied to the card on initial insertion. If these files are not deleted from the card first then the program thinks you are trying to register the original unit again. The Garmin Tech was very sympathetic to our plight and very helpful. I felt a bit more confident after our conversation.
The desktop version of Active captain was also explained a little. When searching you have to be specific. I would also recommend opening the "show marker" tab before doing a search because when you hit enter all you markers on the map disappear and you can't click the "clear search" link unless the show marker tab is opened. A bit awkward, but hopefully more progress in the future. Also some of the features like measuring a path etc. seem to have gone away.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

Postby BB marine on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

This was posted on the AGLCA this week .It helped me. I have an Apple notebook so the App is not available . I logged on thru the Active Captain web site and was able to register and set up my profile again. I used my old log in. Satellite or NOAA mapping is available . Its not really user friendly yet because I think it is a work in Process. I use Safari as my default search Active captain didn't work as well so I tried Google Chrome it seemed to work better. I have the site saved in Google Chrome and use Active Captain with the notebook. We have a 7600 series plotter so the active captain app on the iPhone or iPad is like having Bluecharts of old only better. All charts are loaded on each, mirroring is done just by hitting helm. Updates are done almost automatic. When updates are available I receive an alert, down load it on my phone .When I get onboard turn the Garmin on ,hit active captain it links to my phone and the updates are done. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this continues to work and issues are not developed from this. Right now its a work in progress. I'm hopeful when its all completed and the bugs are worked out it is going to be better. Most all of us on this site have Garmin equipment so I'm hopeful it turns into an upgrade from the old.

Posted on AGLCA
https://www.panbo.com/garmins-new-activ ... whats-not/
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby BB marine on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:35 am

This weekends experience with Garmin, Active Captain App on 5S phone and iPad and Mac book pro.

I received a notice from active captain that I have a update available for Garmin 7612. I opened active Captain app and downloaded the update using my 5S phone. The update loaded and then indicated it was ready for transfer.I also down loaded the update on the iPad ,also indicated it was ready for transfer. When we arrived at the boat I turned on the Garmin 7612, opened the active captain app on the 5S turned active captain on (7612) both linked, I proceeded to transfer the update, I continued to get a message "not enough room in SD card". I have the required 32GB SD card. After several attempts I tried the iPad, iPad linked to Garmin and transfer started. It took approx 1/2 hour to complete the update so far so good but to early to tell if there are any glitches. I honestly think it was easier to the old way to update.

Active Captain using iPad and 5S. I have the active captain information on both but it will not update. Last update was 4/26/18. I have it set to auto update but that is not working. Yesterday I added a comment (Active captain) to an anchorage while using the iPad it auto links to (activecaptain.garmin.com) I put my comment in. It shows up on the Web site but not on the iPad app. which is our Active captain resource while cruising.

Active Captain using Mac Book pro. activecaptain.garmin.com ( using Safari doesn't work good) ( using Google Chrome, better) When the site opens up it asked do you want it to see your location (yes) It shows I'm in Nebraska ! Go to search enter a location with amenities needed 50/50 chance it will show all the marinas and anchorages. I did it 10 times and it would show everything , no markers ,then half the markers.
It all works but it is very inconsistent. I'm not sure If I'm doing it wrong or if it just doesn't work right. When I get everything to work right and repeat the search it doesn't repeat.

I have been playing with all of this since the Ranger rendezvous in Florida this winter. The Garmin Rep. made it sound easy and awesome. I want easy and Awesome :shock:
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby avpilot on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:26 pm

Thanks, Mike, for the info on Garmin BlueChart Mobile and the reason why we are unable to LogIn/update Active Captain in the BlueChart app. Our AC updates are current as of 22 days ago. Hopefully, this is a temporary glitch and we can survive the summer with less-than-current reviews. We are steadfastly holding onto BlueCharts and will keep a death grip on it until we eventually get backed into a corner and using it becomes untenable. We were glad to see Mark's review of the Aqua Map app. This morning on the Active Captain Facebook page I saw Jeffery Siegel's recommendation for Aqua Map. Thus, we forked over the $US30 for "unlimited and never-to-be cancelled" updated charts for the US and Canada. We now have a back-up to BlueChart (which has been the trusty back-up to the Garmin chartplotter on our Ranger). The Aqua Map feature to upload then delete segments seems like a positive move. You don't need to fill up storage space with charts not in use.

Kate and Gregg
Santolina, R25SC
avpilot

City: Justin
State/Province: TX
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Santolina (2013)

Postby ixlr8 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:04 pm

I have Active Captain on my iPad, I had no issue updating my maps to my Garmin 7612. I also had a note that there was an update to the 7612 available, I chose to not download that update as I thought I had read there was some issues with it. I wanted to verify before uploading. Active Captain indicated there was an update to AC information, I tried to upload that information, it said downloading 0% and then update available screen pop-ed back up. No download occurred. My last AC info update was May 22.
Several times lately when trying to get my iPad to communicate with my Garmin, even though I have a WIFI connection between them, they won't talk to each other. I need to shut off the iPad and restart it before they will talk to each other. Typically my iPad is asleep when I get on the boat, it is not powered off.
The Active Captain app certainly needs more work, it is not really ready for prime time in my opinion.

I downloaded Aqua Map and found for some area's it works well with good maps, other area's we want to go to, the maps are terrible with no detail at all. Yes I did download the maps for that area. I find this to be unacceptable and find the money spent a waste.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby CLF on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:45 am

THIS JUST RECEIVED TODAY FROM GARMIN.....

Dear ActiveCaptain Community Members,

The new ActiveCaptain® website was launched on May 23 and included required privacy protection updates. As a result of this update, you may be experiencing sign-in issues. We're also aware of problems with updating the ActiveCaptain Community data within ActiveCaptain and BlueChart® Mobile applications.

We know that this is a terrible inconvenience to the community, and our technical teams have been working around the clock to address these issues. We are targeting to have these problems fixed by Monday, June 18.

We will provide you with another email update once the issues have been fixed.

As a reminder, due to the same privacy protection rules that required us to make changes to the ActiveCaptain website and related ActiveCaptain mobile applications, we were unable to make these changes in Homeport™, which resulted in the permanent removal of the ActiveCaptain Community.

We regret the impact this has had on the community, and we are committed to getting things back up and running as quickly as possible. We appreciate all that you put into the community as well as your patience as we work to resolve these problems. Rest assured that we are committed to building your trust in us and to expanding the ActiveCaptain Community.

Sincerely,
Garmin Marine Team
Craig Fuller
Trippe Creek
Easton, Maryland
2017 Ranger Tug R-25SC / Tranquility
Map - http://bit.ly/RangerTugChesapeake

CLF

City: Easton
State/Province: MD
Vessel Name: Tranquility
MMSI Number: 338312892

Postby dclagett on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Craig,

Thanks for the update, I will be interested in hearing how folks like the software once Garmin completes the upgrade. Currently I am unable to use Active Captain data on my chart plotter since it is not WIFI capable. I would need to upgrade my equipment and at the present time I can't justify the cost. The last time I used Active Captain was on our trip south a few years ago from Norfolk, VA to Daytona Beach, FL on the ICW. I felt the AC data was a mix, some good and some not so good, both for hazards and marina data. I understand that the AC data in the last couple years is now vetted rather than raw crowd data without review so I would expect the data to be improved. Once I do upgrade my equipment I will try again.

It was great meeting you this past weekend at the Pocket Yacht Knot and hope to see you out on the Choptank.

Dick
dclagett

City: Ocean Pines
State/Province: MD
Vessel Name: DreamChaser

Postby William Thomas on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:53 pm

I was just about ready to download AC onto my I-Pad and I-Phone as well as the Garmin Chartplotter.
Sounds like I should wait until after the 18th.

Bill T.
William Thomas

City: Gold Canyon
State/Province: AZ
Non-Ranger Model: Cut Water 28
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher

Postby knotflying on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:43 am

Another interesting note, I have an iPad 4th generation bought in 2012. Apple no longer updates the software on that iPad. I tried to download the Active Captain App on the iPad and I got a message that the app is not compatible with the device. I wonder if it is part of the Garmin issue or an operating system issue. I guess I will know after 06/18
knotflying

Postby Cutwater28GG on Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:41 pm

the new Garmin AC app needs iOS 11 or later.
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby knotflying on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:01 am

Hopefully that is not the case for Garmin Blue Charts and Active Capatain combo.
knotflying

Postby Cutwater28GG on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:24 am

whilst I dont know I woudnt keep your hopes up. the train of upgrades rolls on and is fueled by apple. Apple wants people on the latest HW and use the SW release schedule to keep everyone moving forward.

even if Garmin has no motivation to actively block old versions its an economic situation. They have to make sure their app works on the latest version of iOS. if there is significant cost managing the source code for two different versions they will force people to use the latest version of the app.
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Next

Return to General Technical Discussion