RT 31CB Volvo EVC upper helm display

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

RT 31CB Volvo EVC upper helm display

Postby Marnis on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:14 pm

Hi all,
I have a 2018 RT 31CB. The Volvo EVC display at the upper helm only shows two items. When engine is not running it displays engine 1 START. When I press the button on the screen bellow the word start, nothing happens. If the engine is running and I am controlling from the upper helm that same Volvo EVC display shows engine 1 STOP. When I press the button on the screen, the engine will shut off. This appears to be the only thing the upper helm Volvo display shows. There are 4 buttons on the display, none of which apparently do anything Can someone please educate me on what I may be doing wrong. I am not able to find any Volvo documentation regarding this secondary Volvo helm gauge. The lower Volvo EVC gauge functions completely.
Thanks
Marnis

City: Royal Oak
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Sonny Side Up

Re: RT 31CB Volvo EVC upper helm display

Postby quinsky on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Try pressing the "Station" button on the controls. That activates that helm.
Patrick Quinn
quinsky

City: Murrells Inlet
State/Province: SC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Compass Rose
MMSI Number: 338302374

Postby Marnis on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:14 pm

Activating the helm is not a problem. The upper helm works properly when I select it. The upper helm Volvo display exhibits the problems I outlined above. The issue is the apparent limited functionality of the Volvo display at the upper helm. Thanks for your comment though.
Marnis

Postby Wee Venture on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:04 pm

I also have a 2018 R-31CB. The Volvo pad at the command bridge has limited functionality. It only starts and stops the engine, unlike the pad at the cabin helm. If you want though, you can configure your Garmin display to keep track of Volvo engine parameters. To start and stop the engine from the CB, you need to turn the ignition on at the lower helm, put the lower helm lever in neutral and then at the CB, transfer the station to the upper controls. If you have done this and the engine still won’t start, it sounds to me like something is not working properly.

John Bachelor
Wee Venture

City: Kenmore
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: Wee Venture
MMSI Number: 368003370

Postby Marnis on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:27 pm

Thanks for the reply. Today I was able to start and stop the engine from the Volvo EVC display at the upper helm. I believe that you are correct in stating that the upper helm Volvo display is limited to only the start and stop functions of the engine.
Marnis

Postby kevin_summit on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:28 pm

Marnis wrote:Hi all,
I have a 2018 RT 31CB. The Volvo EVC display at the upper helm only shows two items. When engine is not running it displays engine 1 START. When I press the button on the screen bellow the word start, nothing happens. If the engine is running and I am controlling from the upper helm that same Volvo EVC display shows engine 1 STOP. When I press the button on the screen, the engine will shut off. This appears to be the only thing the upper helm Volvo display shows. There are 4 buttons on the display, none of which apparently do anything Can someone please educate me on what I may be doing wrong. I am not able to find any Volvo documentation regarding this secondary Volvo helm gauge. The lower Volvo EVC gauge functions completely.
Thanks

Hello,

Yes the upper helm control ONLY starts and stops the engine, there are no other functions tied to this. If you want engine information I would recommend setting up your Garmin screen to show RPM's, temp, oil psi etc. Let me know if you need help with doing this as you can have your Nav chart on with engine info on the right side of the screen and is easy to configure. My email is below in my signature, email is best to get a hold of me.

Thank you,
Kevin Lamont
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
kevinlamont@rangertugs.com
kevin_summit

City: kent
State/Province: WA

Return to General Technical Discussion